|Classic Kink, Parts I and II at Smart Museum of Art in May
From a press release
This article shared 1024 times since Thu Apr 6, 2017
The University of Chicago's Smart Museum of Art, Office of LGBTQ Student Life, and the Leather Archives & Museum are partnering for Classic Kink, a two-part program that explores classicism in relation to the history of LGBTQ communities.
The events are free, but space is limited. We ask that guests register in advance: www.eventbrite.com/e/classic-kink-part-i-tickets-31145409759 .
Classic Kink ( Part I )
Thursday, May 4, 68 pm
Smart Museum of Art
5550 S. Greenwood Avenue
Part I features a tour of the Smart Museum's special exhibition Classicisms, including a set of nineteenth-century photographs of suggestively posed young men amid Roman ruins. Led by Benjamin Morgan, Assistant Professor, Department of English Language and Literature, the conversation will focus on the public and private dissemination of LGBTQ culture through the clandestine trading of images in the Victorian era, as well as the validation that can come from the deployment classical aesthetics. This discussion will be followed by a figure drawing session where participants will create works in response to the exhibition and discussion.
Classic Kink ( Part II )
Thursday, May 11, 68 pm
Leather Archives & Museum
6418 N. Greenview Avenue
Part II features a discussion of the history and future of Chicago's active LGBTQ community and a tour of classically-themed 1960s and 70s physique photography and murals by Chuck Renslow and Etienne at the at the Leather Archives & Museum, which preserves the history and culture of fetish, kink, and leather communities in Chicago. Following the tour, the UChicago student organization RACK ( Risk-Aware Consensual Kink ) will give a demonstration about the aesthetics and safe practice of contemporary kink.
Presented by the Smart Museum of Art, the Office of LGBTQ Student Life at the University of Chicago, and the Leather Archives & Museum. Support for this program has been provided by UChicago Arts Grants.
This article shared 1024 times since Thu Apr 6, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Mr. Chicago Leather 2024 at Touche, Vince Jay takes title 2024-02-02
- A diverse group of people from around the world gathered at Touché Chicago for the Mr. Chicago Leather 2024 Contest the evening of Jan. 27. Ammar Houssamo hosted the event, at which Mr. Chicago Leather 2022-23 ...
|Mr. Chicago Leather contest returns to Touche following 2022 controversy 2024-02-01
- The Mr. Chicago Leather contest returned this past weekend, January 26-28, to Touché Chicago, over a year after numerous community members were incensed by a racist incident. But the bartender who quit Touché following the incident ...
|Leather Archives & Museum announces 2024 Fetish Film Forum 2024-01-27
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Illinois—After a wildly successful inaugural year, including a 10-film series at the Leather Archives & Museum and a 5-film series at FACETS, the Leather Archives & Museum is thrilled to announce the continuation of Fetish ...
|Lark Lux wins Midwest Fetish Title 2023-10-16
- Midwest Fetish and Leather Collective Contest Weekend kicked off Oct. 13 with a meet-and-greet held at Cellblock Chicago. The next day, three contestants vied for the Midwest Fetish Title, with the main contest held at the ...
|Winners named for Fetish Weekend contest 2023-07-25
- The inaugural Chicago Fetish Weekend awarded its two titles on the evening on July 22. Lil Daddy Bear won the title of Chicago Leather Ambassador, while Riley won the title of Midwest Rubber. ...
|Chicago Fetish Weekend gets into gear 2023-07-22
- Chicago Fetish Weekend kicked off July 21 with the welcome party, which was held at The Baton. Emcee Pup Figaro introduced the judges, tally masters and the nine contestants vying for the two titles of Midwest ...
|Passages: Benjamin Feathers passes away 2023-07-06
- Benjamin Feathers, "Pup Fenrir", 41, of Chicago's Uptown neighborhood, died in an apartment fire on July 1. Ben lived a very lively life. He was a lifestyle member of Chicago's Leather community. Like so many others, ...
|As Pride Month begins, 2Bears Tavern Group issues statement on allyship and safe spaces 2023-06-01
--From a press release - [Chicago, IL — June 1, 2023] As we begin Pride Month, many in the LGBTQIA+ community, and in particular of late, transgender and non-binary people, drag performers, and parts of the leather, fetish, kink, and BDSM ...
|Barela wins International Mr. Leather title 2023-05-30
- IML45 came to an exciting close at the Auditorium Theater on Sunday Night as the title was awarded to Marcus Barela of Los Angeles, California. Chris Glc of Atlanta, Georgia was awarded first runner up, and ...
|IML visitors are off to (the leather) market 2023-05-28
- International Mr. Leather visitors shopped and took part in demonstrations at the event's famous (infamous?) Leather Market at the Congress Hotel over Memorial Day weekend. Several dozen vendors took part in the event; a portion of ...
|IML 2023 begins 2023-05-26
- Visitors from around the world gathered in the Florentine Room of the Congress Hotel on May 25 to kick off the opening ceremonies of the 2023 installment International Male Leather. The event was emceed by Thib ...
|Bears, cubs and their admirers return for Illinois Bear Contest 2023-04-11
- Visitors and Chicagoans gathered at Charlies Chicago, 3726 N. Broadway, on April 7 to kick off the Illinois Bear Contest weekend, the first since 2019. The contest itself took place the following evening at Leather Archives ...
|Puppy & Handler Contest returns 2023-02-21
Joseph Stephens - The Midwest Puppy & Handler Contest took place the weekend of Feb. 17-18 for the first time since 2019. The contest's meet-and-greet was held at Cellblock Feb. 17. The contest itself was hosted by the Leather ...
|Chicagoans gather for Jackhammer re-opening 2023-01-30
Photos by Joseph Stevens - Rogers Park leather and fetish bar Jackhammer held its grand re-opening the evening of Jan. 27 after a long renovation process. The longtime North Side watering hole opened in 1999, taking over the space previously occupied ...
|ONYX Midwest forum tackles racist performance at Touche's anniversary party 2023-01-22
- In a response to the racist performance that took place at the leather, fetish and bear-focused Touche Chicago's 45th anniversary celebration on Nov. 1, 2022, ONYX Midwest hosted a community forum Jan. 21 at The Leather ...
|NATIONAL Chuck Schumer, anti-marriage bill, drag event back on, military doctor
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted
|SHOWBIZ Kristen Stewart, Rock Hudson, Talia Keys, 'True Detective,' Marvel comic
|911 calls, videos show cascade of failures in Nex Benedict's death, GLAAD responds
|Howard Brown Health Names Robin Gay, DMD as Interim President and CEO