WINDY CITY TIMES
||City of Chicago Veterans Day tribute includes gay speaker
News update posted Nov. 12, 2011
by Tracy Baim, Windy City Times
This article shared 123 times since Wed Nov 16, 2011
The annual City of Chicago Veterans Day tribute, held at Soldier Field, included an openly gay speaker for the first time, now that the military's Don't Ask, Don't Tell gay ban is history.
Held 11-11-11, the event featured many politicians and military brass, and hundreds of audience members. Speakers included event host Mayor Rahm Emanuel, U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin and Gov. Pat Quinn. Representing gays in the military was U. S. Air Force MSgt. ( Retired ) Jean Albright, director of new media at Windy City Times. She served 20 years in the Air Force and is a former board members of Servicemembers Legal Defense Network. She emphasized that gays and lesbians have always served in the military, but that now they can do so openly and proudly. Durbin also mentioned DADT, and how glad he was for the ban to be lifted.
The keynote speaker was Iraq war veteran U.S. Army Specialist ( Retired ) Danielle Green-Byrd, who gave an emotional and spirited speech about the loss of an arm in an explosion during the war, the heroic actions of her team members and the commitment she has to helping soldiers as they come home from the wars.
Alderman James A Balcer was the event emcee. Military and patriotic music was performed by the 85th Army Band and the United States Naval Academy Gospel Choir.
Photos for Windy City Times by Tracy Baim
This article shared 123 times since Wed Nov 16, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Music awards, military film, Tom of Finland, Yo-Yo Ma, 'Harley Quinn' 2023-11-17|
Video below - Brothers Osborne—a duo that includes gay brother TJ Osborne—won Vocal Duo of the Year for the sixth time at the recent CMA Awards, per a media release. Backstage, TJ told reporters, "I did not expect us ...
|AVER celebrates LGBTQ+ veterans at annual Veterans Day dinner 2023-11-12|
- Writer and historian Owen Keehnen was keynote speaker at the the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) Chicago Chapter's 32nd annual LGBTQ Veterans Day Banquet held on Veterans Day at Ann Sather restaurant on Belmont. Keehnen ...
|South Korean court upholds military 'sodomy law' 2023-10-28|
- For the fourth time, South Korea's constitutional court has upheld two anti-LGBTQ+ lawsincluding the country's notorious military "sodomy law," The Guardian reported. By a vote of five to four, the court confirmed the constitutionality of ar ...
|WORLD Couple's win, attack in Beirut, German military, gay ski week 2023-09-08|
- In Strasbourg, France, the European Court of Human Rights ruled that Bulgaria violated the rights of a same-sex couple (Darina Koilova and Lili Babulkova) by not recognizing their marriage abroad, RFE/RL reported. Rights groups lauded the ...
|'We've had a ball': Prominent activists Jim Darby and Patrick Bova celebrate 60th anniversary 2023-09-07|
- One of the first couples to be legally married in Illinois is celebrating their 60th anniversary this year. Jim Darby and Patrick Bova fell in love decades before they became the lead plaintiffs in Lambda Legal's ...
|SHOWBIZ Military drama, Janelle Monae, Conan Gray, Dylan Mulvaney, Whoopi 2023-08-31|
- The LGBTQ+ military drama Eismayer (from Dark Star Pictures and Golden Girls Film) will be out in theaters on Oct. 6, and on DVD and Digital on Oct. 10, per a press release. The plot is ...
|FY2024 National Defense Authorization Act would undercut equality, Modern Military Assoc of America comments 2023-07-14|
--From a press release - Washington D.C. - Anti-equality House members are using the FY2024 National Defense Authorization Act to pass dangerous amendments targeting healthcare, gender-affirming care, education, and LGBTQ+ friendly services and resources. The ...
|WORLD Pride celebrations, puberty blockers, British military, killer sentenced 2023-06-16|
- Gay Pride Buenos Aires is slated to take place Oct. 27-Nov. 4, according to GayTravel4U.com. More than 30 organizations and groups host activities that will begin a week before the parade (which is on Nov. 4). ...
|VIEWPOINT War in the 21st Century: mercenaries, private military companies, private armies 2023-05-20|
- In 2022, $407 billion of the Pentagon budget—representing half of that year's funding —were obligated to private contractors, of which a significant number were Private Military Companies (PMCs) involved in ...
|Modern Military Association of America appoints interim Executive Director 2023-05-18|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, (May 17, 2023) — LGBTQ+ military nonprofit Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) announced today that nonprofit management expert Rachel Branaman, will step into the role of interim executive ...
|Bill would prohibit discrimination in the military, protect trans service members 2023-04-01|
--From a press release, American Veterans for Equal Rights - Washington, D.C. — Congresswoman Sara Jacobs (CA-51) introduced legislation today that would prohibit discrimination in the military and protect transgender service members. The Ensuring Military Readiness Not Discrimination Act, commonly ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis 2023-03-25|
- Venezuela's Supreme Court annulled a controversial part of the military justice code that had criminalized same-sex relations within the armed forces, the outlet Punch noted. The court annulled the provision, which had provided for a penalty ...
|NATIONAL Under secretary leaving, gay man killed, anti-trans moves, SF gay bar 2023-02-19|
- Under Secretary Gina Ortiz Jones—the Air Force's second-highest ranking civilian—is stepping down on March 6, after a year and a half in the position, according to military.com. Jones was appointed by President Joe Biden as the ...
|Rubio, Banks introduce bill that would ban some trans people from military 2023-02-17|
- Republicans are introducing measures in both houses of Congress that, if passed, would ban some transgender people from serving in the military, The Hill reported. The Ensuring Military Readiness Act, sponsored by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Florida), ...
|Lambda Legal challenges anti-HIV military policy 2022-11-13|
- Lambda Legal filed a legal challenge to the U.S. military policy that prevents people living with HIV from enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces, according to a press release. The current policy requires that applicants for ...