||Chicago Non-Profits Visit Africa
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 4202 times since Sun Jan 1, 2006
On a World AIDS Day mission, the leaders of two Chicago-based HIV/AIDS non-profit organizations—The Children's Place Association and Global Alliance for Africa—journeyed to remote villages in Kenya and Tanzania, according to a press release from the former group. The aim of the trek was to assess their recent expansion of AIDS orphan care and to set the stage for further expansion.
From Nov. 28 to Dec. 8, Cathy Krieger, the president of The Children's Place Association, and Thomas Derdak, executive director of Global Alliance for Africa, were in Kenya to visit children in Nairobi as well as the more remote areas of Asembo Bay and Laikipia.
The Children's Place Association, located in Humboldt Park, is the city's leading provider of specialized early learning and day care for HIV/AIDS-infected and -affected toddlers and infants. Currently, Chicago-based Global Alliance for Africa helps provide care to AIDS orphans in Kenya and Tanzania, providing safe environments in extended family or foster care homes.
Since The Children's Place Association assumed the administrative tasks for Global Alliance's Chicago office in July, the alliance has generated concrete results, including expanded care and new donor commitments.
This article shared 4202 times since Sun Jan 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'When Black queer people win, everybody wins': Foundation releases report to improve equity at community orgs 2023-11-28|
- In November, Lighthouse Foundation released its 2023 update on its research project, the Black Queer Equity Index, providing a guide that non-profit leaders can use to improve the experiences of marginalized employees and clients. Since 2020, ...
|YEPP 'rises' to occasion at fall fundraiser 2023-11-20|
- Members and guests of Youth Empowerment Performance Project (YEPP) gathered Nov. 17 at Chicago Theater Works, 1113 W. Belmont Ave., for the organization's fall fundraiser, Rise Up: Our Celebration of Resistance. The evening marked both the ...
|Victory Fund celebrates Midwest LGBTQ+ activists and officials 2023-11-19|
- On Nov. 15, the Victory Fund Midwest Chapter held its annual fundraiser and gala, "Victory in the Midwest," at Venue West. 221 N. Paulina St. The event honored Jim Bennett (formerly Lambda Legal's Chicago office manager ...
|Howard Brown Health Workers United members gather for post-strike rally 2023-11-16|
- Howard Brown Health (HBH) Workers United members held an evening post-Unfair Labor Practices (ULP) strike rally Nov. 15 in front of the new multi-story HBH Halsted clinic. It was the conclusion of their two-day strike that ...
|HRC's 2023 survey of cities, towns shows record support for LGBTQ+ residents; Chicago scores 100 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON—Te Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC), in partnership with the Equality Federation, an advocacy accelerator rooted in social justice that builds power in a network of state-based LGBTQ+ advocacy organizations ...
|GLAAD to receive Television Academy's Governors Award 2023-11-15|
- The Television Academy announced LGBTQ+ media-advocacy organization GLAAD as the 2023 Governors Award recipient. Founded in 1985 by Vito Russo, author of The Celluloid Closet, and other LGBTQ advocates, GLAAD works with leaders in television, film, ...
|Rainbow wave: Historic number of LGBTQ+ Candidates elected in 2023 2023-11-08|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Over 200 out LGBTQ+ candidates won their elections in 2023 — including 148 tonight — more than in any other odd-numbered election year in U.S. history. The number of victories is expected to ...
|Black Excellence Awards winners named, inaugural Chicago Black Arts Hall of Fame inductees honored 2023-11-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Nov. 7, 2023)—The nonprofit Black Arts & Culture Alliance of Chicago is proud to announce the winners of its 23rd Annual Black Excellence Awards, honored last night in a festive celebration at Black Ensemble Theater. ...
|HRC Chicago hosts 2023 celebration 2023-11-06|
Photos by Kat Fitzgerald/MysticImagesPhotgraphy.com - The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Chicago held its annual fundraising dinner and auction the evening of Nov. 4 on at the Fairmont Chicago, 200 N. Columbus Dr. HRC Chicago's Community Leadership Award was presented to Jared ...
|Gay Games dealing with backlash, low turnout 2023-11-06|
- Gay Games 11 Hong Kong 2023 (which is also taking place in Guadalajara, Mexico) is taking place, but is contending with some obstacles, including political backlash and low registration numbers, media outlets have reported. According to ...
|Col. Jennifer Pritzker talks about philanthropy, Republican ties 2023-11-03|
- Col. Jennifer Pritzker is someone who firmly believes in giving. There's the transgender activist who has been supportive of many LGBTQ+-related causes. And, of course, there's the Jennifer Pritzker who spent almost three decades in the ...
|Report: More than 500 LGBTQ+ candidates ran for office in 2023 2023-11-02|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ+ Victory Fund, the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ+ leaders to public office, released its 2023 Out on the Trail report, the only annual report on the number and diversity ...
|Imperial Windy City Court of the Prairie State Empire announces Windy City Gala Coronation 19 2023-10-31|
--From a press release - Chicago, Illinois— October 30, 2023 — The Imperial Windy City Court of the Prairie State Empire announces Windy City Gala Coronation 19 Weekend, November 16-19, 2023. Please come join Empress Fifi De Praved and Emprex Chocolate ...
|Harlem unveils supportive housing for LGBTQ+ youths, young adults 2023-10-25|
- On Oct. 24, NYC government officials and nonprofit organization leaders held a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the completion of a housing development in Harlem with services for homeless LGBTQ+ youth and young adults between the ages ...
|HRC and Dylan Mulvaney to partner for 2024 SXSW Featured Session 2023-10-25|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) announced a key Featured Session at the South By Southwest (SXSW®) Conference and Festivals curated to discuss poignant LGBTQ+ issues. The panel, titled "When Beer Goes Viral: The Role ...