WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago researcher among recipients of transgender-health grant
by Matt Simonette
This article shared 5552 times since Sun Aug 16, 2015
The National Institutes of Health ( NIH ) announced, on Aug. 14, that it has awarded $5.7 million for a five-year study that will evaluate the long-term outcomes of medical treatment for transgender youth. Among the co-investigators in the study is Dr. Robert Garofalo, division chief of Adolescent Medicine at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago and professor of Pediatrics at Northwestern University School of Medicine.
"This is one of the proudest moment of my academic career, and probably my medical career as well," said Garofalo. "This is the first study of its kind, and it really only comes after two years of very hard, diligent and collaborative work to get this award."
According to a statement, the goal of researchers is to uncover evidence-based information on the physiological and psychosocial impact, as well as safety, of hormone blockers and cross-sex hormone use amongst transgender youth. Garofalo's co-investigators include Johanna Olson of Children's Hospital of Los Angeles and the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California; Stephen Rosenthal of UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital in San Francisco; and Norman Spack of Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard Medical School. The study will take place at four academic medical centers with dedicated transgender youth clinics.
Garofalo, who gave additional credit to the Tawani Foundation for its financial support on transgender health issues, added that the study came at the "perfect time" and can potentially expand the scope of transgender health issues.
"There's been an explosion of awareness in transgender health, both in the medical field and in the media, as well as in academic circles," he said. "For too long, transgender health issues have been seen singularly through the prism of HIV."
The study begins enrollment in fall 2015 and will include 280 transgender youth. Participants will be individuals seeking medical intervention to align their physical bodies with their gender identity and alleviate gender dysphoria and its associated negative effects, including anxiety, depression and substance abuse.
This article shared 5552 times since Sun Aug 16, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Biden nominates Dr. Rachel Levine, first trans person nominated for Senate-confirmed position
--From press releases - From Victory Institute: Washington, DC — President-elect Joe Biden nominated Pennsylvania Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine to be the U.S. Assistant Secretary of Health — a historic nomination that makes her the first out trans ...
|Biden picks transgender assistant health secretary
- President-elect Joe Biden has chosen Pennsylvania Health Secretary Rachel Levine to be his assistant secretary of health—positioning her to become the first openly transgender federal official to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate, a Seattle Times ...
|SHOWBIZ LGBTQ movies, 'Color Purple,' Nick Jonas, gay coach 2021-01-17|
- The film Draw with Me has launched its virtual theatrical release at ArenaScreen through Feb. 9, and was the subject of the first-ever panel at the United Nations on Transgender Health, a release stated. Featuring Jennifer ...
|Research on military trans ban shows urgency of Biden acting on pledge 2021-01-14|
--From a press release by The Palm Center - President-elect Joseph Biden has promised to reverse the military's ban on service by transgender Americans on "day one" of his presidency. Research recently released by the Palm Center explains why lifting the ban is an urgent ...
|Trans woman, man killed in Chicago's Gresham area
- A transgender woman and a man were killed in a shooting Jan. 6 in Chicago's Gresham neighborhood, The Chicago Sun-Times reported. A gunman fired shots from a silver-colored vehicle about 5 a.m. in the 800 block ...
|Vulnerable communities slow to adopt key strategy to stop HIV's spread 2021-01-11|
--From a UCLA press release - LOS ANGELES — Taking a daily pill to prevent HIV transmission is one of the most effective biomedical strategies available to combat the virus' spread, yet use of this health regimen remains low among vulnerable communities ...
|SHOWBIZ Laverne Cox, lesbian coach, Jim Parsons, 'Brokeback,' theater items 2021-01-11|
- Laverne Cox is teaming with Meryl Streep and Rashida Jones to executive-produce a new documentary exploring one of the most critical issues at the intersection of race, feminism, and power: the sex industry, out.com noted. Sell/Buy/Date ...
|NATIONAL Anti-bias rule nixed, trans deaths, lesbian archivist dies 2021-01-11|
- Under the cover of chaos the day after Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol, the Trump administration officially nixed regulations barring federal grantees in the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) from discriminating against LGBTQ ...
|WORLD Greece appointee, India trans items, top LGBTQ issues 2021-01-11|
- The center-right government of Greece announced the country's first out minister, out.com reported. Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis appointed Nicholas Yatromanolakis as the new deputy minister of culture. The 44-year-old native ...
|National LGBTQ organizations call for Trump's removal from office 2021-01-08|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, Jan. 7, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, along with leading LGBTQ legal, health, youth, justice and equality organizations, is callin ...
|New reports from Palm Center look at military transgender ban, Biden's position 2021-01-01|
From a press release - President-elect Joseph Biden has promised to reverse the military's ban on service by transgender Americans on "day one" of his presidency. Research recently released by the Palm Center explains why lifting the ban is an urgent ...
|Legislators partner with Chicago group for trans women's funeral expenses
- Several LGBTQ and allied legislators are partnering with Chicago-based trans organization Brave Space Alliance (BSA) to establish a dedicated fund to support the funeral expenses of local trans women who have been murdered. The lawmakers are ...
|Chicago trans woman Eshay Key, 25, dies in Christmas shooting 2020-12-28|
Column by Sue Kerr - Just a week after writing about the ugly shooting death of a 19-year-old Black gender nonconforming young adult while they were at a Christmas party, I was hopeful there would be no more deaths to cover ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans movie, best/worst LGBTQ films, sports items, Whitney 2020-12-27|
- Shout! Studios entered into an exclusive deal with Kirkpatrick & Kinslow Productions (KKP) and Scatena & Rosner Films (SNR) to distribute the new LGBTQ-focused documentary The Sound of Identity, a press release noted. The movie chronicles ...
|NATIONAL Aimee Stephens, GNC teen murdered, Katie Hill, Amazon 2020-12-27|
- A consent decree ordered that Michigan business Harris Funeral Homes—which fired the late Aimee Stephens for being transgender and led her to sue the business in litigation that made its way to the U.S. Supreme Court—must ...