|Citywide Pride: Talk focuses on diversity and inclusion
by Yasmin Nair
This article shared 3754 times since Fri Aug 1, 2008
There exists today a panoply of services and staff training resources to aid companies in ensuring that their workplaces achieve mandated diversity requirements. But do these help or hinder a corporation, and how does the notion of diversity relate to the bottom line of profits?
As part of the Citywide Pride series, which took place in June, CNA Insurance and High Potential Inc. hosted a lunch discussion, "Taking Diversity and Inclusion to the Next Level" where moderators Larry Kuhn and James Foster spoke about diversity issues in the workplace. Kuhn and Foster focused on a recent survey they conducted among corporations like Prudential and Ernst and Young and from which they extrapolated ways of incorporating diversity and inclusion.
In surveying corporations, Kuhn and Foster found that many respondents felt that diversity had become a human resources issue, expressed by comments that it was "largely driven by compliance." They addressed the need to consider inclusion in conjunction with diversity. According to them, this is necessary in order to ensure that corporations benefit from a culture of diversity, as opposed to one where employers feel that it's no more than a fulfilling a mandate. With regard to the issue of LGBT inclusion, they noted that most CEOs don't go beyond the use of inclusive language. Or, as one respondent put it, "I just want the CEO to say the words gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender. But Human Resources asked, "Isn't GLBT enough?"
Three speakers spoke about how they had reframed diversity by making it integral to their workplaces. Robbin Burr ( formerly of the Center on Halsted, and now a diversity relationship manager at Prudential ) , spoke about increasing diversity through programs which ask employees to create financial literacy by going into neighborhoods. LaShana Jackson, a senior manager of diversity inclusion at AON corporation spoke about using the word "talent" rather than "diversity," as a way to combat what she called the "diversity fatigue" that has set in on corporations. According to Jackson, a key strategy is to retain a diverse pool of candidates by mentoring them and helping them develop their career skills.
With regard to the bottom line of profits, Kuhn and Foster said that that diversity could be profitable as well, with a recent study indicating that women and minorities brought in 300 million dollars in 2001. But, according to them, this kind of recognition of the importance of diversity and inclusion can only come about with support from company leaders and a "fully engaged" employee base.
This article shared 3754 times since Fri Aug 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Center on Halsted to host trans youth & family summit 2024-02-19
- Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St., has announced that its Trans Youth & Family Summit 2024 will take place March 16. This year marks the sixth annual event, which partners between Youth Services' Pride Youth ...
|Lakeside Pride Wilde Cabaret Valentine's Day Feb. 17 2024-02-16
--From a press release - Lakeside Pride Wilde Cabaret puts their own spin on Valentine's Day with a show celebrating things done and sacrificed for love - not just romantic love, but love for pets, friends, family and art. Join the ...
|GLAAD, NFL host third annual pre-Super Bowl event 'A Night of Pride' 2024-02-08
- On Feb. 7, LGBTQ+ media-advocacy organization GLAAD, along with The National Football League (NFL), hosted the third annual "A Night of Pride" at Caesar's Palace in Super Bowl LVIII's host city of Las Vegas, a press ...
|Chicago Fire FC announces 2024 theme nights; Pride Night will be June 1 2024-01-19
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Jan. 18, 2024) — Chicago Fire FC announced the club's theme nights for select home matches during the 2024 regular season, driven by Carvana. The Club's 2024 calendar features 11 theme nights, including the return ...
|WORLD Austria proposal, conferences, Pride marches, tennis player, Gay Games 2023-11-03
- In Austria, a historic proposal by the country's Ministry of Justice sees 33 million euros (approximately $35 million U.S.) set aside to compensate those who were persecuted or convicted of consensual same-sex actsalthough critics say th ...
|NHL reverses decision to ban Pride Tape, allowing players to show support for LGBTQ+s 2023-10-24
--From a press release - (New York, NY - October 24, 2023) Today the National Hockey League (NHL) reversed its decision to ban Pride Tape and other displays of support for LGBTQ people on the ice, stating: "After consultation with the ...
|THEATER Company of 'Wolves': Redtwist's Dusty Brown on gay Riding Hood retelling, Grindr, gender identity 2023-10-16
- It's all about Pride in 2023-24 at Redtwist Theatre. The 19th season for this North Side black-box theater includes three very different productions, starting with Wolves, called a "gory, gay reimagining of 'Little Red Riding Hood.'" ...
|NHL bans Pride Tape from hockey games and practices 2023-10-11
- The National Hockey League (NHL) has designated that athletes will no longer be able to show support to the LGBTQ+ community while playing, according to Out, which cited Outsports. The league has issued a ban of ...
|GAY HISTORY MONTH George Harris reflects on his late husband and Dallas activism 2023-10-10
- Special to Windy City Times. To mark Gay History Month, this article appears courtesy of Dallas Voice and the LGBT History Project. When George Harris and Jack Evans became the first couple to legally marry in ...
|Illinois colleges make list of most unsafe places for LGBTQ+ youth 2023-10-05
- Campus Pride has released its list of the worst places for LGBTQ+ youthand several Illinois colleges and universities are on it. According to a press release, "the Worst List identifies the 'absolute worst, most unsafe campuses ...
|GAY HISTORY MONTH Putting an end to the myths of Stonewall 2023-10-02
- Special to Windy City Times. In recognition of Gay History Month, this article appears courtesy of the LGBT History Project and Philadelphia Gay News. For years, people have debated what actually happened that night in June ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Sex Education' star, Rotten Tomatoes, Jessica Lange, Queer/Art 2023-09-08
Video below - Sex Education star Ncuti Gatwa officially came out during an interview with Elle UK, according to Out. "I remember being at Manchester Pride, going through the streets with all my boys, shaking my cha-chas, living it ...
|Brave Space Alliance holds Post Pride Mixer 2023-08-30
- On Aug. 27, Brave Space Alliance held its Post Pride Mixer at popular lesbian-owned bar Nobody's Darling. The social gathering celebrated past accomplishments while looking forward to new horizons for both the service organization and the ...
|UIC among nation's top 30 campuses for LGBTQ+ students 2023-08-25
--From a press release - The University of Illinois Chicago has been named one of the top 30 colleges and universities for LGBTQ+ students, according to Campus Pride, a national organization serving LGBTQ+ and ally student leaders and campus organizations in ...
|Orlando Pride crushes Chicago Red Stars 2023-08-21
- In Florida's Exploria Stadium on Aug. 20, the Orlando Pride thrashed the Chicago Red Stars 5-0 in professional women's soccer action, according to WFTV. Four players scored for Orlando, led ...