||Chicago Non-Profits Visit Africa
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 3949 times since Sun Jan 1, 2006
On a World AIDS Day mission, the leaders of two Chicago-based HIV/AIDS non-profit organizations—The Children's Place Association and Global Alliance for Africa—journeyed to remote villages in Kenya and Tanzania, according to a press release from the former group. The aim of the trek was to assess their recent expansion of AIDS orphan care and to set the stage for further expansion.
From Nov. 28 to Dec. 8, Cathy Krieger, the president of The Children's Place Association, and Thomas Derdak, executive director of Global Alliance for Africa, were in Kenya to visit children in Nairobi as well as the more remote areas of Asembo Bay and Laikipia.
The Children's Place Association, located in Humboldt Park, is the city's leading provider of specialized early learning and day care for HIV/AIDS-infected and -affected toddlers and infants. Currently, Chicago-based Global Alliance for Africa helps provide care to AIDS orphans in Kenya and Tanzania, providing safe environments in extended family or foster care homes.
Since The Children's Place Association assumed the administrative tasks for Global Alliance's Chicago office in July, the alliance has generated concrete results, including expanded care and new donor commitments.
This article shared 3949 times since Sun Jan 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Legacy Walk plaques added for Pauli Murray, Matthew Shepard 2021-10-17|
- The Legacy Project unveiled two bronze plaques recognizing LGBTQ+ historical figures Pauli Murray and Matthew Shepard on Oct. 16. The plaques, part of Northalsted's half-mile Legacy Walk, recognized Murray and ...
|3Arts awards nearly $1M to women artists, artists of color, Deaf, disabled artists 2021-10-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (OCTOBER 18, 2021)—3Arts, the Chicago-based nonprofit grantmaking organization, will award Chicago artists with nearly $1 million in unrestricted cash grants during the 14th annual 3Arts Awards, taking place ...
|LGBT Chamber of Commerce to build 1,000 school supply kits for underserved kids 2021-10-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Back 2 School Illinois (B2SI), the state's largest free school supply program, in partnership with the LGBT Chamber of Commerce of Illinois, will host a build-A-kit event at the Center on Halsted on Monday, ...
|Dozens of celebrities, companies set to take part in Spirit Day on Oct. 21 2021-10-15|
--From a press release - New York, NY, Thursday, October 14, 2021 - Today, GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, announced a preliminary list of celebrities, shows ...
|Andersonville celebrates Halloween with 'Halloween on Catalpa' Oct. 30 2021-10-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (October 14, 2021) — Families are in for a special treat this year as Andersonville once again hosts its socially-distanced "Halloween on Catalpa" event and celebrates the return of ...
|Co-founder of LGBTQ Latinx organization reflects after decades of activism 2021-10-12|
- When activist Julio Rodriguez was 5 years old, a teacher forced him to stand up in class and choose another name—maybe John, she suggested, since people couldn't pronounce "Julio." By the time he got home, he ...
|South Side LGBTQ+ center projected to break ground next summer, open early 2024 2021-10-12|
- The $15-million LGBTQ+ center slated for creation on the city's South Side is in phase two of an anticipated five phases to completion, with a projected 2024 opening, according to stakeholders. Illinois state Rep. Lamont Robinson, ...
|Coming Out for LGBTQ+ History 2021-10-11|
- October 11th is National Coming Out Day, a day established in 1988 by members of the LGBTQ+ community to encourage people to stop hiding and be open about their identity. Coming out increases visibility of the ...
|HRC marks National Coming Out Day with new resource for youth 2021-10-11|
- On Oct. 11, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is commemorating the 33rd annual National Coming Out Day (NCOD) by announcing the release of a new resource, "Online Communities and LGBTQ+ Youth." "National Coming Out Day exists ...
|LGBT History Month: Reclaiming 41, journey to heal notorious trauma for LGBT Mexicans 2021-10-11|
- Until recently, Alberto B. Mendoza hated 41. He cringed if his dinner bill or hotel room number had the number in it, and with the countdown to his 41st birthday, he dreaded the year to come. ...
|Howard Brown's 'Big Orange Ball' on Oct. 23 2021-10-09|
- Howard Brown Health will hold its annual Big Orange Ball virtually Saturday, Oct. 23, 8-9 p.m. The event will then be shown On-Demand through Sunday, Oct. 31, at midnight. This year, people can kick off Halloween ...
|Affinity's 'Virtual Black Gold' on Oct. 23 2021-10-07|
- Affinity Community Servicesa social-justice organization serving the needs of the Black LGBTQ+ community, with a particular focus on Black womenwill hold its "Virtual Black Gold" casino event Saturday, Oct. 23. ...
|Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame, in 30th year, holds induction ceremony at Sidetrack 2021-10-07|
- The Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame, celebrating its 30th year, held its annual induction ceremony for 2021 inductees October 6 at Sidetrack, sponsored by Sidetrack, J&L Catering, Rick Aguilar Photography, and Dalila Fridi and Elizabeth McNight. ...
|30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk raises more than $400K 2021-10-06|
- CHICAGO — More than 1,800 advocates, community partners, runners, walkers, volunteers, staff members and more gathered at Soldier Field on Oct. 2 for the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago. The event raised approximately $420,000 ...
|Equality Now's virtual global gala Oct. 12 2021-10-06|
- Equality Now announced that its annual Make Equality Reality Gala will be held Tuesday, Oct. 12, at 8:30 p.m. ET/5:30 p.m. PT. Since 1992, Equality Now has worked to ensure that laws treat men and women ...
|Legacy Walk plaques added for Pauli Murray, Matthew Shepard|
|Chicago Sky win their first WNBA championship|
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula'|
|BOOKS Twelfth (and final) 'Boystown' cover revealed|
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV|