WINDY CITY TIMES
by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 1783 times since Wed May 16, 2001
Hot on the high heels of Boy George's recent Essential Mix disc comes this compilation Pete Tong's Essential Mix ( London/Sire ) from "Britain's best-loved dance DJ." This non-stop 15-track dance mix represents some of the best "modern electronic music" on record. Quintessentially hip, Tong mixes the familiar ( Photek ) with the unfamiliar ( Rui Da Silva, Planet Funk ) for an exciting dancing and listening experience. Standout cuts include "American Booty" ( Jakatta ) , "Always" ( Mr. DJ ) , "Muzik" ( Trisco ) , "Deliver Me" ( Sister Bliss featuring John Martyn ) , and "Chase The Sun" ( the aforementioned Planet Funk ) .
Beginning with the sound of applause from a live track sample, on the song "You See The Trouble With Me" by Black Legend, circuit DJ legend Lehman earns the manufactured ovation on Circuit Sessions 4: Manny Lehman ( 4 Play ) . Here's a man who won't stop until you get enough, and that means making sure that the dance floor isn't still for a moment by spinning a mix that includes Amber ( "Love One Another" ) , DJ Donut ( "All Mixed Up" ) , Morel ( "True" ) , a classic vocal track such as "Check It Out" by Karmadelic with Sandy B, and "Cheeky Armada" by Illicit featuring Grandma Funk. This circuit is in session!
You may not know Jack Dangers name, but you probably know his work with the futuristic semi-industrial band Meat Beat Manifesto. On Hello Friends! ( Shadow ) , he unravels remixes of Tino Corp. tracks by the likes of MBM, Tino, Loop Finder General, Bo Square, and Dimensional Holofonic Sound for a truly unique and diverse collection of sounds and styles. For me, the biggest surprise is that no matter how experimental many of the tracks are, the disc is very accessible. Highlights include "Christmas In Hawaii," "Structures," and "House Of God."
Fauna Flash's Fusion ( Compost ) is an album of drum'n bass with a German accent which also fuses with other musical styles. "Mother Nature," for instance, with all of its references to Jah, is electronic reggae dub. "Percussion," a "tribute to Tito Puente," has a percussive Latin beat that's hard to resist. "Ten" is classic dance music in all its glory, while "Sunday At The Getty" is post-modern jazz and "Question" answers with hip-hop rhymes.
The remaining tracks are fast-moving drum'n bass that suggest and encourage both fusion and contortion.
Before I say anything else about the gorgeous Solace ( V2 ) disc by Mandalay, I want to acknowledge the dazzling taste of this British duo ( Saul Freeman and Nicola Hitchcock ) for their cover of Phoebe Snow's "I Don't Want The Night To End." That said, I want to strongly recommend this atmospheric disc for the way that it establishes and maintains a mood that is alternately emotionally warm and eerily distant and cool. Opening track "Not Seventeen" sets the tone and tracks such as the appropriately titled "Beautiful," "Deep Love," "This Life," and "Kissing The Day," offer variations on the theme, which always involves Hitchcock's breathy but bold vocals. If you like what you hear, the album is available as a double disc set, with remixes by Cevin Fisher, Victor Calderone, Alex Reece, and Wagon Christ ( a/k/a Luke Vibert ) , to mention a few.
This article shared 1783 times since Wed May 16, 2001
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula' 2021-10-17|
- The ongoing comic Superman: Son of Kal-El, by writer Tom Taylor and artist John Timms, launched in July and saw Jon Kent officially take up the mantle of the Man of Steel now that his father, ...
|CIFF, featuring LGBTQ+ films, running through Oct. 24 2021-10-15|
- North America's longest-running competitive film festival, this year's event expands throughout Chicago with presentations at venues across the city, including at AMC River East 21; the Music Box Theatre; the Gene Siskel Film Center; special drive ...
|MUSICALS 'Pretty Woman' tickets go on sale Oct. 15 2021-10-15|
- After a pre-Broadway run in Chicago and being on Broadway, Pretty Woman: The Musical, based on one of Hollywood's most beloved romantic stories of all time, returns to Chicago. The production will run at the CIBC ...
|'Tapping into Ca$h' : CaSera Heining lives double life as DJ Ca$h Era and radio producer 2021-10-14|
- Minutes before DJ Ca$h Era hosted Lollapalooza's first drag show, the Black queer woman behind the stage name was pacing nervously behind the scenes and listening to a drag queen animatedly remind her they were "making ...
|MUSIC Janis Ian's last Chicago concert May 14 2021-10-13|
- In what is being advertised as her last concert in Chicago, LGBTQ singer Janis Ian will be performing at the Old Town School of Folk Music, 4544 N. Lincoln Ave. on Saturday, May 14, 2022, at 8 p.m. Tickets ($48-$50) will ...
|THEATER 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' running through Nov. 6 2021-10-12|
- Black Button Eyes Productions is welcoming back live audiences with the popular internet musical Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog—an authorized fan production to benefit the Chicago charity Season of Concern—playing through ...
|Lyric Opera running seven performances of 'The Magic Flute' Nov. 3-27 2021-10-11|
- Lyric Opera of Chicago is running seven performances of The Magic Flute, Mozart's final opera, on Nov. 3-27. There will be performances at 7 p.m. on Nov. 3; matinees on Nov. 7, 11, 14 and 17, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race' winners, Playboy, punk band, The Dinah, Daniel Craig 2021-10-10|
Video below - As part of VH1's #LGBTQHerstoryMonth project, five winners from the RuPaul's Drag Race winner's circle—season one's BeBe Zahara Benet, All Stars 4 winner Monet X Change, season 11 winner Yvie Oddly, season 12 victor Jaida Essence ...
|Madonna's latest concert film, Madame X, now out 2021-10-09|
- The concept film to Madonna's acclaimed Madame X Tour has debuted in the United States Latin America, Australia, the Nordics and Canada exclusively on Paramount+, the streaming service from ViacomCBS. Fans outside these markets can watch ...
|Book about musician Tori Amos' works coming out 2021-10-07|
- The book Tori Amos: every album, every songby rock journalist Lisa Toremwill be out in the United States on Friday, Oct. 29, courtesy of Sonic Bond Publishing. In 1992, Amosan acclaimed singer, pianist and composerachieved fame ...
|MUSIC Rachael Sage at Uncommon Ground on Oct. 14 2021-10-06|
- Rachael Sagedescribed as an "award-winning singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist and member/supporter of the LGBTQ+ community"will perform at Uncommon Ground-Lake View, 3800 N. Clark St., on Thursday, Oct. 14, at 8 p.m. ...
|Opera singer Ketelson to give Center on Halsted performance 2021-10-05|
- World renowned bass-baritone opera singer Kyle Ketelsen will perform Italian arias at the Center on Halsted to raise funds both to support his alma mater, Clinton (Iowa) High School (Vocal Department) and Care for Real Pantry ...
|Pride Fest sees rainbows over rain 2021-10-05|
- After last year's COVID-related cancellation, the LGBTQ+-focused outdoor affair Pride Fest returned to Lake View after a delay of a few months, as it usually takes place in June. An additional full day was added to ...
|R. Kelly found guilty of racketeering 2021-09-27|
- On Sept. 27, a federal jury in Brooklyn convicted embattled R&B singer R. Kelly of racketeering by a federal jury in Brooklyn, the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York said, according to ...
|THEATER 'Moulin Rouge!,' gay play 'The Inheritance' win top Tonys 2021-09-27|
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical was the runaway winner at the Tony Awards on Sept. 26, snagging 10 awards. Among its honors were Best Musical, Best Performance By an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical ...