WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago Alternative Comics Expo at Center on Halsted June 1 and 2
This article shared 1958 times since Tue May 14, 2019
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS During the first weekend of June, Center on Halsted, an LGBT community center located in Chicago's Boystown neighborhood, plays host to the Chicago Alternative Comics Expo ( CAKE ). The free event is open to the public and features workshops, exhibitions, panel discussions, and over 150 carefully curated vendors local and abroad.
Celebrating its eighth year, CAKE is a sweet antidote to over-commercialized, overcrowded comic-cons that focus on mainstream superheroes from the DC or Marvel Universes. Instead of legions of Aquamen and Wonder Women taking over a labyrinthine convention hall, independent artists and publishers populate rows of decorated tables lining a sunny, open gymnasium. Aisles are filled with showgoers of all ages and identities eager to meet and support their favorite artists and snatch up comics, prints, stickers and more. In 2018 CAKE organizers and volunteers welcomed over 3,000 attendees during its two days, and anticipate even higher numbers in 2019.
Each year CAKE highlights special guest artists who participate in panels and signings. This year's spec ial guaests include Chicago's own Corinne Halbert, whose Hate Baby comics series bubbles with gothic eroticism akin to the Hammer Horror films of the 1970s, Nicholas Gurewitch, who penned the internationally adored The Perry Bible Fellowship , Rosemary Valero-O'Connell, co-creator of the critically acclaimed queer coming-of-age romance, Laura
Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me , and Eisner Award-winning Brooklynite Michael Kupperman, whose work has been seen everywhere from the New Yorker to Saturday Night Live . Hosting at Center on Halsted is just one testament to CAKE's esteemed reputation as aninclusive, queer-friendly event that boasts a diverse collection of fiercely talented storytellers and illustrators. Longtime CAKE volunteer Anne Sticksel explains CAKE's lasting appeal: "It is one of my favorite events in Chicago. The people organizing the event really care and do a great job making sure things run smoothly. CAKE is a way to meet so many wonderfully talented people and see and buy their work." At a time when many in power seek to silence those who don't fit into a homogenized norm, CAKE is a space where these voices shine.
CAKE runs Saturday, June 1st and Sunday, June 2nd from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. at Center on Halsted ( 3656 N. Halsted Street ). For event updates and exhibitor information, or to learn how to become a volunteer for CAKE, visit www.cakechicago.com or follow @CAKEChicago on Twitter.
This article shared 1958 times since Tue May 14, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chicago soccer team holding anthem contest
- The Chicago-based soccer club Edgewater Castle FC (ECFC) is holding a competition for Chicago musicians, artists and composers to write its new club anthem. According to a press release, "The anthem will be sung by players ...
|PASSAGES Maya Kali Evans dies at 53 2021-02-19|
- Maya Kali Evans (formerly Curtis O. Love)—a tattoo artist and caregiver who resided in Newark, Illinois, and who previously lived in Chicago and Philadelphia—passed away peacefully Feb. 18, 2021, at home in Newark. She was 53. ...
|Court Theatre announces 2021 Southside Youth Fest, platform for teens 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces Court's 2021 Southside Youth Fest, inviting South Side teens to submit original digi ...
|Court Theatre premieres spotlight podcast highlighting Black writers 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces the online premiere of its Spotlight Podcast. A key component of Court's community ...
|Queer musician Ari Gold dies at 47
- New York City-based dance artist Ari Gold has died at age 47 after a long battle with cancer, according to out.com. Gold—who was also known as Sir Ari and GoldNation— released seven albums as a part ...
|Stage Left Theatre announces new Literary Manager 2021-02-13|
--From a press release - Stage Left Theatre is delighted to announce Bobbi Masters as our new Literary Manager. She is an artist/educator with a passion for new work who has been involved in various phases of new play development throughout ...
|ART 'Immersive Van Gogh' extended through Sept. 6 in Chicago
- Lighthouse ArtSpace Chicagoa new venue within Chicago's recently renovated landmark Germania Club Building, 108 W. Germania Pl.will extend the dates of the U.S. premiere of the art experience "Immersive Van ...
|Man charged with vandalizing Ald. Lopez's office
- A man has been charged with spray-painting the office of Chicago Ald. Raymond Lopez, according to a Chicago Sun-Times item. Antonio Torres, 28, of the 3900 block of South Artesian Avenue, was arrested and charged with ...
|Groundbreaking ceremony held for Sisters in Cinema Media Arts Center 2021-02-09|
- Sisters in Cinema held a press conference Feb. 8 at the South Shore Cultural Center to commemorate the construction of its new state-of-the-art Media Arts Center that will be at 2310 E. 75th St. The event, ...
|Howard Brown, museum partner for no-cost COVID testing in Pilsen
- Howard Brown Health and the National Museum of Mexican Art (NMMA) have announced a partnership to provide no-cost COVID-19 testing in Pilsen. The new testing site will be embedded inside the NMMA, 1852 W. 19th St., ...
|WORLD Turkish items, Gibraltar couple, lesbian lawmaker dies, Australia 2021-02-07|
- In Turkey, four students were arrested over artwork that reportedly depicted LGBT rainbow symbols alongside an image of a sacred Islamic site, the BBC reported. Students at Bogazici University in Istanbul have been protesting against the ...
|Comics: CAKE postponed to 2022
- The Chicago Alternative Comics Expo (CAKE) has been postponed to 2022. In an open letter, organizers stated, "While we are encouraged that the State of Illinois has, as of this writing, administered COVID-19 vaccine doses to ...
|FLXST opening exhibit featuring artists of color on Feb. 13
- FLXST Contemporary, 2251 S. Michigan Ave.—a fine arts and photography gallery as well as an arts incubator—will open its first 2021 group show, "Against Impossibility," on Saturday, Feb. 13, with a reception at 5:30 p.m. The ...
|Sisters in Cinema groundbreaking Ceremony promises access, training in South Shore 2021-02-05|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL - South Shore will soon have access to a state-of-the art media facility now that a local organization has begun construction on its new brick-and-mortar home. Sisters in Cinema, a 501(c)3 dedicated to celebrating ...
|Hubbard Street Dance Chicago names new artistic director
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC) announced that former company member Linda-Denise Fisher-Harrell has been named artistic director of the contemporary dance company, effective March 1. A native of Baltimore, Fisher-Harrell ...