WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago Filmmakers to participate in Masterwork: Industry Conversations series
--From a press release
This article shared 2316 times since Thu Oct 22, 2020
( Chicago, IL ) Chicago Filmmakers is pleased to announce two new editions of Masterwork: Industry Conversations, a series of virtual interviews with long established and award-winning filmmakers followed by a Q&A session with the audience. On Thursday, October 29 at 6:30PM CST, Chicago filmmaking duo Bob Hercules and Keith Walker from Media Process Group ( MPG ) will be joining us to discuss their 3-decade career as creative partners and their secrets to success. Following that, Steven Poster, ASC will join us on Wednesday, November 18 at 7:00PM CST to discuss his career as a cinematographer in Hollywood.
Media Process Group is known for filming Obama's momentous "homecoming" in Kenya and his diplomatic stops in South Africa, Ethiopia and Chad resulting in the documentary, SENATOR OBAMA GOES TO AFRICA. Their documentary MAYA ANGELOU: AND STILL I RISE premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and went on to win 17 awards on three continents including a Peabody Award. In 2019, FLANNERY, a film executive-produced by Bob Hercules, won the prestigious Ken Burns/Library of Congress Award and their newest documentary, MIKVA: DEMOCRACY IS A VERB, is slated to run on WTTW on October 29 at 8:00 PM CST.
Steven Poster is a prolific and award-winning Director of Photography, shooting landmark films like the 2001 cult classic DONNIE DARK and iconic music videos like Madonna's LIKE A PRAYER. The Chicago native joins Chicago Filmmakers in this edition of Masterwork, taking viewers through his more than sixty cinematography credits, as well as his tireless advocacy for inclusivity and diversity in the film industry.
Masterworks: Industry Conversations is an opportunity for local artists to learn from established filmmakers and industry decision-makers who are from Chicago or started their careers in the city. Each interview is followed by a Q&A session for attendees to ask questions specific to their interests and gain more knowledge from the interviewees. Previous guests include award-winning cinematographer Jeff Jur ( DIRTY DANCING, MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL ); camera operator, International Cinematographers Guild board member, and activist Michelle Crenshaw ( BOB HEARTS ABISHOLA ); and Sarah Clark, casting director at Compass Casting in Chicago, Emmy-nominated producer, and award-winning director.
Tickets for Masterwork: Industry Conversation are a suggested donation of $10-25 and can be reserved here. Chicago Filmmakers members receive free access to Masterwork: Industry Conversations, including previously recorded events.
About Chicago Filmmakers
Chicago Filmmakers is a not-for-profit media arts organization that nurtures the development of aspiring filmmakers of all ages by offering classes, workshops, and summer camps; empowers artists to create new work through production grants, equipment access, fiscal sponsorship, and other services and resources; and encourages the professional advancement of media artists through seminars, panel discussions, lectures, rough-cut and open screenings, as well as networking events and other opportunities for artistic exchange. Chicago Filmmakers serves diverse audiences through its year-round weekly film exhibition programs and its two annual film festivals, Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival and The Onion City Experimental Film and Video Festival.
This article shared 2316 times since Thu Oct 22, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Three films score 10 nods each in Chicago Film Critics Association's 2023 Awards 2023-12-08|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL (December 8, 2023) — The Chicago Film Critics Association (CFCA) announced nominees for their top film honors of 2023; winners will be announced at the organization's annual awards ceremony to be held in Chicago ...
|WORLD Laws and HIV/AIDS, Russia's crackdown, LGB Alliance, Olympians 2023-12-08|
- A senior UN official said that anti-LGBTQ+ laws stop people from accessing life-saving health services and seriously impede progress on eliminating HIV/AIDS, The Guardian reported. Sixty-seven countries have laws that ...
|SHOWBIZ Former Disney star, women's sports, Latifah, Lenny Kravitz, 'Barbie' 2023-12-08|
Videos below - In an essay about mental health that ran in Teen Vogue, former Disney star Karan Brar came out as bisexual, Out noted. In the essay, Brar talked about moving out of his parents' place —something that ...
|Brittney Griner strikes deal with ESPN, Disney 2023-12-07|
- Two-time Olympic gold medalist and nine-time WNBA All-Star Brittney Griner will partner exclusively with ESPN and Disney Entertainment Television to share her story through various projects on their platforms, according to a press release. A documentary ...
|Trans actress, gay actors, 'Kokomo City' receive Spirit Award nominations 2023-12-06|
- The nominations for the 39th annual Film Independent Spirit Awards have been announcedand LGBTQ+ actors, directors and productions definitely made their mark. Trans actress Trace Lysette was announced as one of the nominees for Best Lead ...
|MOVIES Rick Cosnett chats about 'Shoulder Dance,' Molly and Jason Momoa 2023-12-05|
- In the new movie Shoulder Dance, which is out on streaming, friends Ira (played by out actor Matt Dallas, looking and sounding quite different than from his days on TV's Kyle XY) and Roger (played by ...
|New doc brings home that 'We Live Here' and everywhere 2023-12-05|
- The new Hulu documentary We Live Here: The Midwest highlights the challenges faced in recent times by LGBTQ+ residents of the Midwest, giving voice to a wide representation of people struggling to simply live their lives ...
|MOVIES Director Daniel Peddle on the sequel to the classic doc 'The Aggressives' 2023-12-05|
- In 2005, Daniel Peddle released The Aggressives—a groundbreaking documentary filmed during the late '90s and early '00s in New York City that profiled several masculine-presenting/transmasculine people of color. Fast-forward to ...
|May December film blossoms on Netflix 2023-12-01|
- The Netflix feature film May December, directed by Todd Haynes, takes the craft of character study to a whole new level. The plot is inspired by the true story of Mary Kay Letourneau, an elementary school ...
|GLAAD marks World AIDS Day with launch of global resource hub, new HIV report 2023-12-01|
--From a press release - New York, New York — Friday, Dec. 1 — GLAAD marked World AIDS Day this year by sharing the results of its fourth annual State of HIV Stigma Report, a national survey among U.S. adults measuring ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bodyshop,' Beyonce, Ani DiFranco, Billie Jean King 2023-12-01|
- The Breaking Glass Pictures film Bodyshop will be out on digital on Dec. 5, per a press release. The plot is described thusly: "The ghost of a young soldier sexually assaulted by his lieutenant says goodbye ...
|BOOKS Lucas Hilderbrand reflects on gay history in 'The Bars Are Ours' 2023-11-29|
- In The Bars Are Ours (via Duke University Press), Lucas Hilderbrand, a professor of film and media studies at the University of California-Irvine, takes readers on a historical journey of gay bars, showing how the venues ...
|SHOWBIZ Billy Porter, queer novel, 'Tammy Faye,' queer DJ, Bella Ramsey 2023-11-24|
- Billy Porter released his long-awaited new album, Black Mona Lisa, via Island Records UK/Republic Records, and it's executive-produced by Justin Tranter, a press release noted. Porter said, "So many of the songs on my album have ...
|Disney exhibition chronicles a century of entertainment history 2023-11-21|
- Disney100, a large-scale traveling exhibition marking the 100th anniversary of the Walt Disney Company, has opened at the Exhibition Hub Art Center, 2367 W. Logan Blvd., in Bucktown. Hundreds of props and artifacts from the company's ...
|SHOWBIZ Music awards, military film, Tom of Finland, Yo-Yo Ma, 'Harley Quinn' 2023-11-17|
Video below - Brothers Osborne—a duo that includes gay brother TJ Osborne—won Vocal Duo of the Year for the sixth time at the recent CMA Awards, per a media release. Backstage, TJ told reporters, "I did not expect us ...