WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 1723 times since Wed Sep 1, 2004
Among 19 people arrested in a Saturday night prostitution sting in Lakeview were 15 transgenders. The police now offer a card giving the transgenders information on social services available. The arrests were made in the heavily commercial area of Belmont and Sheffield streets. Some of the 15 were men dressed is female clothing, others were further along in their sex-change operations, police said.
Candace Gingrich will be the Keynote Speaker at GLSEN Chicago's First Annual Back-to-School Brunch Sunday, Sept. 12, W Hotel City Center, with MC Vickie Shaw. See www.glsenchicago.org/brunch.html.
The Chicago chapter of the GLBT Stonewall Democrats is re-booting. They are hosting an organizing meeting—for voter registration, canvassing for candidates, and gaining a voice in the party, Thursday, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m., Ann Sather's, 929 W. Belmont.
A night of Genderqueer Entertainment, hosted by the Chicago Kings to benefit the International Drag King Extravaganza, will be Sept. 3, 9 p.m., $10, Empty Bottle, 1035 N. Western. See Ember Swift, Patty Elvis, and DJ Pussy Galore. See www.idkechicago.com .
This article shared 1723 times since Wed Sep 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MOVIES 'Bolshoi Ballet' series to start locally Nov. 7 2021-10-21|
- The "2021-2022 Bolshoi Ballet in Cinema" series is set to begin Sunday, Nov. 7 with Bolshoi Ballet: Spartacus—LIVE. Spartacus is considered a ballet tour de force, set to Aram Khachaturian's score. Bolshoi Ballet: Spartacus—LIVE is set t ...
|Local business gives historic Edgewater storefront new life with holiday pop-up 2021-10-21|
--From a press release - Oct. 20, 2021 - Chicago, IL - The iconic former Granville Pictures storefront at 6200 Broadway in Edgewater is getting a second life with a holiday pop-up from local business City Grange. For nearly 90 years ...
|HHS awards $2.21B in FY2021 for HIV care, support services, medication 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), announced approximately $2.21 billion in Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program funding for cities, counties, states, and local community-based organizations in fiscal year ...
|TRAVEL Conde Nast readers select The Gwen as Chicago's best hotel 2021-10-05|
- Conde Nast Traveler's readers have spokenand their views of Chicago's hotels are distinctly different from those of another top travel publication. While Viceroy Chicago topped Travel + Leisure's readers' list of local spots to stay, ...
|Urban Village Church hosting drag worship service, Pride prom Oct. 10 2021-10-04|
- On Sunday, Oct. 10, Urban Village Church (UVC) will host a drag worship service at its Wicker Park site, 1012 N. Noble St. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. (CST) with performances from local drag artists, including ...
|GLAAD launches video series spotlighting Black LGBTQ+ small-business owners 2021-10-04|
- GLAAD has launched "Changemakers," a four-part video series spotlighting Black LGBTQ+ small-business owners and their impact within their local communities before and throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. The series, presented by ...
|GLAAD releases 'Local Media Accountability Index - U.S. South' 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - GLAADhe world's largest LGBTQ media-advocacy organizationhas released its "Local Media Accountability Index - U.S. South," a measurement and evaluation of LGBTQ and HIV coverage in local news outlets across nine ...
|TRAVEL Local hotels make Travel + Leisure's 'Best' lists 2021-09-12|
- Hotels in Chicago were among those honored in Travel + Leisure's annual best-of lists, with readers serving as voters. ...
|MUSIC Local band Glad Rags releasing 'All of Them' on Oct. 15 2021-08-31|
- Chicago-based queer psychedelic orchestra band Glad Rags will release the LP All of Them on Oct. 15. The six-member band began recording the record in late 2018 at Jamdek Studio, and spent 2019 tracking overdubs and ...
|Andersonville Chamber of Commerce to present Andersonville Homecoming 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (August 26, 2021) — The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce Andersonville Homecoming, a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring live entertainment, local artisans and merchants, food ...
|Pritzker signs legislation creating local journalism task force 2021-08-23|
--From a press release - Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker signed into law Senate Bill 134, which creates the Local Journalism Task Force. The Task Force will conduct a comprehensive study of the status of journalism and make recommendations for improvement to ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gerber/Hart, 'Mr. Soul!,' S'mores desserts and more 2021-08-09|
- —Stacks of Laughter: Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John ...
|Filmmakers debut Latinx-centered pandemic documentary 2021-08-06|
- Community members gathered at Chicago History Museum (CHM) July 22 for the debut of the locally produced documentary Seguimos Aqui: Pride, Pandemic and Perseverance as well as a conversation with that film's primary collaborators. Seguimos Aqu ...
|Gerber/Hart comedy benefit Sept. 18 2021-07-31|
- Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John D'Emilio. Also, a ...
|'Filmmaking on the South Side' on Aug. 21 2021-07-28|
- On Aug. 21, 7-9:30 p.m., Chicago Humanities Festival and local partners from Sisters in Cinema, South Side Home Movie Project and the Chicago South Side Film Festival will host a conversation about the development of community-based ...