WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago's LGBTQ+ Armenian community aims to 'Cher the Love for Artsakh'
by Vic Gerami
This article shared 766 times since Fri Apr 2, 2021
Entanika queer Armenian-American organization based in Chicago and operating online and whose name means "family" in Armenianis holding its first event, "Cher the Love for Artsakh." The event is a virtual drag show featuring 12 Armenian and allied artists from around the world in Cher-themed performances. The show focuses on Cher as one of the most well-known and iconic Armenians, using her music to fight violence and destruction with creativity and positivity.
"Over the last few years, we've been trying to draw together members of the Armenian queer community in Chicago," said Kristin Anahit Cass, co-founder of Entanik, "We felt that there was a need for a platform that would really reach out, amplify queer Armenian voices, promote the work of queer Armenian people."
"I had this idea about an art action to support Artsakh, and I took my idea to Scott Mazmanian, who's a big supporter of the Chicago drag sceneand he really made it come to life."
The event will raise funds for Eyes on Artsakh, an organization run by two queer Armenian diasporas that aims to provide aid to people affected by Azerbaijan's attacks on the tiny Armenian republic of Artsakh in the Artsakh War of 2020. Eyes on Artsakh was started during this war to provide immediate aid. But after a ceasefire agreement resulted in the ethnic cleansing of thousands in November, they have transitioned to providing long-term aid to wounded soldiers and their families.
"As members of the LGBT+ community, we know what it is like to face discrimination and oppression," said Mazmanian, also a co-founder of Entanik. "We want to use our platform to connect with everyone who supports our communities and help those most in need right now."
The event will be held Friday, April 9, at 7 p.m. CT. It will be streamed twice, at 7 and 8 p.m. on Twitch, and tickets are available at cherthelove.eventbrite.com . Entanik is sharing information about the event and performers via Instagram and Twitter @EntanikOfficial. More information is also available about Eyes on Artsakh, including its initiatives and transparency, on Instagram @EyesOnArtsakh.
Entanikthe Armenian word for "family"is a chosen family of queer Armenians and allies dedicated to coming together in inclusive unity. They are dedicated to uplifting and showcasing people in queer, Armenian, and allied communities through fundraising, events, social media, and other outreach programs. The organization was established in January of 2021 and is using social media and virtual platforms to build a global community.
This article shared 766 times since Fri Apr 2, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Brandi Carlile, 'Legendary,' children's book, film festival, Janet Mock 2021-04-18|
- Lesbian musician Brandi Carlile memoir, Broken Horses, debuted at number one on The New York Times Best Sellers list, a press release announced. In addition to the hardback book, a very special audiobook edition of the ...
|Belting for Life Sunday May 16, streaming through May 31 2021-04-16|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - Jeff Award-winning director and HIV+ activist Christopher Pazdernik presents the 6th annual Belting for Life (formerly known as Chris' Birthday Belt Fest), an annual benefit concert for Howard Brown Health, one of the nation's ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans singer, 'Pose,' Kate Winslet, Lil Nas X, Broadway 2021-04-11|
- Trans femme indie-punk artist Evan Greer (she/her) released a dystopian new music video for the song "Surveillance Capitalism," a press release noted. She is using it to launch StopSpotifySurveillance.org with Fight for the Future, where she ...
|Movie about art sensation born into slavery to premiere April 16
- Bill Traylor: Chasing Ghostsa film about a man who was born into slavery, and whose works became sensations in the art worldwill premiere Friday, April 16, in local virtual cinemas of Music Box Theatre and Facets. ...
|Story of Chicagoan and Broadway influencer Sister Rosetta Tharpe on to Broadway 2021-04-06|
--From a press release - NEW YORK (April 4, 2021) Prolific writer and Chicago native Cheryl L. West (FANNIE: The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer; Jar the Floor), will be joined on the creative team of SHOUT SISTER ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Special,' Bonnaroo, Broadway items, Rita Moreno, Bridgerton 2021-04-04|
- The second season of the Netflix comedy series Special will premiere May 20, a press release noted. The series revolves around Ryan O'Connell, a gay man with mild cerebral palsy, and is based on his memoir ...
|MOVIES 'The Sound of Identity,' about trans opera star, out June 1
- Winner of the 2020 Outshine Film Festival's prestigious Programmers Award of Excellence, The Sound of Identity is a feature documentary that Shout! Studios will present on digital and on demand June 1. Profiling international opera star ...
|Submissions from Black musical-theater writers sought for album
- Broadway Records and Black Theatre Coalition (BTC) announced today the call for submissions for Black Writers Amplified, a new album consisting entirely of new works by Black musical-theater writers to be released in 2021. Black Writers ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Batwoman,' Adam Lambert, 'Glee,' Janet Jackson, 'Genera+ion' 2021-03-28|
- The character of Kate Kane is coming back to the CW series Batwoman—but Ruby Rose won't be, according to out.com. British actress Wallis Day is joining the cast as Kane, the same character Rose played, after ...
|MUSIC North Coast planning for Labor Day event at new spot
- Organizers of the North Coast Music Festival announced that the event will tentatively take place Sept. 3-5 at a new venue: SeatGeek Stadium, in the Chicago suburb of Bridgeview. A press that Windy City Times received ...
|SHOWBIZ Tamron Hall, 'Killing Eve,' speedskater, DJ dies, 'Pariah' 2021-03-21|
- On the March 16 episode of Tamron Hall, Hall highlighted groundbreaking transgender trailblazers in Hollywood, a press release noted. Pose/American Horror Story actress and tech CEO Angelica Ross opened up about her difficult coming-out experience in ...
|Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre announces revised 2020-2021 season 2021-03-19|
--From a press release - Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre is a multicultural company that creates new dance and music to explore strong personal narratives. We build partnerships across Chicagoland to engage a diverse audience: sparking ...
|k.d. lang to release dance-remix album 'makeover' on May 28
- In celebration of Pride Month, Nonesuch Records is releasing k.d. lang's makeovera new collection of classic dance remixes of some of her best-loved songson May 28. The album brings these remixes, made between 1992 and 2000, ...
|Ravinia plans to present live music this summer
- Taking a step toward resuming pre-pandemic conditions, the Ravinia Festival announced that it plans to reopen in July for the 2021 summer season, presenting its signature mix of classical, popular, and chamber music programming. A press ...
|Women dominate 63rd Grammys
- At this year's Grammys (which took place March 14), it was the year of the woman. The winners in the top four categories were Taylor Swift (album of the year, for Folklore), Billie Eilish (record of ...