||Chicagoans protest Prop 8 decision
by Wes Lawson
This article shared 3732 times since Mon Jun 1, 2009
Some 30 years after the late San Francisco politician Harvey Milk led the LGBT community out of the Castro with the chant, "Out of the closet and into the streets," Chicago's gay community marched down Halsted utilizing the same chant.
After California's anti-same-sex marriage initiative Proposition 8 was upheld May 26, almost a thousand people, led by Join The Impact Chicago and Gay Liberation Network, gathered outside the Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted in the early evening hours. Giant rainbow flags were passed out and hundreds of people brought their own homemade signs.
Speakers included several prominent gay Chicago activists, including Andy Thayer, one of the co-founders of the Gay Liberation Network in Chicago. He, like most of the speakers, talked about what a terrible blow this was for the movement, and how odd it was that it occurred under a Democrat-led government.
"The Democrats gave us the anti-gay Defense of Marriage Act in 1996, and now it's their responsibility to clean up their mess," said Thayer, to thunderous applause.
Quite a diverse crowd turned up—one that reflected many races, ages and sexual orientations. After the speeches, the crowd took to the Lakeview streets, marching through Boystown—even though thunder, lightning and rain began to impose on the march.
Everyone seemed to have the same reasons for being there: They felt there was nowhere else where their presence was more needed.
"What else would I be doing today? Sitting at my house watching TV?" said Margaret Adams, who was there with her partner of almost five years, Susan Johnson. "We need to be here. We need to be out in the streets, demanding equality no just in marriage, but in every aspect of life. I'm tired of being treated as a second-class citizen."
"It's two steps forward, two steps back today," said John Pembleton, a resident of Streator, Ill., who drove almost four hours to come to the rally. "This is a sad day for Californians, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel for us in Illinois. As many of the signs today have said, '5 [ states ] down, 45 to go.'"
Also please see photo coverage at www.windycitymediagroup.com/gay/lesbian/news/ARTICLE.php?AID=21258
This article shared 3732 times since Mon Jun 1, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Commission: Jamaica should repeal same-sex ban
- The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), the top rights body of the Americas, said in a symbolic landmark ruling on Feb. 17 that Jamaica should repeal its colonial-era gay sex ban, Reuters reported. Two Jamaicans ...
|Leading groups submit amicus briefs against discrimination against LGBT surviving spouses 2021-02-08|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON D.C.—AARP, AARP Foundation, SAGE and the American Society on Aging (ASA) filed amicus briefs today in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit arguing that the ...
|WORLD Honduran Congress, deportation, Canadian support, athlete comes out 2021-01-24|
- On Jan. 21, members of the Honduran Congress voted to amend the constitution, making it much harder to reverse existing hard-line bans on abortion and same-sex marriage, as lawmakers double down on socially conservative priorities, Openly ...
|NATIONAL Marriage proposal, Creating Change, mural erased, 'Queer Santa' 2021-01-05|
- A COVID-19 vaccine appointment at a Canton, South Dakota, hospital turned into a marriage proposal for one healthcare couple, CNN.com noted. Robbie Vargas-Cortes, 31, a paramedic and EMS supervisor, was scheduled to get his vaccination on ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|Switzerland's parliament okays marriage equality,
residents to have final say 2020-12-18|
- On Dec. 18, the Swiss parliament approved a bill allowing same-sex couples to marry, finally bringing the nation in line with much of Europe on LGBTQ rights, TheLocal.ch reported. However, the Swiss residents themselves will have ...
- "You can't say that marriage is a union between one man and one woman. Until very recently, that's what the vast majority of Americans thought. Now it's considered bigotry."Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito. So much for ...
|WORLD Canada museum, gay NZ leader, marriage items, 'Drag Race' 2020-11-09|
- The embattled Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) said it's planning sweeping changes to rebuild the organization more than four months after staff came forward with shocking allegations of racism and LGBT censorship, CBC.ca reported. The ...
|Jennifer N. Pritzker, Erin E. Solaro wed 2020-11-02|
--From a press release - Jennifer N. Pritzker and Erin E. Solaro were married in a private ceremony in Chicago on Oct. 31, 2020. Ms. Pritzker is President & CEO of TAWANI Enterprises Inc., Lieutenant Colonel U.S. Army, Retired, and Founder ...
|WORLD Taiwan marriages, Nigeria court, protests, GQ Awards 2020-11-02|
- Two women became the first military officers to marry their same-sex civilian partners at a mass military wedding in Taiwanmarking another landmark for LGBTQ+ rights in Asia, CNN.com reported. The island's defense ministry called it an ...
|LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus co-chairs bring resolution affirming court's marriage ruling 2020-10-30|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. - Tomorrow the Congressional LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus Co-Chairs, Chris Pappas (NH-01), David Cicilline (RI-01), Angie Craig (MN-02), Sharice L. Davids (KS-03), Sean Patrick Maloney ...
|NATIONAL Marriage support, GLSEN, LGBTQ voting campaigns 2020-10-26|
- Seventy percent of Americans support same-sex marriage, according to the 11th annual American Values Surveythe highest percentage recorded by a major national poll, NBC News reported. The results found just 28 percent of respondents oppose the ...
|Pope calls for same-sex civil unions in documentary (UPDATED) 2020-10-21|
- In a departure from the position held by the Vatican's doctrinal office, Pope Francis called for the passage of civil union laws for same-sex couples in a documentary that aired in Rome, NBC News noted. "Homosexuals ...
|WORLD India couple, Japan items, pro-trans writers, Nigeria job fair 2020-10-12|
- In India, a same-sex couple approached the Delhi High Court seeking legal recognition of their marriage under the Foreign Marriage Act, India.com reported. The petitioners, an Indian citizen and an overseas citizen, are two gay men ...
|NATIONAL Marriage equality, minister and trans journalist die, HRC 2020-10-12|
- LGBTQ-rights advocates are warning of a renewed threat to marriage equality, NBC News reported. President Donald Trump's nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court to succeed Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ignited fears of ...