WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago researcher among recipients of transgender-health grant
by Matt Simonette
This article shared 5689 times since Sun Aug 16, 2015
The National Institutes of Health ( NIH ) announced, on Aug. 14, that it has awarded $5.7 million for a five-year study that will evaluate the long-term outcomes of medical treatment for transgender youth. Among the co-investigators in the study is Dr. Robert Garofalo, division chief of Adolescent Medicine at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago and professor of Pediatrics at Northwestern University School of Medicine.
"This is one of the proudest moment of my academic career, and probably my medical career as well," said Garofalo. "This is the first study of its kind, and it really only comes after two years of very hard, diligent and collaborative work to get this award."
According to a statement, the goal of researchers is to uncover evidence-based information on the physiological and psychosocial impact, as well as safety, of hormone blockers and cross-sex hormone use amongst transgender youth. Garofalo's co-investigators include Johanna Olson of Children's Hospital of Los Angeles and the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California; Stephen Rosenthal of UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital in San Francisco; and Norman Spack of Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard Medical School. The study will take place at four academic medical centers with dedicated transgender youth clinics.
Garofalo, who gave additional credit to the Tawani Foundation for its financial support on transgender health issues, added that the study came at the "perfect time" and can potentially expand the scope of transgender health issues.
"There's been an explosion of awareness in transgender health, both in the medical field and in the media, as well as in academic circles," he said. "For too long, transgender health issues have been seen singularly through the prism of HIV."
The study begins enrollment in fall 2015 and will include 280 transgender youth. Participants will be individuals seeking medical intervention to align their physical bodies with their gender identity and alleviate gender dysphoria and its associated negative effects, including anxiety, depression and substance abuse.
This article shared 5689 times since Sun Aug 16, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Attorneys general file pro-transgender brief 2021-10-15|
- A coalition of 20 attorneys general, including Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and New York counterpart Letitia James, filed an amicus brief in the case of Soule v. Connecticut Association of Schools, opposing the plaintiffs' efforts ...
|Chicago Plumbing Code allows all-gender multiple occupancy restrooms 2021-10-15|
--From a Community Restroom Access Project (CRAP) press release - CHICAGO — The Community Restroom Access Project (CRAP) applauds passage Thursday by the Chicago City Council of the plumbing code modernization ordinance that will allow businesses and building owners to ...
|Dozens of celebrities, companies set to take part in Spirit Day on Oct. 21 2021-10-15|
--From a press release - New York, NY, Thursday, October 14, 2021 - Today, GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, announced a preliminary list of celebrities, shows ...
|Brave Space Alliance's 'Out 'N Brave' panel on beauty, coming out 2021-10-14|
By Cris Villalonga-Vivoni - Coming out is one of the most terrifying yet liberating experiences that an LGBTQ+ person must endure to achieve happiness. Brave Space Alliance (BSA)—Chicago's South Side, Black-led, trans-led LGBTQ+ resource ...
|LGBTQ History Month: Pauli Murray, architect of history 2021-10-13|
By Victoria A. Brownworth - (Note: The pronouns she/her are used in keeping with Murray's own writings, but Murray was a transmasculine and gender-nonconforming lesbian.) Some say Pauli Murray is the most important U.S. activist many have never heard of. An ...
|Trans employees plan walkout at Netflix [UPDATE] 2021-10-13|
- Netflix's trans employee resource group is planning a company-wide walkout Wed., Oct. 20, to protest statements made by co-CEO Ted Sarandos regarding Dave Chappelle's latest comedy special The Closer, according to The Verge. "Trans Lives Matter. ...
|Netflix suspends trans employee who tweeted about Chapelle special 2021-10-12|
- Netflix suspended a transgender employee who criticized the new Dave Chappelle stand-up special The Closer, writing on Twitter that Chappelle's jokes were harmful to transgender people and the LGBTQ community, NBC News noted. The company denied ...
|Achy Obejas' bilingual poetry book Boomerang/Bumeran explores immigration, liberation 2021-10-11|
By Max Lubbers - Achy Obejas is a Cuban-American writer, translator and activist. Boomerang/Bumerán, her newest book, confronts questions of immigration, love and liberation. Like a boomerang, these ideas return throughout the collection, even ...
|Texans protest anti-trans youth measures at capitol in Austin 2021-10-03|
- GLAAD and Equality Texas issued a release highlighting a week of protest at the Texas state capitol in Austinwhere measures targeting transgender children are being considered during the legislature's third special session of the year. Three ...
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|SHOWBIZ Transgender Talent, celebrity deaths, film festival, Whitney Houston 2021-09-26|
- Transgender Talent—the trans-owned and operated management and production company—is looking to help Hollywood get better at portraying transgender and non-binary characters on screen with the launch of a new consulting ...
|THEATER Ex-'Jagged Little Pill' performers accuse production of anti-TGNC behavior 2021-09-24|
- Two former cast members of Broadway's Jagged Little Pillincluding Tony-nominated featured actress Celia Rose Goodingreleased statements accusing the production of committing "harm to the trans and non-binary community, both onstage ...
|Trans woman D'isaya Dior Monaee Smith, a victim of violence, dies 2021-09-24|
- D'isaya Dior Monaee Smith was shot and killed Sept. 6 at the Prestige Motel in Dolton, Illinois. She was 27. A Human Rights Campaign report showed that, in 2020, a record 44 transgender, nonbinary or gender-nonconforming ...
|Brittany Devon meets a 'Platonic Girlfriend' 2021-09-15|
- Queer, genderfluid actor Brittany Devon has created a brand new project to explore with Platonic Girlfriend. It is the story of a relationship between straight woman Alice and a queer, nonbinary person named Dev. Devon stars ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs transformative energy legislation for Illinois 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Delivering on principles previously laid out, Governor JB Pritzker signed landmark legislation into law that puts the state on a path toward 100% clean energy, invests in training a diverse workforce for the jobs ...