WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago's LGBTQ+ Armenian community aims to 'Cher the Love for Artsakh'
by Vic Gerami
This article shared 1158 times since Fri Apr 2, 2021
Entanika queer Armenian-American organization based in Chicago and operating online and whose name means "family" in Armenianis holding its first event, "Cher the Love for Artsakh." The event is a virtual drag show featuring 12 Armenian and allied artists from around the world in Cher-themed performances. The show focuses on Cher as one of the most well-known and iconic Armenians, using her music to fight violence and destruction with creativity and positivity.
"Over the last few years, we've been trying to draw together members of the Armenian queer community in Chicago," said Kristin Anahit Cass, co-founder of Entanik, "We felt that there was a need for a platform that would really reach out, amplify queer Armenian voices, promote the work of queer Armenian people."
"I had this idea about an art action to support Artsakh, and I took my idea to Scott Mazmanian, who's a big supporter of the Chicago drag sceneand he really made it come to life."
The event will raise funds for Eyes on Artsakh, an organization run by two queer Armenian diasporas that aims to provide aid to people affected by Azerbaijan's attacks on the tiny Armenian republic of Artsakh in the Artsakh War of 2020. Eyes on Artsakh was started during this war to provide immediate aid. But after a ceasefire agreement resulted in the ethnic cleansing of thousands in November, they have transitioned to providing long-term aid to wounded soldiers and their families.
"As members of the LGBT+ community, we know what it is like to face discrimination and oppression," said Mazmanian, also a co-founder of Entanik. "We want to use our platform to connect with everyone who supports our communities and help those most in need right now."
The event will be held Friday, April 9, at 7 p.m. CT. It will be streamed twice, at 7 and 8 p.m. on Twitch, and tickets are available at cherthelove.eventbrite.com . Entanik is sharing information about the event and performers via Instagram and Twitter @EntanikOfficial. More information is also available about Eyes on Artsakh, including its initiatives and transparency, on Instagram @EyesOnArtsakh.
Entanikthe Armenian word for "family"is a chosen family of queer Armenians and allies dedicated to coming together in inclusive unity. They are dedicated to uplifting and showcasing people in queer, Armenian, and allied communities through fundraising, events, social media, and other outreach programs. The organization was established in January of 2021 and is using social media and virtual platforms to build a global community.
This article shared 1158 times since Fri Apr 2, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Ravinia to unveil 'Bernstein's Answer' immersive theater experience 2021-07-23|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, ILOn Saturday, August 7, the Ravinia Festival and Jeffrey P. Haydon, its President and CEO, will officially unveil the Ravinia Music Box (RMB) and its immersive theater experience, titled Bernstein's Answer, and fully open ...
|MUSIC 'I'm Every Woman: Divas Through the Decades' on Aug. 2 2021-07-20|
- LGBTQ+ party organization Slo 'Mo: Slow Jams for Queer Fam is celebrating its 10th anniversary with "Slo 'Mo Presents: I'm Every Woman: Divas Through the Decades with Akenya & Friends" on Monday, Aug. 2, at Millennium ...
|SHOWBIZ Ben Whishaw, non-binary actor, Cardi B, Obama, 'Grease' prequel 2021-07-18|
- Out actor Ben Whishaw stars in the film Surge, which will debut Sept. 24 and On Demand, a press release announced. Whishaw portrays Joseph, who is trapped in a soulless job, living a life devoid of ...
|MOVIES 'In the Heights' available as soon as July 30 2021-07-14|
- The 2021 musical film In the Heights will arrive on 4K, Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 31. However, it will arrive for Premium Digital Ownership at home on July 30. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) ...
|American Blues to present 'The Great American (and French) Songbook' 2021-07-12|
- On Friday, July 16, American Blues Theater, under the continued leadership of Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside, will present The Great American (and French) Songbook, performed by Suzy Petri and guests as part of its music series ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Pray Away,' film contest, LGBTQ book, musicians, 'Star Trek' 2021-07-11|
- The new Netflix Original Documentary Pray Away, from executive producers Ryan Murphy and Jason Blum, will make its global launch on the platform Aug. 3, a press release noted. In the film, former leaders of the ...
|AIDS ballet movie coming to Chicago on July 16 2021-07-07|
- The movie Can You Bring It: Bill T. Jones and D-Man in the Waters will open Friday, July 16, in virtual cinemas in Chicago at Gene Siskel Film Center and Music Box Theatre. "Can You Bring It"co-directed by Rosalynde LeBlanc and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Hedwig,' Oscars, Demi Lovato, GLAAD, Stevie Nicks 2021-07-04|
- Following 2019's sold-out, three-night engagement at The Town Hall in New York City (and several postponements in 2020), Hedwig and the Angry Inch co-creators John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask are returning with a rock spectacle ...
|Move your body! "House City" music series starts Sunday 2021-07-03|
- "House City" (kicking off July 4) is a new, 10-part series of free events popping up throughout the summer in the neighborhoods that helped create the House music genre over 35 years ago. DJ Jes, El ...
|PrideArts 2021-22: "The Search for Identity Among Queer Communities" 2021-07-01|
- CHICAGO — An Australian musical, a comedy-drama from the writer whose play was adapted as the hit movie JUDY, an Uptown holiday celebration, a new Ruth Bader Ginsberg bio, and a fifth play to be announced, ...
|'Concert for Love and Acceptance' features LGBTQ artists, allies 2021-07-01|
- Country music artist and philanthropist Ty Herndon, in partnership with CMT, held his annual Concert For Love & Acceptance on June 30. Presented virtually as an exclusive live streaming event, performances included Herndon, Brothers Osborne, Kristin ...
|Judge denies Britney Spears' request regarding father 2021-07-01|
- Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Brenda Penny signed an order June 30 denying Britney Spears' request to have her father, Jamie Spears, removed from the financial aspects of her conservatorship, NPR reported. Spears' attorney, Samuel D. ...
|Bienen School of Music launches 'Black Composer Showcase' series 2021-06-28|
- The Bienen School of Music at Northwestern University has launched a new series of videos featuring performances of art songs and chamber music by Black composers. The three-part Black Composer Showcase series (consisting of "Chicago Connections," ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes on TV, trans jazz musician, book award, 'Red Table Talk' 2021-06-27|
- Wanda Sykes has been tapped for a recurring role in the upcoming fifth season of Robert and Michelle King's legal drama The Good Fight, on Paramount+, Deadline noted. She will play Allegra Duradoa brilliant, strategic attorney ...
|MOVIES 'Truman & Tennessee' opening July 2 at Music Box
- The film Truman & Tennessee: An Intimate Conversation will open Friday, July 2, in physical and virtual theater in Chicago at Music Box Theatre. Actors Zachary Quinto and Jim Parsons make voiceover contributions in the film ...