WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago Dyke March on June 26
This article shared 1156 times since Tue Jun 22, 2021
The Chicago Dyke March is slated to resume Saturday, June 26, at 2 p.m., starting at Palmer Square Park, 2200 N. Kedzie Ave.
According to the march organizers' account (@chi_dykemarch), "there will not be a traditional Dyke March rally this year."
The march is ending in time for participants to attend The Revolution Will Have Queer Joy Picnic, taking place near our end point at the Comfort Station (2579 N. Milwaukee Ave.). Attendees are asked to wear masks.
Organizers say on the Instagram account, the goals of this year's march revolve around four items: "abolishing the Chicago Police Department, the Israeli occupation forces and ICE" (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) as well as granting "power to the people."
This article shared 1156 times since Tue Jun 22, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Filmmaking on the South Side' on Aug. 21 2021-07-28|
- On Aug. 21, 7-9:30 p.m., Chicago Humanities Festival and local partners from Sisters in Cinema, South Side Home Movie Project and the Chicago South Side Film Festival will host a conversation about the development of community-based ...
|Gina Ortiz Jones, Shawn Skelly confirmed by U.S. Senate; both make LGBTQ history 2021-07-22|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — The United States Senate today confirmed two historic LGBTQ presidential nominees by unanimous consent. Gina Ortiz Jones, confirmed for Under Secretary of the Air Force, will be the first out lesbian to serve ...
|Queer In(n) producers announce inaugural installation unveiling, upcoming website 2021-07-18|
- Partners and co-producers, Kelli Simpkins and Adithi Chandrashekar are creating a curated, generative online arts gallery called Queer In(n). The inaugural unveiling of a five-foot-by-six-foot wheat paste portrait of longtime ...
|Billie Jean King part of group inducted into Tennis Hall of Fame 2021-07-17|
- Lesbian trailblazer and icon Billie Jean King was one of 12 people inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame on July 17, according to the hall's website. The Class of 2021 includes coach Dennis Van ...
|PASSAGES Author, cultural theorist, scholar Lauren Berlant dies 2021-07-15|
- Author, cultural theorist and scholar Lauren Berlant died June 28 in a Chicago hospice facility of a rare form of cancer. They were 63. Berlant (who used they/them pronouns professionally) was born Oct. 31, 1957 in ...
|Prominent lesbian educator/activist/author Sally Gearhart dies at 90 2021-07-15|
- Sally Gearhartthe first out lesbian to receive a tenure-track position at San Francisco State University and a prominent LGBTQ-rights advocatedied July 14, according to The Bay Area Reporter, which cited an email Jean Crosby sent to ...
|Aug. 11 CHF Comedic Showcase to feature Abby McEnany 2021-07-13|
- On Wed., Aug. 11, 7-8 p.m., the Chicago Humanities Festival (CHF) will host "Work in Progress: A Comedic Showcase of Chicago," featuring Abby McEnany, on Navy Pier's Lake Stage. There will be a virtual introduction by ...
|Out lesbian Chantale Wong nominated to ambassador-level post 2021-07-02|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today President Joe Biden nominated Chantale Wong to be the United States Director to the Asian Development Bank, a post with the rank of ambassador. Wong is the first out lesbian and first ...
|'Tig Notaro: Drawn' airing July 24 on HBO 2021-07-01|
- Emmy and Grammy-nominated comedian, writer, actor and director Tig Notaro will return to HBO for a one-of-a-kind, genre-spanning experience in this first-ever fully animated stand-up special, Tig Notaro: Drawn, debuting ...
|Cleve Carney Museum of Art to honor Frida Kahlo's birthday 2021-06-29|
- The Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD) will honor the birthday of iconic Mexican painter Frida Kahlo in two unique ways this summer on ...
|Holocaust Memorial Museum presents "How Lesbian and Gay Resistance Leaders Defied Nazi Persecution" 2021-06-24|
--From a press release - To celebrate the contributions of the LGBTQ community this month, the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum presents its forthcoming Facebook Live virtual event, "Pride Month: Defying Nazi Persecution," on Wednesday, June 30, at 9:30 a.m. ET. The ...
|HRC, NCLR, Task Force to host 'Pride Then & Now' 2021-06-24|
- On Monday, June 28, at 7 p.m. ET, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) and the National LGBTQ Task Force will co-host a virtual event, "Pride Then & Now: Honoring the ...
|VIEWPOINT Pride at work 2021-06-23|
- Pride Month is a chance for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) people to be proud and visible in a world that tells us not to be. Pride Month is a chance to celebrate and ...
|Nobody's Darling offers Chicago's queer women a new space to gather 2021-06-19|
- Angela Barnes and Renauda Riddle are co-owners of Nobody's Darling—a new Andersonville spot that focuses on queer women. The bar, named after Alice Walker's poem "Be Nobody's Darling," opened May 20 and is located in the ...
|Pride celebration with Lightfoot, tennis legend King on June 24
- Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot and tennis legend Billie Jean King will co-host a virtual Pride celebration Thursday, June 24, 6-7 p.m. Howard Brown Health's Dr. Magda Houlberg, Chicago House's Avi Rudnick and Brave Space Alliance's LaSaia ...