WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago Lesbian Among Calif. Bishop Nominees
by Amy Wooten
This article shared 1877 times since Wed Mar 1, 2006
The California Diocese recently announced its nominations of two out gay individuals to become the next Bay Area Episcopal bishop, including Chicago's out lesbian Rev. Bonnie Perry.
Perry, rector of All Saints Church, and Seattle's Very Rev. Robert Taylor are the two gay individuals among included in a list of five nominees. 'The election, as we understand it, is we are electing a spiritual leader,' said Rev. Jack Eastwood, rector of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Oakland. 'That means there are a number of qualities we are looking for quite beyond sexuality.'
The nominations go against the Anglican Communion's 2004 recommendation on putting a moratorium on the ordination of lesbian and gay bishops in active same-sex relationships.
According to Eastwood, there isn't much the Anglican Communion can do because each diocese operates independently. It is unclear how divisive the election of a gay or lesbian bishop will be this time around. The 2003 election of openly gay New Hampshire bishop Gene Robinson caused a schism in the Anglican community.
'It still will be [ divisive ] , and what exactly will happen is hard to say,' Eastwood said.
This article shared 1877 times since Wed Mar 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Navratilova says she is cancer-free 2023-03-21|
- Legendary tennis figure Martina Navratilova said she is now cancer-freefour months after announcing she had been diagnosed with throat and breast cancer, ESPN reported. "As far as they know I'm cancer-free," Navratilova told Piers Morgan for ...
|Protest held outside New Life Covenant Church over alleged anti-LGBTQ practices 2023-03-13|
- Now-former New Life Covenant Church parishioner Rosaly Andino, who is a lesbian, and her allies gathered across the street from the church in the Humboldt Park neighborhood March 12 to protest alleged anti-LGBTQ practices by Pastor David Marrero. ...
|LPAC expands board of directors, building on successful 2023 midterms 2023-03-08|
--From a press release - Washington, DC LPAC, the national political organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ women and nonbinary people to public office, announced today that Liz Culley and Janelle Perez have joined its Board of Directors. LPAC is the ...
|WORLD Kenyan group, Alan Emtage, trans anchor, Hershey campaign 2023-03-04|
- The Kenyan Supreme Court allowed an LGBTQI+-rights group to register as a non-governmental organization, The Washington Blade reported. Ten years ago, Eric Gitari, the former executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission ...
|Lightfoot concedes but other LGBTQ+ candidates make inroads 2023-02-28|
- Incumbent Lori Lightfoot, the city's first Black lesbian mayor, conceded defeat the evening of Feb. 28, after a tumultuous term and a difficult election season, where she competed against eight challengers for her post. "I stand ...
|Singer Zolita zips through Chicago on a whirlwind tour 2023-02-28|
- Zoe Montana Hoetzel has evolved into the multidimensional artist known as Zolita while cultivating a massive following. Her personality is multifaceted as well. She identifies as a lesbian, an activist and a witch, but she's also ...
|Passages: Longtime activist Achebe (Betty) Powell passes away 2023-02-23|
- Veteran social justice organizer and educator Achebe (Betty) Powell passed away Feb. 21, according to multiple reports. Powell died of COVID-19 related complications at New York Presbyterian Hospital in Brooklyn, according to a Feb. 22 statement ...
|HRC condemns North Dakota House for latest "Slate of Hate" targeting trans, non-binary people 2023-02-22|
--From a press release - Bismarck, ND - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, denounced members of the North Dakota House for ...
|Hidden History: Pamela Bannos brings the life of 19th-century lesbian photographer to new audiences 2023-02-22|
- Few people outside of New York may know about 19th-century photographer Alice Austen (1866-1952)but author/historian/Northwestern University professor Pamela Bannos wants to change that. Bannos recently completed a podcast series about ...
|At 'FIRST(ISH)' Sight: Producer Ashley Flowers speaks on 'honest' representation 2023-02-22|
- Ashley Flowers—a producer, co-creator and actor in the short film First(ish) Date, now in pre-production—wears many creative hats. She also has an extensive resume working with stage and film props as well; Flowers has been working ...
|ILGA-Europe report: 2022 was the deadliest year for anti-LGBTI violence 2023-02-21|
- ILGA (International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association)-Europe's "Annual Review of the Human Rights Situation of LGBTI People in Europe and Central Asia" announced Feb. 20 in Brussels, Belgiumreveals ...
|NATIONAL Under secretary leaving, gay man killed, anti-trans moves, SF gay bar 2023-02-19|
- Under Secretary Gina Ortiz Jones—the Air Force's second-highest ranking civilian—is stepping down on March 6, after a year and a half in the position, according to military.com. Jones was appointed by President Joe Biden as the ...
|PASSAGES: LGBTQ and HIV/AIDS activist, retired business owner Lauren Verdich 2023-02-16|
- Longtime LGBTQ and HIV/AIDS activist and businesswoman Lauren Verdich died Feb. 12 of complications from pancreatic cancer. She was 77. Verdich was born Dec. 30, 1945, in Chicago. She grew up in the Albany Park neighborhood ...
|180+ journalists and NY Times contributors join HRC, GLAAD to call out biased coverage of trans people in Times coverage 2023-02-15|
--From a press release - (New York, NY — Feb. 15, 2023) — Today GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is joined by hundreds of journalists, organizations ...
|ELECTIONS 2023 Mayor Lori Lightfoot on LGBTQ+ issues, regrets and Tom Tunney 2023-02-10|
- This is part of a series of interviews Windy City Times is running on LGBTQ+ candidates in the 2023 municipal elections taking place Feb. 28. In 2019, Lori Lightfoot became the 56th mayor of Chicago. What ...