WINDY CITY TIMES
||Concert for Cuba July 18-19
--From a press release
This article shared 1816 times since Fri Jul 17, 2020
July 15, 2020( Chicago, IL ) With a final program set, more than 60 renowned musicians from around the globe, from Dionne Warwick to Arturo O'Farrill, to Dayramir Gonzalez to Tom Morello will perform and appear in a Concert for Cuba, the world's first COVID-19 era international music fest. Joining them in honoring Cuba its music and its people, will be a variety of well-known activists, political leaders and cultural icons from Danny Glover to Medea Benjamin, from Congressman Jesus Garcia to poet Margaret Randall. In addition, long time Chicago musicians Erwin Helfer and MacArthur Genius grantee Reginald Robinson have contributed their compositions to the HotHouseGlobal channel.
Being broadcast on Saturday and Sunday nights, July 18 and 19 at 7 p.m. CST ( 8pm East Coast and 5pm West Coast ), the 3 hour nightly events will be broadcast from Cuba and the U.S. and available exclusively on TWITCH.TV/HotHouseGlobal. The official radio sponsor, The Pacifica Foundation will also carry the show live on radio stations across the U.S. In addition, the two nights will be carried via watch parties by hundreds of host organizations across the U.S. as well as in Argentina, Cuba, and Canada.
The Concert for Cuba features 30 performances by legendary Afro-Cuban artists and international recording artists including: Tom Morello ( Rage Against the Machine ); Bush ( UK, rock band ); Michael McDonald ( Doobie Bros. ); Dionne Warrick; and appearances by political activists such as Michael Moore, Ed Asner, Mike Farrell, Ed Harris, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Danny Glover, Elliott Gould, and others who will honor the country's rich musical traditions and the outsized role it has played sending medical teams and aid to more than 30 nations to help tackle the pandemic during the last several months.
MARGUERITE HORBERG of HotHouse, speaks of the challenge and excitement of the moment "After 30 years running a brick and mortar cultural center, we started this event as a small online project to provide some pocket change for artists from around the world during COVID. We've been experimenting with how to use essentially a gaming platform for arts presenting and tinkering with the technology. Little did we know a month later we'd be turning away some of the planets top stars because we were too full in the already six-hour show! What a great problem to have! It's just a rare, and sad moment when nobody can tour, people are at home with their iPhone and able to broadcast their concert performance to our channel."
This article shared 1816 times since Fri Jul 17, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Mombian Database' released
- Mombian columnist Dana Rudolph has released the Mombian Database of LGBTQ Family Books, Media, and More, with more than 500 books, music albums, movies, games and toys for and about LGBTQ families. The site offers multiple ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Tales' star dies, 'Wonder Woman 1984,' holiday songs, 'Drag Race' 2021-01-05|
- Marcus D'Amico—the original Michael "Mouse" Tolliver from the miniseries Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City—died at age 55, Queerty noted. In 1992, he also originated the role of Louis in the National Theatre's London run of ...
|Hell in a Handbag announces annual benefit, "The Morning After" 2020-12-23|
- CHICAGO (Dec. 17, 2020) — Hell in a Handbag Productions is pleased to announce its annual benefit "The Morning After," featuring the streaming world premiere of the smash hit musical that started it all for them, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race,' year-end honors, 'Guardians,' Taylor Swift 2020-12-21|
- VH1 unveiled a game-changing twist from the upcoming season of the Emmy-winning RuPaul's Drag Race, premiering Friday, Jan. 1, at 8 p.m. ET/PT, a press release noted. For the first time in Drag Race "herstory," queens ...
|Windy City Gay Chorus, Windy City Treble Quire present Let There Be Light 2020-12-15|
--From a press release - Chicago, Ill. — Windy City Performing Arts (WCPA), the not-for-profit parent organization of Windy City Gay Chorus and Windy City Treble Quire, is proud to announce its 41st annual holiday concert, Let there be Light: A ...
|PrideArts to screen A Not So Silent Night Tuesday, Dec. 15
- To honor the tradition of gathering around with family and singing holiday songs, even in a pandemic. PrideArts is hosting a one-time screening of the film A Not So Silent Night tonight, Dec. 15, 2020. The ...
|HotHouse to stream Cuban jazz festival "Jazz Plaza" Jan. 21-24 2020-12-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Marguerite Horberg, executive director of the award-winning Chicago-based nonprofit arts presenter HotHouse, today announced that it has been awarded the exclusive rights to stream the 2021 legendary Cuban ...
|Indoor Voices series spotlights Duke It Out Nutcracker Dec. 18 2020-12-11|
--From a press release - The Music Institute of Chicago's "Indoor Voices," a free series of virtual visits with arts luminaries featuring conversation and occasional performances, returns with a new episode spotlighting the Music Institute's ...
|PASSAGES Ravinia producer Stephen R. Smoot, 57 2020-12-11|
--From a press release - Stephen R. Smoot, who produced hundreds of concerts for Ravinia Festival since 2005, died suddenly on Friday, Nov. 27. He was 57. Known for his quick wit and generous impulse to shine the spotlight on others, ...
|Kylie Minogue's 'Infinite Disco' to stream New Year's Eve
- Singer Kylie Minogue announced that her performance event "Kylie: Infinite Disco" will be streaming New Year's Eve, Dec. 31, at 9 p.m. across respective time zones. The performance premiered last month following the release of Kylie's ...
|Cyndi Lauper's 'Home for the Holidays' event Dec. 11
- Award-winning singer, icon and advocate Cyndi Lauper announced that her 10th annual Home for the Holidays benefit concert will premiere on Friday, Dec. 11, exclusively on her TikTok at 8 p.m. ET, with an additional stream ...
|Chicago Cabaret Professionals make a gift of their free gala concert 2020-11-30|
--From a press release - For over twenty years the Chicago Cabaret Professionals' (CCP) annual Gala has been a festive live event. This association of over two hundred singers refuses to be deterred by the pandemic and will make a gift ...
|SHOWBIZ Singer Justin Utley, Gus Kenworthy, video game, 'Jackplot' film 2020-11-30|
- OUTMusic Award winner Justin Utley has released the single "All Is Bright"—his first holiday release, a press release noted. Utley described the song as a little-bit of Lumineers/Mumford & Sons mixed in with a lot-a-bit of ...
|MUSIC (Colton) Ford tough: Singer is back and 'Stronger' than ever 2020-11-28|
- Colton Ford has been an actor (in mainstream, off-Broadway and adult features) as well as singer, but he had see out of the spotlight for a few years—until now. Ford (who's openly gay) is back with ...
|'The Prom' out Dec. 11 on Netflix
- The Proma musical-comedy film directed by Ryan Murphy and adapted by Chad Beguelin and Bob Martin (from their and Matthew Sklar's 2018 Broadway musical of the same name)will be out on Netflix on Dec. 11. The ...