WINDY CITY TIMES
||Co-founder Patrisse Cullors resigning from Black Lives Matter
This article shared 561 times since Sat May 29, 2021
Black Lives Matter (BLM) co-founder and best-selling author Patrisse Cullors said she is stepping down as executive director of the movement's foundation following what she has called a smear campaign from a far-right group and recent criticism from other Black organizers, Politico reported.
Cullorswho has helped lead the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation for nearly six yearssaid she is leaving to focus on other projects, including the upcoming release of her second book and a multi-year TV development deal with Warner Bros.
Her last day of the queer leader with the foundation was May 28.
The BLM foundation revealed to the Associated Press in February that it took in just slight more than $90 million last year; the foundation said it ended 2020 with a balance of more than $60 million after spending nearly a quarter of its assets on operating expenses, grants to Black-led organizations and other charitable giving.
According to Deadline, Cullors has been under fire for a lavish lifestyle while leading the foundation, which includes multiple expensive real-estate purchases. "Those were right-wing attacks that tried to discredit my character, and I don't operate off of what the right thinks about me," Cullors said.
This article shared 561 times since Sat May 29, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Cost-free breast-health testing offered to hospitality workers
- The Illinois Restaurant Association announced a new partnership with A Silver Lining Foundation to provide uninsured hospitality employees with respectful and equal access to cost-free breast-health testing through a network ...
|WORLD Poland march, Google's donation, Ireland incidents, True Colors 2021-06-20|
- In Poland, thousands marched through central Warsaw on June 19 in an "Equality Parade" demanding an end to discrimination against the LGBT communityamid what campaigners said has been a rising tide of homophobia in the country ...
|HIV/AIDS AFC, Getting to Zero award $350K in grants
- AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) joined Getting to Zero Illinois (GTZ-IL) in announcing the grant recipients for the first-ever Getting to Zero Illinois Community Grant Program—a pool of grants totaling $350,000. ...
|Report: Major corporations celebrating Pride month also funding Fox' anti-LGBTQ+ programming 2021-06-18|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — According to a new report from Media Matters for America, a nonprofit media watchdog, major corporations that are publicly celebrating LGBTQ+ Pride Month are also simultaneously advertising on Fox News, funding the network's ...
|Morten Group celebrates 20th anniversary with "Forging Innovation in Racial Equity (FIRE) Grant" 2021-06-18|
--From a press release - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — Applications are now open for Morten Group, LLC's Forging Innovation in Racial Equity (FIRE) Grant and will close at 12midnight CST on March 15, 2021. Eligible 501(c)3 entities are based in the ...
|Queer Berwyn Collective holds march, rally 2021-06-11|
- On June 8, the Queer Berwyn Collective held a march and rally. According to a pre-event press release, the group discussed "why Ald. [Scott] Lennon's exclusionary flags that call June 'Gay' Pride Month are problematic," adding ...
|Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame seeks members for selection committee 2021-06-10|
- The Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame, celebrating its 30th anniversary, invited the LGBTQ+ community to nominate individuals, organizations, businesses, and allies for the 2021 Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame and the response was tremendous. The Chicago ...
|Wade to receive Field Foundation leadership grant 2021-06-10|
- Activist LaSaia Wade, who founded the LGBTQ-centered advocacy Brave Space Alliance (BSA), and is currently its executive director, has been named one of Chicago-based Field Foundation's 2021 Leaders for a New Chicago cohort. The distinction, f ...
|Pritzker Military Museum to hold panel on Department of Defense and transgender employees 2021-06-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, June 8, 2021 — The Pritzker Military Museum & Library is proud to present a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wednesday, June 23rd at Noon CDT ...
|New Broadway Youth Center being readied for 2021 opening 2021-06-10|
- Work continues on Howard Brown Health's (Howard Brown) new 20,000 square-foot Broadway Youth Center (BYC) facility at 1053 W. Irving Park Rd. BYC has spent years looking for a permanent home. After launching in Lake View, ...
|Howard Brown Health looks ahead to post-pandemic Chicago 2021-06-10|
- As more Chicagoans get vaccinated against the COVID-19 infection, officials at Howard Brown Health (Howard Brown) are preparing their responses to a health landscape that will likely be much different from what it was before the ...
|Pritzker Military Museum hosting June 23 Pride panel 2021-06-09|
- Chicago's Pritzker Military Museum & Library is presenting a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wed., June 23, at noon CT in celebration of Pride Month. The virtual ...
|Howard Brown Health announces first Fellowship Class of Future Public Leaders Program 2021-06-09|
--From a Howard Brown Health press release - (Chicago, Ill., June 7, 2021) - Howard Brown Health is honored to announce the first six fellows to receive paid internships as part of the Gregory Shapen Public Health Fellowship Endowment Fund. The program was established ...
|Lambda Literary Award winners announced 2021-06-09|
- On June 1, Lambda Literary announced the winners of its 33rd Annual Lambda Literary Awards. The winners were selected by a panel of more than 60 literary professionals from more than 1,000 book submissions from more ...
|Illinois Holocaust Museum Panel Discussion: Pride in the time of COVID-19 2021-06-07|
--From a press release - The global pandemic has been a roadblock to traditions and celebrations for consecutive years. Since the 1970s, the last Sunday in June was an opportunity for thousands of LGBTQ+ individuals to celebrate their individuality, to be ...