WINDY CITY TIMES
||Congregation Or Chadash welcomes new rabbi
by Kate Sosin, Windy City Times
This article shared 3442 times since Mon Apr 29, 2013
LGBT Jewish organization Congregation or Chadash is getting a new Rabbi.
The Chicago-based group has announced that Rabbi Cindy Enger will be filling that role come July.
Enger, who previously worked in Chicago as a lawyer, is a former President and service leader of the organization.
She will be moving from Bellingham, Wash. where she served as Rabbi at Congregation Beth Israel for seven years. Her past experience also includes serving as director of the Hewish Program at the FaithTrust Institute, an organization that works to end sexual and domestic violence.
Enger, who identifies as a lesbian, said she is excited to relocate to Illinois, where equal marriage appears to be on the horizon. She said she hopes to encourage a deepened communal spiritual experience in her new role at Congregation Or Chadash.
"I'm very excited," Enger said. "It's a great opportunity with lots of potential to grow with the community and to deepen what it means to be in synagogue community together."
The organization's current rabbi is Larry Edwards.
Congregation or Chadash was founded in 1975 in response to prejudice against LGBT Jews in other synagogues at that time.
This article shared 3442 times since Mon Apr 29, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Or Chadash marks Pride with award ceremony, reception 2017-07-05|
- On June 23, Or Chadash's Shabbat was ushered in with a Pride reception and the Am Keshet Community Award ceremony at Temple Sholom. Or Chadash is an LGBT community group that calls Temple Sholom home and ...
|Or Chadash Pride reception June 23 2017-06-21|
- Or Chadash, Temple Sholom's LGBT affiliate member group, will hold its Pride reception Friday, June 23, at the temple, 3480 N. Lake Shore Dr. The Pride award reception will take place at 5-6:15 p.m.; the Pride ...
|A Wider Bridge reception Sept. 28 2016-09-21|
- On Wed., Sept. 28, Temple Sholom and Or Chadash will host a community reception for A Wider Bridge, featuring main partners on the ground in Israel, Chen Arieli and Imri Kalmann, who are co-chairs of the ...
|Congregation Or Chadash holds final Pride Shabbat 2016-06-29|
- By Gretchen Rachel Hammond A bittersweet feeling was echoed by most of the over 70 people who attended what was to not only be the final Pride Shabbat service but the final service held at the ...
|Congregation Or Chadash to merge with Temple Sholom 2016-06-01|
- Congregation Or Chadash, which has primarily served Chicago's LGBT Jewish community, will hold its final Shabbat service as an independent synagogue Friday, June 24. The synagogue, which opened in 1975, will merge with Temple Sholom, 3480 ...
|Or Chadash Passover seder includes LGBTQ-focused passages 2015-05-05|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Congregation Or Chadash held something different from the traditional Passover seder with "Journey to Freedom: Pesach and the LGBTQ Experience" at Anshe Emet Synagogue May 3. "Journey to Freedom: Pesach and the LGBTQ Experience" was set ...
40 years with gala
- Judith Golden, cantorial soloist for Congregation Or Chadash (Congregation of New Light), and two of the three founding members of the congregation, Bob Cohn and Frank Nussbaum, were honored at ...
celebrates 40 years 2015-04-21|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Congregation Or Chadash (Congregation of New Light) began 40 years ago as a social club and support group for gay Jewish men and since then it has grown into a Reform congregation of over 80 LGBT ...
|Of interest: Or Chadash; Her HRC; State of AIDS; teen web series 2015-01-28|
- Cornel West lecture Feb. 1 at Rockefeller The Center for the Study of Race, Politics and Culture Annual Public Lecture will present Dr. Cornel West discussing his new book, The Radical King, on Sunday, Feb. 1, ...
|Or Chadash congregant
Joseph Shure passes away
- Joseph Shurea member of the LGBT-affirming Congregation Or Chadash in Chicago for more than three decades and a veteran of World War IIpassed away Dec. 30, 2014, at the age of 89. "He was very much ...
|Or Chadash wins Breakthrough Fund grant 2014-06-27|
- Congregation Or Chadash, a Chicago synagogue largely serving LGBT Jews, is among the recipients of grants awarded by the Breakthrough Fund. The Fund, administered by the Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago, this year awarded ...
|Judaism with Queer Perspective, seven session course 2014-02-16|
From a news release - Congregation Or Chadash will present a free seven session course, "Hidur Keshet: Strengthening the Rainbow-Judaism with a Queer Perspective," beginning March 20th, at 5959 N. Sheridan Rd., from 7-9 p.m and runs through May 8th (excluding ...
|Or Chadash receives JUF grant 2014-01-29|
- Congregation Or Chadash's Hidur Keshet program is a recipient of the first round of $5,000 Breakthrough Fund mini-grants from the Jewish United Fund (JUF)/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago. Congregation Or ...
|Congregation Or Chadash receives JUF grant 2013-12-20|
From a press release - Congregation Or Chadash's Hidur Keshet program is a recipient of the first round of Breakthrough Fund mini-grants from the Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago. Congregation Or Chadash, 5959 N. Sheridan ...
|Rabbi Larry Edwards praises LGBTs, congregation 2013-06-26|
- Another chapter ends for Rabbi Laurence "Larry" Edwards as he prepares to retire from his 10-year role at Congregation Or Chadash. Unsure of exactly what the future holds, he plans to continue with his passion of ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|Michaela Jae Rodriguez honored at HRC dinner|
|ALA: 2022 saw record demand of censorship of library books|