WINDY CITY TIMES
||Creative Minds Talks: Chance the Rapper + Renee Fleming event cancelled
This article shared 1921 times since Thu Dec 27, 2018
[THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED]
Lyric Opera House is proud to host Creative Minds Talks once again on Jan. 12, 2019, when award-winning rapper, producer, and philanthropist Chance the Rapper joins celebrated operatic singer, arts activist, and Lyric Creative Consultant RenÃ©e Fleming. These two dynamic artists will participate in a conversation onstage as they discuss activism, philanthropy, entrepreneurship, and the future of education
Chancelor Bennett, Chance the Rapper, is a hip-hop artist, singer, songwriter, record producer, and humanitarian whose rise to mainstream success has been unprecedented as an independent artist. In 2017, his album, Coloring Book, became the first streaming-only album to be nominated for and to win a Grammy. Without even signing a record deal, Bennett has undoubtedly changed the music industry forever. Bennett has been intentional with using his ever-growing popularity to give back to Chicago, especially the youth who admire him. In 2014, Bennett began his philanthropic efforts by using #savechicago to stop gun-violence for 42 hours. In 2016, Bennett then unveiled his nonprofit organization, SocialWorks, which aims to empower the youth through the arts, education and civic engagement. Proceeds of this event benefit SocialWorks.
RenÃ©e Fleming is one of the most highly-acclaimed singers of our time. Awarded the National Medal of Arts by President Obama, she is a four-time Grammy Award winner, and has sung for momentous occasions from the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony to the Diamond Jubilee Concert for Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace. In 2014 RenÃ©e became the first classical artist ever to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the Super Bowl, and in 2018 she won a Tony Award nomination for her performance in Carousel on Broadway. RenÃ©e is Creative Consultant at Lyric Opera of Chicago, and Artistic Advisor to the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, where she spearheads a collaboration with the NIH focused on the science connecting music, wellness, and the brain. She is known for bringing new audiences to classical music and opera, and is known not only for her collaborations with classical artists but with crossover and pop icons. She will return to the Lyric Opera of Chicago stage on March 23, 2019 in celebration of the 25th anniversary of her Lyric stage debut.
Art of Storytelling with Chance the Rapper and RenÃ©e Fleming takes place Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019 at the Lyric Opera House at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6 p.m. Tickets are $55.
About Creative Minds Talks
Creative Minds Talks presents the "The Art of Storytelling" through conversations with the brightest minds in art, architecture, fashion, film, literature, sports, music and philanthropy in front of a live audience in a notable, marquee venue. The participants include two thought leaders onstage in a dialogue format. The conversation that emanates inevitably engages, educates, entertains and inspires. With the support of its partners, each Talk aims to elevate creative and cultural worlds. Every Creative Minds Talks includes a donation to charitable causes related to the participating speakers that are focused on fighting global poverty and on arts, education and healthcare for children and youth.
From a press release
This article shared 1921 times since Thu Dec 27, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Book of Mormon's Sam Nackman knocks on Cadillac Palace door 2023-03-28|
- The Book of Mormon is returning to Chicago on a mission to convert new followers into the musical fold. The masterminds behind the satirical cartoon series South Park, Matt Stone and Trey Parker created a smash ...
|Kokandy Productions announces 2023 Season 2023-03-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (March 22, 2023) — Kokandy Productions is thrilled to announce its 2023 season, including two fully produced musicals, plus plans for the return of the Chicago Musical Theatre Festival. This summer, Kokandy will dive into ...
|Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Diplo and more to headline Lollapalooza on Aug. 3-6 2023-03-21|
--From a press release - (Chicago—March 21, 2023) Lollapalooza has unveiled a powerhouse lineup for the 2023 edition, featuring first-time headliners Kendrick Lamar and Billie Eilish along with Red Hot Chili Peppers, ODESZA, Lana Del Rey, Karol G, who will make ...
|Opera Preview: Life of gay World War II hero Alan Turing transformed into a world-premiere opera 2023-03-17|
- It has taken a decade for The Life and Death(s) of Alan Turing to grow from an idea into a full- fledged opera. Chicago Opera Theater stages the world premiere of composer Justine F. Chen and ...
|Lyric Opera of Chicago announces its 2023-24 season 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (3/14/2023) — Lyric Opera of Chicago, led by General Director, President & CEO Anthony Freud and Music Director Enrique Mazzola, today announces the company's 2023/24 Season, which takes audiences on a global tour of opera ...
|House Musical, Coming of Age in the Age of House, coming to Hoover-Leppen Theatre 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Campsongs Productions presents the world premiere of House Musical - Coming of Age in the Age of House, with book by Marcus Waller, music by Scott Free (with Michael Foley) and lyrics by Scott Free and ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce dates for summer festivals and events 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGOToday, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announced the 2023 dates for some of the City of Chicago's most beloved summertime traditions. Returning festivals and events include ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes, Jonas Brothers, 'Queen of Versailles,' 'Bloodshed' 2023-03-04|
Adam Lambert video below - Award-winning comedian Wanda Sykes' new comedy special, I'm An Entertainer, will premiere globally on Netflix on May 23, a press release announced. The special, directed by Linda Mendoza, was filmed in early February 2023 at Philadelphia's ...
|Singer Zolita zips through Chicago on a whirlwind tour 2023-02-28|
- Zoe Montana Hoetzel has evolved into the multidimensional artist known as Zolita while cultivating a massive following. Her personality is multifaceted as well. She identifies as a lesbian, an activist and a witch, but she's also ...
|SHOWBIZ Black queer films, Janet Jackson, Paramore, WNBA, GALECA contest 2023-02-19|
- Queerty ran a piece on 10 films that celebrate Black queer love. Some of them include The Skinny (with Jussie Smollett), Dee Rees' movie Pariah, the Oscar-winning Moonlight, the Marlon Riggs classic Tongues Untied, Brother to ...
|Theater Review: Cabaret continues to reflect on our modern challenges 2023-02-14|
- Title: Cabaret. Book: Joe Masteroff; Score: John Kander & Fred Ebb. At: Porchlight Music Theatre at Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St. Tickets: 773-777-9884 or www.PorchlightMusicTheatre.org; prices begin at $25. Runs through ...
|Goran Stolevski grows up fast with Of an Age 2023-02-14|
- Openly gay filmmaker Goran Stolevski is a triple threat: He handled directing, writing and editing chores for his new project, Of an Age, which Focus Features is now distributing. The film is already taking home trophies ...
|Queer songwriter donates $500K to Chicago Academy for the Arts 2023-02-13|
- Returning to the school that they said saved their life years ago and set them on a path to becoming one of the most celebrated activists and songwriters of the modern era, it was announced Feb. ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11|
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...