WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicagoans among POZ 100 youth
From a press release
This article shared 3005 times since Tue Nov 18, 2014
NEW YORK CITY, November 17, 2014 POZ magazine, an award-winning print and online brand for people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS, has announced the fifth annual POZ 100, also marking its 200th issue and 20th year in publication. This year, POZ asked individuals and organizations to nominate people under the age of 30 in their communities who are making a difference in the fight against HIV/AIDS.
Jacques Agbobly, a 16-year-old Chicago AIDS activist, Juan Calderon of Vida/SIDA, and Cassie Warren of the Broadway Youth Center at the Howard Brown Health Center have been named as one of the POZ 100.
This year's list honors a diverse group of 100 individuals from across the United States and around the world. The list includes both people living with the virus, such as youth activist Paige Rawl, as well as HIV-negative people, such as Miss America 2010 Caressa Cameron-Jackson and Ryan Lewis, half of the Grammy Award-winning hip-hop duo Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. From the famous to the unsung heroes, all of the honorees are doing their part in the fight against HIV/AIDS.
"For more than three decades, HIV/AIDS has been fought mostly by those who were already adults when the epidemic began," said Oriol Gutierrez, POZ editor-in-chief. "In that time, a new generation has entered adulthood having only heard stories of the early days and never knowing a world without HIV. This new generation of advocates is fighting HIV for a variety of reasons and are united by the common goal of finally putting an end to AIDS," he continued.
"We are thrilled to honor the work of all the advocates celebrating youth power on the 2014 POZ 100, from the United States and around the globe, and the hope they are giving all of us as we begin to see the possibility of a world without AIDS," he concluded.
Go to poz.com/100 to see this year's full list.
This article shared 3005 times since Tue Nov 18, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Proceeds from 30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to help 26 HIV/AIDS organizations 2021-09-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — On Saturday, Oct. 2, at 9:30 a.m., more than 1,700 advocates and supporters will gather safely at Soldier Field to participate in the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) to support individuals ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|HHS awards $48M to health centers to expand HIV prevention, treatment 2021-09-16|
- On Sept. 16, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded more than $48 million to 271 HRSA-supported health centers across 26 states, Puerto Rico and ...
|New safety precautions announced for 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago Oct. 2 2021-09-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has announced proof of full vaccination or negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours of event will be required for all in-person participants for the 30th annual AIDS Run & ...
|HIV AT 40: Global activist Phill Wilson talks Chicago, the '80s and vaccines 2021-09-01|
- Phill Wilson is one of the best-known HIV/AIDS activists/educators around the globe. The Chicago native was the co-founder of the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum and the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention. He ...
|Feds expand insurers' requirements for PrEP coverage 2021-08-26|
- Insurers and service-providers have until September to comply with a new federal guidance requiring insurance companies to cover the entire cost of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) interventions. Many insurers have been ...
|NATIONAL Ann Arbor ban, Buttigieg, NYC settlement, Gloria Allred 2021-08-22|
- Using gay conversion therapy on minors to try to change their sexual orientation or gender identity is now officially banned in Ann Arbor, Michigan, according to MLive.com. "So-called conversion therapy is, of course, an abomination," Mayor ...
|Chicago Academy's 25th annual AIDS benefit show Sept. 24-25 2021-08-12|
- Each year, Chicago Academy for the Arts students produce and perform in a variety show to support HIV/AIDS research and organizations. The 25th Annual AIDS Benefit will take place Sept. 24-25 at The Academy, 1010 W. ...
|U.S. Conference on HIV/AIDS moves to virtual 2021-08-10|
--From a press release - Aug. 10, 2021 - NMAC today announced that the 2021 US Conference on HIV/AIDS will move from an in-person conference to a virtual meeting due to the continued spread of the Delta variant of the Covid ...
|DaBaby apologizes for 'misinformed' comments about AIDS, LGBTQ people 2021-08-03|
- After his headlining sets at Lollapalooza, Governors Ball and Day N Vegas festivals were canceled within 24 hours of each other, rapper DaBaby issued another apology to the LGBTQ community, Variety reported. "Social Media moves so ...
|PrEP pills to be free for insured people 2021-07-25|
- The U.S. government has stated that nearly all health insurers must cover the entire cost of HIV prevention treatments, according to U.S. News & World Report. That includes the two approved pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) drugs Truvada ...
|Summit looking for BIPOC LGBTQ+ attendees 2021-07-22|
- Pride Action Tank (PAT) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) will co-host "Co-Creating Futures: A BIPOC LGBTQ+ Policy & Practices Summit," starting virtually on Saturday, July 31, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. CT. According to the event's webpage, "T ...
|30th Annual 2021 AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to benefit 25 groups, AIDS Foundation Chicago 2021-07-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Now in its 30th year, AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns to Soldier Field on Saturday, October 2 to support individuals living with and vulnerable to HIV/AIDS and other chronic illnesses. AIDS Run & ...
|NATIONAL Spa incident, N.J. items, AIDS gala, Tenn. lawsuits 2021-07-11|
- Tensions rose between protesters and counterprotesters in Los Angeles over a spa incident involving a transgender woman, The Hill reported. Recently, a cisgender woman complained to staff at Wi Spa in Koreatown after a transgender woman ...
|ALMA, AFC host Latino/a/x-focused COVID-19 grand rounds virtual presentation 2021-07-08|
- Association of Latino/as/x Motivating Action (ALMA) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) hosted a "COVID-19 Grand RoundsSystemic Racism and Health Disparities: The Impact of COVID-19 on Latino/a/x populations" virtual presentation July ...