WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chiola and Sheehan Get High Marks from Bar Associations
This article shared 3464 times since Wed Oct 25, 2006
Openly gay and lesbian Cook County Circuit Court Judges Tom Chiola and Colleen Sheehan, who are seeking retention on the Nov. 7 ballot, have received been selected as 'recommended' or 'qualified' by several local bar associations.
The Chicago Bar Association, Women's Bar Association of Illinois, Illinois State Bar Association, Gay and Lesbian Bar Association of Chicago, Cook County Bar Association ( composed of African-African members ) , Asian American Bar Association, Black Women's Lawyers' Association, Decalogue Society of Lawyers ( composed of Jewish members ) , Hispanic Lawyers' Association of Illinois and Puerto Rican Bar Association of Illinois ranked Chiola and Sheehan either 'recommended' or 'qualified.' The Suburban Bar Coalition ( made up of the Northwest Suburban Bar Association, West Suburban Bar Association, South Suburban Bar Association and Southwest Suburban Bar Association ) as well as the Arab-American Bar Association of Illinois 'highly recommended' Chiola and 'recommended' Sheehan.
In addition, both Chiola and Sheehan have been endorsed by the IVI-IPO and Chiola has been endorsed by the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund.
This article shared 3464 times since Wed Oct 25, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Cook County gets $500K from MacArthur Foundation to increase racial equality in justice system 2022-01-24|
-- From a press release - [Chicago, Jan. 24, 2022] — Last week, Cook County was announced as the recipient of a $500,000 grant by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to build upon existing efforts to address racial and ...
|NATIONAL Trans deaths, N.J. official, political items, 'Queer Eye' 2022-01-23|
- The murders of two Black transgender women in the early days of the new year struck an ominous tone in the wake of two of the deadliest years on record for transgender Americans, Gay City News ...
|Chile president-elect names LGBTQ+ people to his Cabinet 2022-01-22|
- Chilean President-elect Gabriel Boricwho won a runoff election on Dec. 21, 2021named two openly LGBTQ+ people to his Cabinet on Jan. 21, the Los Angeles Blade reported. Marco Antonio Avila, a gay man, will be the ...
|Lambda Legal issues assessment of Biden-Harris administration's work for LGBTQ+, HIV communities 2022-01-22|
-- From a press release - Washington, D.C. Lambda Legal released a new comprehensive report that assesses the Biden-Harris administration's first year with respect to its impact on the LGBTQ+ community and everyone living with HIV. While the report identifies significan ...
|Planned Parenthood Illinois Action launches virtual Black Community Town Hall Series in February 2022-01-20|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO - Planned Parenthood Illinois Action (PPIA) proudly announces a new Black Community Town Hall series in honor of Black History Month. The series of virtual discussions will tackle topics such as community wellness and care, ...
|Failure to enact Freedom to Vote is a blow to vulnerable groups 2022-01-20|
-- From a press release - From Kierra Johnson, Executive Director of the National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund: "The failure to enact the Freedom to Vote, John R. Lewis Act is a profound blow to our Democracy. The inability to ensure ...
|'Jane's Army' to recruit, deploy pro-choice volunteers 2022-01-20|
-- From a press release - Chicago, IL — Personal PAC, Men4Choice, and Future Voices Council have launched Jane's Army — a joint campaign to recruit activist volunteers to educate, motivate, and activate pro-choice voters ahead of the critical 2022 election. This ...
|Sinema under fire from LGBTQ+ groups for voting-rights stance 2022-01-20|
- Some LGBTQ+-rights organizations have criticized U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Arizona)—a member of the community—after her stance on voting rights. Sinema and fellow Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, of West Virginia, have ...
|Human Rights Campaign Foundation releases new data on the LGBTQ+ wage gap 2022-01-19|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the educational arm of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released ...
|Human Rights Campaign celebrates advances in LGBTQ+ policies one year into Biden-Harris administration 2022-01-19|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — One day before the one year anniversary of the inauguration of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) celebrates the advances that have been made in LGBTQ+ ...
|LGBTQ+-rights activist Jim Obergefell announces political run 2022-01-18|
- Jim Obergefell—the LGBTQ+-rights activist and named plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that legalized same-sex marriage nationwide—announced Jan. 18 that he is launching a bid for the Ohio state House, CNN.com reported. "I took a history-ma ...
|Chief Judge Evans responds to Mayor Lightfoot's request on electronic monitoring 2022-01-18|
-- Press release from Office of the Chief Judge Cook County Circuit Court - Chief Judge Timothy C. Evans responded Jan. 19 to Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot's request for a moratorium on use of electronic monitoring for defendants accused of certain violent crimes by pointing out the national and state ...
|Two join races for state office, Personal PAC comments on threats to reproductive rights 2022-01-18|
-- From a Personal PAC press release - Chicago, IL — Today, following the news that anti-choice extremists Richard Irvin and Avery Bourne would run as Republicans for governor and Lieutenant Governor of Illinois, Personal PAC President and CEO Terry Cosgrove released the following ...
|COVID Mayor Lightfoot ends isolation 2022-01-18|
- Five days after testing positive for COVID-19, Mayor Lori Lightfoot said she is out of isolation, per CBS Chicago. "Thank you to everyone who has reached out to me and sent their well wishes. I am ...
|Aurora mayor joins crowded GOP field in race for governor 2022-01-18|
- Aurora Mayor Richard Irvin announced his candidacy for governor of Illinois on Jan. 17, joining a slew of Republicans hoping to challenge Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker in November, NBC Chicago reported. Irvin, a Black Republican and ...