WINDY CITY TIMES
||Coalition Protests Reggae Musician
by Amy Wooten
This article shared 4051 times since Wed Sep 20, 2006
As Jamaican reggae musician Buju Banton performed inside of the House of Blues on Wed., Sept. 13, more than 15 members of the Gay Liberation Network ( GLN ) and Black LGBT & Allies for Equality protested outside, furious that a local music venue would allow an artist that urges the killing of LGBT people in his lyrics to perform.
This was the fourth time in two years that GLN protested outside of a concert by a performer who advocates violence against gays. GLN is currently trying to negotiate with Live Nation, which is in the process of purchasing the House of Blues. So far, the organization has been disappointed by Live Nation's response.
In Indiana, local gay groups were able to stop Banton from performing. The musician's Sept. 14 show at The Bluebird was cancelled due to pressure placed on the venue through protests by the Hoosier Rights Campaign and OUT. Gay rights activist Morgan Tilleman of the Hoosier Rights Campaign reports that the manager of club in Bloomington said that he had not heard of the controversy about Banton until news reached him of the then-upcoming protest in Chicago.
'It's sad that we're out here again,' said local out musician Scott Free, who joined in the protest.
This article shared 4051 times since Wed Sep 20, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Andersonville Homecoming' Sept. 24-26; line-up, vendors, safety protocols announced 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2021) — The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce the full entertainment line-up and vendors for Andersonville Homecoming--a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring ...
|Students urged to apply for Musical Theatre Awards 2021-09-14|
- Broadway in Chicago is inviting high schools across Illinois to participate in the 11th Annual Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards. These awards celebrate excellence in high school theater throughout the state. Beginning Thursday, Sept. 16, ...
|CAIC announces 2021 Collaborative Works Festival, immigration, migration in song 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO— Collaborative Arts Institute of Chicago (CAIC) begins its eleventh anniversary season with its annual Collaborative Works Festival, held in venues around Chicago from October 6—9, 2021. The 2021 Collaborative ...
|MUSIC Lil Nas X wins top award at MTV VMAs 2021-09-13|
- The MTV VMA Awards took place Sept. 12and an LGBTQ+ artist took home one of the night's top awards. Lil Nas X won Video of the Year for "Montero (Call Me By Your Name)," besting Cardi ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Boy Meets Boy,' Jennifer Hudson, 'SVU,' tennis honor, ABBA 2021-09-12|
- Ariztical Entertainment is releasing the German movie Boy Meets Boy on DVD and VOD on Oct. 26. According to a press release, the plot of the 70-minute movie is as follows: "Harry has been partying for ...
|Pride Fest will extend to Oct. 3; headliners include Kristine W and Mya 2021-09-12|
- Mya, Shangela, VINCINT, Crystal Waters, Kristine W, Brooke Eden and St. Panther are among the headliners for Chicago Pride Fest now taking place over three days, Oct. 1-3, in Chicago's LGBTQ+ landmark Northalsted/Lake View district. The ...
|THEATER 'Dear Mom, I'm Gay!' on Oct. 1-2 2021-09-11|
- Dear Mom, I'm Gay!a workshop of a new musical by David Dilsizianis running at The Jarvis Square Theater, 1439 W. Jarvis Ave. It will take place at 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 1; and 2 and ...
|ARC Music Festival debuts in Chicago over Labor Day Weekend 2021-09-11|
- Replacing North Coast Music Festival's usual spot in Union Park, ARC Music Festival launched Sept. 4-5. North Coast was forced to move to SeatGeek Stadium in Bridgeview, Illinois, that same weekend to a stadium that was ...
|MUSIC 'Global Citizen Live' to run Sept. 25-26 2021-09-09|
- International advocacy organization Global Citizen announced the expansion of "Global Citizen Live" to include Los Angeles and London with an outdoor event in L.A., which is presented by Verizon, and headlined by Stevie Wonder with Adam ...
|'Close-Up with Carmen' Sept. 9 at Center on Halsted 2021-09-08|
- 'Close-Up with Carmen'about the intersection of drag and operawill take place Thursday, Sept. 9, at 6 p.m. at the Hoover-Leppen Theatre at Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St. During this event, participants will discuss cross-dressi ...
|Britney Spears' dad petitions to end conservatorship 2021-09-08|
- In a huge win for pop star Britney Spears, her father and the conservator of her estate, Jamie Spears, filed a petition to end the arrangement on Sept. 7, media outlets reported. Jamie cited his daughter's ...
|Footwork dancers to be featured Sept. 10 in Art on theMART event 2021-09-05|
- "Dance Down by The River"an evening of Chicago dance and musicis coming to the Riverwalk in conjunction with Art on theMART thanks to a Chicago Presents grant awarded by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and ...
|MUSIC Upcoming 'Carmen' featuring queer lead, male drag 2021-09-05|
- On Sept. 16 and 18 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance, 205 E. Randolph St., Chicago audiences will have the rare opportunity to hear two world-class dramatic mezzo-sopranos debut new roles opposite one another ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Idol' alums, Zendaya, Gaga, 'Queer As Folk,' women rappers 2021-09-05|
- American Idol alum David Archuleta said that God urged him to come out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, NBC News noted. The Nashville resident told Today.com he wasn't sure if the community would embrace ...
|Lil Nas X receives inaugural Trevor Project award 2021-09-05|
- The Trevor Project announced that "Old Town Road" rapper Lil Was X was the recipient of its inaugural Suicide Prevention Advocate of the Year Award. On its website, the organization stated, " Lil Nas X has ...