WINDY CITY TIMES
||Conn. governor signs gay-marriage bill
News update Thursday, April 23, 2009
This article shared 2228 times since Wed Apr 22, 2009
Connecticut's governor, M. Jodi Rell, has signed legislation that removes gender references from state marriage laws, according to the Boston Globe. The measure also changes existing same-sex civil union into legally recognized marriages as of Oct. 1, 2010.
Last year, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled that same-sex marriage should be legalized in the state. Iowa, Vermont and Massachusetts also allow gay marriage.
This article shared 2228 times since Wed Apr 22, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Japanese poll, Sydney Mardi Gras, mpox, rugby study, soccer player 2023-02-19|
- Sixty-four percent of respondents to a Kyodo News poll believe same-sex marriage should be recognized in Japan, the media outlet noted. In the telephone survey, 88.4% also said recent remarks hostile to LGBTQ+ people by a ...
|Gay Calif. lawmakers introduce Prop 8 repeal 2023-02-14|
- On Valentine's Day, two gay California lawmakers introduced a constitutional amendment to repeal Prop 8the state's same-sex marriage ban that remains on the books despite being ruled unconstitutional years ago, according to The Bay Area Repo ...
|WORLD Church of England, Japanese officials, Hong Kong ruling, drag kings 2023-02-11|
- The Church of England has voted to bless same-sex marriages for the first time in its history; however, its ban on conducting ceremonies will stay in place, PinkNews reported. It was approved after a six-year consultation ...
|WORLD Indian marches, delegation in Cuba, anti-LGBTQ+ investigation 2023-01-15|
- Hundreds of people took part in the first Delhi Queer Pride march in three years as pressure grows for legal recognition of same-sex marriage in India, The Manila Times noted. In March, the South Asian's top ...
|NATIONAL Testifying in D.C., Brittney Griner, marriage law, school policies 2022-12-18|
- WARNING: This week's news contains graphic content. Survivors of the Club Q shooting in Colorado Springs that killed five people and injured approximately 20 others joined GLAAD and other advocates in providing testimony before the House ...
|Cook County's Kevin Morrison attends signing of Respect for Marriage Act at the White House 2022-12-13|
-- From a press release - Washington D.C. — December 13thth 2022 — Cook County Commissioner Kevin Morrison attended the signing of the historic Respect for Marriage Act recently passed by both chambers of congress. The bill guarantees the federal rights ...
|With President Biden's signature, Respect for Marriage Act is law 2022-12-13|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON — The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization — celebrated today as President Biden signed the Respect ...
|President Biden signs Respect for Marriage Act into law; groups and leaders respond 2022-12-13|
-- From press releases - In response to President Biden signing the Respect for Marriage Act into law, groups and leaders release statements. ...
|Respect for Marriage Act passage important step but not equity says LGBTQIA+/ally Catholic group 2022-12-09|
-- From a press release - Dec. 8, 2022. DignityUSA, the nation's foremost organization of Catholics working for justice, equality, and full inclusion of LGBTQIA+ people in our church and society, is pleased that both houses of Congress have now passed the ...
|Groups and leaders celebrate passage of the Respect for Marriage Act 2022-12-08|
-- From press releases - U.S. Representative Mike Quigley: Washington, D.C.— Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice-Chair of the Congressional LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus, released the following statement celebrating the passage of ...
|Congress passes Respect for Marriage Act, sends to President Biden for signature 2022-12-08|
-- From a press release. Video below - (New York, NY - December 8, 2022) — GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is responding to the passage of the Respect for Marriage Act in the U.S. ...
|WORLD Japan ruling, Kenya groups, World Cup, Almodovar 2022-12-04|
Video below - A district court in the Tokyo Prefecture ruled that Japan's constitutional ban on same-sex marriage is legal, according to The Washington Blade. In a statement to Reuters, plaintiffs' attorney Nobuhito Sawasaki said, "This is actually a ...
|NATIONAL Trans officials, marriage equality, Karl Schmid, Pelosi, Buttigieg 2022-12-04|
Video below - Once all of the newly elected officials are seated, there will be nine transgender state legislators (up from eight this year) and nine non-binary state legislators across the country, NBC News noted, citing The Victory Institute. ...
|Landmark step toward equality: Senate passes bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act 2022-11-29|
-- From press releases - WASHINGTON — The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization — today celebrated the bipartisan passage of the Respect ...
|NATIONAL Respect for Marriage Act, lesbian judge, gay official resigns 2022-11-20|
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-New York) said that debate on the Respect for Marriage Act (RFMA) is suspended and will continue on Nov. 28, when the Senate reconvenes after Thanksgiving, LGBTQ Nation reported. The RFMA ...