WINDY CITY TIMES
||Civil unions the talk at the Fed Bank
Civil unions the talk at the Fed Bank
by Natasha Hemley
This article shared 1991 times since Wed Apr 13, 2011
The Federal Reserve Bank was the place to be April 5, as members of the LGBT community gathered at the venue's conference room to hear about the recently passed civil-unions act and ask questions.
Chris Malonepresident of the bank's employee-support group, 7FLAG, 7th District Friends of Lesbians and Gaysopened the informal meeting, and introduced the two guest speakers: Bernard Cherkasov and Jill Metz. Cherkasov, the CEO of Equality Illinois, talked with listeners about the grueling fight to get the act passed.
The act, which takes effect June 1, was first presented to state legislators in 2007. Cherkasov explained that asking for a civil-unions act instead of a marriage law would be the better route because of the sense of "urgency" for those in the LGBT community to get the legal rights.
Metzan attorney with her own firm, Jill M. Metz and Associates, who is also president of the board of directors for the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinoisexplained the legal benefits the civil-unions act will provide and took questions from listeners. She said that the act affords same-sex unions the same rights and protections that married couples receive, including medical decision making, and the fact that income earned by either person in the relationship belongs to both members of the union. In addition, children born to parents in a same-sex union will be the children of both parents. This is important because couples had to file for second-parent adoption.
Metz cautioned listeners that even though the civil-unions act seems like a "dream come true," couples should still file for second-parent adoption and a civil-union certificate. The act is only recognized on a state level ( not federal ) ; therefore, couples cannot get social security for one another or file a joint federal tax return. If one member of the union is in the military, the civil-union certificate as grounds for discharge. Also, said certificates can complicate the adoption process.
Couples interesting in obtaining a civil-union certificate and license can go down to their local county clerk's office June 1 and obtain both documents. A license only last 60 days; during that time a couple needs to stand in front of a retired or working judge and have their marriage recognized.
7FLAG, Harris Bank's Lions Pride employee support network group, Price Waterhouse Coopers and the United Way sponsored the event.
This article shared 1991 times since Wed Apr 13, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Zelensky, French position, UK drag-queen shows, triathlons 2022-08-07|
- Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky confirmed he will ask Ukraine's government to look into legalizing same-sex marriage after the war with Russia ends, PinkNews reported. Ukraine's constitution defines marriage as between a man and a woman. Last ...
|Senate vote on marriage bill pushed back to September 2022-08-01|
- Hope for a quick vote on the Respect for Marriage Act in the U.S. Senate this week has faded, but U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin said over the weekend that she has 10 Republican senators willing to ...
|WORLD Cuban referendum, Gay Games, Berlin attacks, Indian trans men 2022-07-31|
- Cuba's parliament announced that the country will hold a referendum on the legalization of same-sex marriage and surrogate parenthood, Deutsche Welle reported. The referendum on the new family law is scheduled to be held Sunday, Sept. ...
|Andorra passes civil marriage for same-sex couples 2022-07-22|
- On July 21, lawmakers in the tiny European country of Andorra voted unanimously to extend civil marriage rights to same-sex couples, The Los Angeles Blade reported. Andorra is a small country known for its ski areas ...
|U.S. House passes Respect for Marriage Act 2022-07-19|
- On July 19, almost 50 House Republicans joined Democrats to pass legislation that would repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and enshrine marriage equality into federal law, Axios reported. The legislation, approved 267-157, is part of ...
|Catholic hospital system denies fertility treatments for LGBTQ+ couples 2022-07-19|
- An Illinois-based Catholic hospital system that employs more than 24,000 people will only cover fertility treatments for workers in opposite-sex marriagesa policy some lawyers say could violate federal discrimination statutes ...
|Ted Cruz wants marriage equality revoked 2022-07-18|
- To the surprise of few, a leading Republican figure would like marriage equality overturned. On July 16, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, said the U.S. Supreme Court was "clearly wrong" and "overreaching" when it legalized same-sex ...
|WORLD Slovenia marriage item, Antigua and Barbuda, Berlin mosque 2022-07-10|
- In Slovenia, the Constitutional Court legalized same-sex marriage and adoptions after finding a law under which only heterosexual partners can marry and same-sex couples cannot adopt children to be in contravention of the constitutional ban on ...
|WORLD KyivPride, Romanian bill, marriage items, Cynthia Erivo 2022-07-03|
- Ukraine's largest LGBTQ+-rights event, KyivPride, went ahead as a peace marchin Warsaw, Poland, CNBC reported. It joined Warsaw's yearly Equality Parade, the largest such event in central Europe, using it as a platform to keep international ...
|VIEWS How same-sex couples can ensure parenting rights if Supreme Court reverses Obergefell 2022-06-30|
By Jeffery M. Leving - After the U.S. Supreme Court reversed Roe v. Wade last week, many are now wondering if the court would go after same-sex marriage next. Justice Samuel Alito, in his majority decision, wrote that nothing in its ...
|WORLD Japanese ruling, Pride events, Colombia election, Boris Johnson 2022-06-26|
- A Japanese court ruled that the country's ban on same-sex marriage does not violate the constitution, and rejected demands for compensation by three couples who said their right to free union and equality has been violated, ...
|Supreme Court justice says marriage-equality ruling should be reconsidered 2022-06-24|
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas argued in a concurring opinion regarding the revocation of the constitutional right to abortion that the U.S. Supreme Court "should reconsider" its past rulings codifying rights to contraception access, same-sex ...
|Clela Rorex, first County Clerk to issue same-sex marriage licences, has died 2022-06-20|
-- From a press release - BOULDER, CO - Out Boulder County and the family of Clela Rorex are saddened to announce the death of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer pioneering ally, Clela Rorex. On March 27,1975 Clela issued the first ...
|WORLD Pride disruption, trans journalists, Tunisian play, marriage bills 2022-06-19|
- Turkish police officers carrying clear-plastic riot shields, wielding batons and deploying pepper powder balls as well as tear gas violently broke up a Pride parade that Middle East Technical University students organized in the capital of ...
|NATIONAL Marriage poll, Family Equality event, podcast, NYC Pride 2022-06-12|
- GLAAD responded to a Gallup poll showing 71% of Americans support marriage equality—another record high for the poll conducted each year since the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing marriage for LGBTQ people nationwide. In a ...