WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago-area author releases book about gay, autistic African-American
This article shared 1684 times since Wed Aug 18, 2021
PenPower Book Marketing Services and Chicago-area author Jaire Sims have released his debut young adult novel, Getting By, which was named a finalist in the African American (Fiction) category in the 2021 Next Generation Indie Book Awards.
The book, a coming-of-age story, focuses on the unique struggles of an autistic gay African-American teen.
Getting By introduces readers to Carver Goodmana high school junior living in Chicago whose main goal for the year is studying for and getting a good score on the ACT exam. However, his path to fulfilling his objective is filled with the trials of life: bullies, a recent autism diagnosis, first romance and the desire to determine his own sexuality.
"I wanted to write a story for people like me," said Sims in a statement. "During my teen years I noticed that finding books with Black, gay or autistic protagonists was difficult and mostly non-existent. My goal with this novel was to give today's readers an option that better reflects who they uniquely are, and hopefully show them that they too can write and add their own voices to these underserved communities."
Getting By is available through BookBaby.com and online booksellers. Also, see JaireSims.com .
This article shared 1684 times since Wed Aug 18, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Five Worth Finding: WNDR Museum, Prince, queer books, flowers 2022-06-16|
- WNDR Museum's Pride event "Crafting with Queens": The West Loop museum is usually entertainment and, um, wondrous enough on its ownbut during Pride Month, WNDR is queering things up with "Crafting with Queens" on Tuesday, ...
|Northwestern University Libraries and Center for Applied Transgender Studies launch trans studies journal 2022-06-16|
- Northwestern University Libraries (NUL) and the Center for Applied Transgender Studies (CATS) are now publishing the Bulletin of Applied Transgender Studies. The Bulletin of Applied Transgender Studies (BATS)the first journal ...
|Catholic publisher cancels Chicago theologian's 'Queer God de Amor' book 2022-06-13|
- On June 9, New Ways Ministry received the following statement by Miguel Diaz, a former U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See and the John Courtney Murray, S.J., University Chair in Public Service at Loyola University Chicago. ...
|34th annual Lambda Literary award winners announced 2022-06-13|
-- From a press release - New York, NY, June 11, 2022 — Lambda Literary, the nation's premier LGBTQ literary organization, announced the winners of the 34th Annual Lambda Literary Awards (a.k.a. the "Lammys") at a live virtual award ceremony hosted by ...
|TRAVEL Descanso is Palm Springs newest gay resort 2022-06-08|
- Descanso is the first resort for gay men to open in Palm Springs in more than 10 years, and "The response has been beyond expectations," said general manager Kent Taylor. Weekends are already booked through June, ...
|BOOKS Artist Sam Kirk talks 'The Meaning of Pride' 2022-06-08|
- In the children's book The Meaning of Pride, Rosiee Thor pens an ode to LGBTQ+ culture and identity by celebrating the beauty, significance and many dimensions of the concept of Pride—and showing that the word can ...
|Gerber/Hart unveils Pride Month events with 'Drag,' 'Bad Gays,' sneak peek 2022-05-30|
- Gerber/Hart Library has revealed the events it will host for Pride Month. On Saturday, June 4, at 3 p.m., Gerber/Hart will celebrate the release of Legends of Drag: Queens of a Certain Age with Unabridged Books ...
|SHOWBIZ Laverne Cox, PBS special, Ricky Martin, queer books/authors 2022-05-29|
- Nouveau Productions and PBS announced a new collaboration for Pride Month, per a press release. The special True Colors: LGBTQ+ Our Stories, Our Songs will offer a unique look at the history of the LGBTQ+ community ...
|State Farm drops GenderCool Project; Illinois General Assembly LGBTQ Caucus, Equality Illinois respond 2022-05-26|
- This week in response to an outcry from a hateful few, Illinois-based insurer State Farm dropped their support for The GenderCool Project, which provides LGBTQ-affirming books to schools across the country on a voluntary basis. We ...
|Actor/model David Pevsner challenges age and body stereotypes in recent book 2022-05-24|
- When writing his recent bookDamn Shame: Desire, Defiance and Show Tunesactor/model/filmmaker David Pevsner noticed three themes coming to the fore: body shame, sexuality and ageism. "All three of those are ...
|Gayla Turner talks new book uncovering her grandmother's secret queer identity 2022-05-23|
- In Gayla Turner's debut book, Don't You Dare: Uncovering Lost Love (BookBaby, May 24), she reveals her Grandmother Ruby's (1896-1977) century-old secret queer identity that she hid from the wider world. This revelation became c ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|TV Writer Joel Kim Booster, director Andrew Ahn take a trip to 'Fire Island' 2022-05-15|
- Based on the classic Jane Austen book Pride and Prejudice, the new Fox Searchlight film Fire Island has an important story to tell LGBTQ+ audiences specifically. In that story, there are plenty of laughs along the ...
|BOOKS 'Tinderbox' author to appear in Palatine on June 14 2022-05-13|
- Author Robert Fieseler will discuss his debut book—Tinderbox: The Untold Story of the Up Stairs Lounge Fire and the Rise of Gay Liberation—on Tuesday, June 14, at 7 p.m. at Palatine's Cutting Hall Performing Arts Center, ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...