WINDY CITY TIMES
||'Community Parades and Activism: LGBTQ Claiming its Space' on June 4
This article shared 425 times since Thu May 26, 2022
The discussion-centered event "Community Parades and Activism: LGBTQ Claiming its Space" will take place Saturday, June 4, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Puerto Rican Arts Alliance, 3000 N. Elbridge Ave.
An open discussion about LGBTQ/SGL activism in Chicago communities. A panel of Latin@ and African American LGBTQ/SGL leaders will discuss the daring experience of walking for the first time on their community parades (1993-94).
A second panel of young activists will react and ask questions contextualizing that historical moment to current efforts and together discuss how to move forward.
Some of the panelists are slated to include Alden Bell, Bonsai Bermudez, Charles Nelson, David Gauna, Julio Rodriguez, Liliana Macias, Mona Noriega, Robert Castillo and Shelton Watson.
This free event is presented by the Puerto Rican Arts Alliance in partnership with ADODI Chicago, an SGL brotherhood organization for men of African descent; and ALMA: Association of Latina/o/x Motivating Action. The program is supported by the Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation's Broadening Narratives fund.
Lunch snacks will be provided.
Registration is required, as space is limited; call 773-252-8814 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
This article shared 425 times since Thu May 26, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Survey: Americans hold complex views on gender identity and trans+ Issues 2022-06-29|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. (June 28, 2022) — As the United States addresses issues of transgender rights and the broader landscape around gender identity continues to shift, the American public holds a complex set of views around these ...
|Task Force issues reaction to religious-freedom SCOTUS rulings 2022-06-28|
-- From a National LGBTQ Task Force press release - Statement from the National LGBTQ Task Force Policy Director Liz Seaton on the recent religious-freedom SCOTUS rulings: Upending decades of precedent that protected the religious freedom of students across the country and strongly supported our Democracy ...
|NATIONAL Biden's proposal, VP Harris, Elizabeth Taylor, outbreak, candidates 2022-06-26|
- Lambda Legal issued a press release lauding the Biden administration for issuing proposed regulations that will help protect LGBTQI+ youth against unlawful discrimination. The proposed rules, issued by the U.S. ...
|Human Rights Campaign celebrates 50-year Anniversary of Title IX 2022-06-23|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) issued a press release recognizing the 50-year anniversary of Title IX. HRC Interim President Joni Madison said in a statement: "Title IX has had a transformative impact on our ...
|HRC report: Wage for LGBTQ+ women is 79 cents to the average man's dollar 2022-06-22|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released new data outlining ...
|Stonewall National Monument Visitor Center to open, reuniting historic Stonewall Inn 2022-06-21|
-- From a press release - New York, NY, June 21, 2022 — Pride Live, a social advocacy and community engagement organization for the LGBTQ+ community, today announced plans to open the Stonewall National Monument Visitor Center (SNMVC). Set to be the ...
|NATIONAL Sec. of state; Palm Center; judicial nominees; Detroit bar 2022-06-19|
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken held a roundtable with six LGBTQI reporters at the State Department, according to The Washington Blade. It was the first time a secretary of state sat down with a group of ...
|Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame named beneficiary of Chicago Black Pride event 2022-06-16|
-- From a press release - The Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame announced that it will be the beneficiary of the Black Pride Event being produced by Chicago Urban Pride, Executive Sweet Old School Production and Chef Tarrina at Rainbow Beach (3111 ...
|New report looks at LGBTQ+ restaurant workers and job risks they face 2022-06-15|
-- From a press release - Today, One Fair Wage, a national nonprofit representing tipped subminimum wage restaurant workers, released a new report on the harsh realities of being a LGBTQ+ restaurant worker. The report shows that the subminimum wage encourages rampant ...
|TPAN to host Closing Ceremony for Ride For Life Chicago June 19 2022-06-15|
-- From a press release - Chicago, IL—TPAN will host the Closing Ceremony of the Ride For Life Chicago on Sunday, June 19 at Foster Beach from noon-5pm. Cyclists will complete their 200-, 100-, and 50-mile rides to converge at the beach ...
|Lambda Legal names Jennifer Pizer as chief legal officer 2022-06-14|
- Lambda Legal announced Jennifer C. Pizer, senior counsel and director of strategic initiatives, as acting chief legal officer upon the departure of Sharon McGowan, who officially leaves the position June 15, a press release noted. "Lambda ...
|NATIONAL Marriage poll, Family Equality event, podcast, NYC Pride 2022-06-12|
- GLAAD responded to a Gallup poll showing 71% of Americans support marriage equality—another record high for the poll conducted each year since the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing marriage for LGBTQ people nationwide. In a ...
|Texas court issues emergency stop to Gov. Abbott's anti-trans youth directive 2022-06-10|
-- From a press release - AUSTIN, Texas The Travis County District Court granted a temporary restraining order on Friday to block the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) from investigating PFLAG families ...
|Molson Coors hosts return to Tap Into Change program 2022-06-09|
- Molson Coors recently marked the return of its Tap Into Change Programin which proceeds of sales from Molson Coors products at select locations are donated to local LGBTQ+ non-profit organizationsby hosting a kickoff event at the ...
|PFLAG National, ACLU, Lambda Legal file pro-trans youth lawsuit against Texas governor 2022-06-09|
- The American Civil Liberties Union, Lambda Legal and the ACLU of Texas, along with Texas-based law firm Baker Botts LLP, filed a new lawsuit in Texas state court on behalf of PFLAG National and three Texas families on June 8, per a press release. ...