WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago Filmmakers to participate in Masterwork: Industry Conversations series
--From a press release
This article shared 1155 times since Thu Oct 22, 2020
( Chicago, IL ) Chicago Filmmakers is pleased to announce two new editions of Masterwork: Industry Conversations, a series of virtual interviews with long established and award-winning filmmakers followed by a Q&A session with the audience. On Thursday, October 29 at 6:30PM CST, Chicago filmmaking duo Bob Hercules and Keith Walker from Media Process Group ( MPG ) will be joining us to discuss their 3-decade career as creative partners and their secrets to success. Following that, Steven Poster, ASC will join us on Wednesday, November 18 at 7:00PM CST to discuss his career as a cinematographer in Hollywood.
Media Process Group is known for filming Obama's momentous "homecoming" in Kenya and his diplomatic stops in South Africa, Ethiopia and Chad resulting in the documentary, SENATOR OBAMA GOES TO AFRICA. Their documentary MAYA ANGELOU: AND STILL I RISE premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and went on to win 17 awards on three continents including a Peabody Award. In 2019, FLANNERY, a film executive-produced by Bob Hercules, won the prestigious Ken Burns/Library of Congress Award and their newest documentary, MIKVA: DEMOCRACY IS A VERB, is slated to run on WTTW on October 29 at 8:00 PM CST.
Steven Poster is a prolific and award-winning Director of Photography, shooting landmark films like the 2001 cult classic DONNIE DARK and iconic music videos like Madonna's LIKE A PRAYER. The Chicago native joins Chicago Filmmakers in this edition of Masterwork, taking viewers through his more than sixty cinematography credits, as well as his tireless advocacy for inclusivity and diversity in the film industry.
Masterworks: Industry Conversations is an opportunity for local artists to learn from established filmmakers and industry decision-makers who are from Chicago or started their careers in the city. Each interview is followed by a Q&A session for attendees to ask questions specific to their interests and gain more knowledge from the interviewees. Previous guests include award-winning cinematographer Jeff Jur ( DIRTY DANCING, MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL ); camera operator, International Cinematographers Guild board member, and activist Michelle Crenshaw ( BOB HEARTS ABISHOLA ); and Sarah Clark, casting director at Compass Casting in Chicago, Emmy-nominated producer, and award-winning director.
Tickets for Masterwork: Industry Conversation are a suggested donation of $10-25 and can be reserved here. Chicago Filmmakers members receive free access to Masterwork: Industry Conversations, including previously recorded events.
About Chicago Filmmakers
Chicago Filmmakers is a not-for-profit media arts organization that nurtures the development of aspiring filmmakers of all ages by offering classes, workshops, and summer camps; empowers artists to create new work through production grants, equipment access, fiscal sponsorship, and other services and resources; and encourages the professional advancement of media artists through seminars, panel discussions, lectures, rough-cut and open screenings, as well as networking events and other opportunities for artistic exchange. Chicago Filmmakers serves diverse audiences through its year-round weekly film exhibition programs and its two annual film festivals, Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival and The Onion City Experimental Film and Video Festival.
This article shared 1155 times since Thu Oct 22, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ: Awards, 'Bebop,' Andy Cohen, Mariah Carey, Revry 2020-11-23|
- The American Music Awards aired live Nov. 22 and some of the biggest names in music took home awards; Taraji P. Henson hosted. According to CNN.com, Doja Cat won new artist of the year and Becky ...
|MOVIES Paul Bettany talks 'Uncle Frank' and his own closeted father 2020-11-22|
- In the critically acclaimed Amazon Studios movie Uncle Frank, out Nov. 25, Paul Bethany (the Avengers and Iron Man series; Master and Commander; The Da Vinci Code) plays the title charactera literature professor who has two ...
|MOVIES Peter Macdissi reflects on making 'Uncle Frank' 2020-11-21|
- In the Amazon Studios movie Uncle Frank, out Nov. 25, Peter Macdissi plays Walid "Wally" Nadeem—the partner of the title character (played by Paul Bettany). However, the dynamics are a bit different in that Frank Bledsoe ...
|Hubbard Street Dance presents surrealist film online Dec. 3, 5 and 6 2020-11-19|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC) continues its 2020/21 43rd season with a virtual premiere presentation of new work from former Hubbard Street dancer and acclaimed choreographer Jonathan Fredrickson ...
|Day With(out) Art: Transmissions launches online Nov. 30 2020-11-18|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, Nov. 16, 2020 — Visual AIDS, the only contemporary arts organization fully committed to raising AIDS and HIV awareness through dialogue, art exhibitions and public forums, announces their ...
|SHOWBIZ Wentworth Miller, Whitney, lesbian author, Mark Wahlberg 2020-11-16|
- Out actor Wentworth Miller said he doesn't want to be involved in a new season of the TV show Prison Break if it happens, according to Deadline. On Instagram, he thanked fans for his support and ...
|MOVIES Trans-focused Born to Be to be released Nov. 20
- Born To Bea hit documentary on the country's first hospital center for transgender medical carewill open in Philadelphia on Friday, Nov. 20 (also the Transgender Day of Remembrance) with Gene Sickle Film Center Virtual Cinema. The ...
|THEATER Pride Arts artistic director resigns; PFP keeps Zak 2020-11-12|
- Two controversial developments have occurred at Pride Arts (in which Pride Films & Plays, PFP, is the main tenant). According to a letter from PrideArts President Cheri Tatar that Windy City Times obtained, PFP Artistic Director ...
|MOVIES Henry Golding gets intimate in 'Monsoon' 2020-11-11|
- Taking a turn from larger-budget movies such as A Simple Favor and Crazy Rich Asians, actor Henry Golding stars in the intimate film Monsoon. The movie features Golding as Kit, a young British-Vietnamese man who returns ...
|Mama Gloria, about Chicago's elder, trans, activist icon, to screen 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Luchina Fisher's Mama Gloria, an important and timely documentary about Chicago's trailblazing Black trans elder icon and activist Gloria Allen, will hold nationwide screenings during Transgender Awareness ...
|SHOWBIZ Rock Hudson, The CW, Jillian Michaels, Isis King 2020-11-09|
- Among Kino Lorber's December DVD and Blu-ray releases is a three-movie set (with the 1953-54 features Seminole, Golden Blade and Bengal Brigade) starring the late actor Rock Hudson, a press release noted. Co-stars in the films ...
|Chicago Underground Film Festival offers virtual and drive-in screenings in November 2020-11-03|
--From a press release - CHICAGO—The 27th Annual Chicago Underground Film Festival (CUFF), the world's longest-running underground film festival and called "the festival you wouldn't take home to mom," returns in 2020 with virtual screenings ...
|Lilly Wachowski: Refuse Fascism, at the Ballot Box and in the Street
Video below - In a rare, public and political statement, filmmaker Lilly Wachowski (co-creator of The Matrix trilogy, V for Vendetta, Sense8) published this personal essay on the literary website, LitHub.com, calling on people to "Refuse Fascism, at the ...
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, LGBTQ athletes, film winners, Charles Busch 2020-11-02|
- RuPaul has a lot of irons in the fire, according to out.com. Not only is she on the cover of Cosmopolitan UK's January 2021 issue, but the drag icon has also posted her new five-track Hey Sis, It's Christmas EP. Also, ...
|Billy Masters 2020-11-02|
- "We've got control of this thing. If you look at my Instagram, it's gone to almost nothing."Donald Jr. tells Laura Ingraham that people don't have to worry about quarantine or the coronavirus, and that the deaths ...