WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago Alternative Comics Expo at Center on Halsted June 1 and 2
This article shared 2029 times since Tue May 14, 2019
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS During the first weekend of June, Center on Halsted, an LGBT community center located in Chicago's Boystown neighborhood, plays host to the Chicago Alternative Comics Expo ( CAKE ). The free event is open to the public and features workshops, exhibitions, panel discussions, and over 150 carefully curated vendors local and abroad.
Celebrating its eighth year, CAKE is a sweet antidote to over-commercialized, overcrowded comic-cons that focus on mainstream superheroes from the DC or Marvel Universes. Instead of legions of Aquamen and Wonder Women taking over a labyrinthine convention hall, independent artists and publishers populate rows of decorated tables lining a sunny, open gymnasium. Aisles are filled with showgoers of all ages and identities eager to meet and support their favorite artists and snatch up comics, prints, stickers and more. In 2018 CAKE organizers and volunteers welcomed over 3,000 attendees during its two days, and anticipate even higher numbers in 2019.
Each year CAKE highlights special guest artists who participate in panels and signings. This year's spec ial guaests include Chicago's own Corinne Halbert, whose Hate Baby comics series bubbles with gothic eroticism akin to the Hammer Horror films of the 1970s, Nicholas Gurewitch, who penned the internationally adored The Perry Bible Fellowship , Rosemary Valero-O'Connell, co-creator of the critically acclaimed queer coming-of-age romance, Laura
Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me , and Eisner Award-winning Brooklynite Michael Kupperman, whose work has been seen everywhere from the New Yorker to Saturday Night Live . Hosting at Center on Halsted is just one testament to CAKE's esteemed reputation as aninclusive, queer-friendly event that boasts a diverse collection of fiercely talented storytellers and illustrators. Longtime CAKE volunteer Anne Sticksel explains CAKE's lasting appeal: "It is one of my favorite events in Chicago. The people organizing the event really care and do a great job making sure things run smoothly. CAKE is a way to meet so many wonderfully talented people and see and buy their work." At a time when many in power seek to silence those who don't fit into a homogenized norm, CAKE is a space where these voices shine.
CAKE runs Saturday, June 1st and Sunday, June 2nd from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. at Center on Halsted ( 3656 N. Halsted Street ). For event updates and exhibitor information, or to learn how to become a volunteer for CAKE, visit www.cakechicago.com or follow @CAKEChicago on Twitter.
This article shared 2029 times since Tue May 14, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Crystal Lake's Raue Center for the Arts opens new school 2021-09-27|
- On its 20th anniversary, the Crystal Lake, Illinois-based nonprofit organization Raue Center for the Arts has launched a new school. Raue Center School for the Arts (RCSA) will provide youth and adult classes in a wide ...
|Month-long Open House Chicago 2021 to feature in-person site visits Oct. 16-17 2021-09-25|
--From a press release - (September 20, 2021) CHICAGO — Chicago Architecture Center (CAC) announced that Open House Chicago 2021 will again offer its popular in-person, indoor site visits, providing rare behind-the-scenes access to more ...
|ART The Peninsula hosting installation by Bob Faust 2021-09-23|
- The Peninsula Chicago, 108 E. Superior St., an art installation featuring Chicago artist Bob Fausthalf of a power couple of the art world, with Nick Cave. Titled "with all, and still…," this exhibit debuted mid-September and ...
|Chicago's holiday cultural and arts events to reopen for in-person 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced DCASE fall and holiday programming as Chicago's vital arts scene continues to safely and fully reopen. In-person holiday ...
|Art Institute workers forming union 2021-09-22|
- With backing for a majority of employees, organizers at the Art Institute of Chicago announced they are asking the museum to voluntarily recognize the first labor union at the cultural institution, The Chicago Tribune reported. The ...
|8th Annual Black Alphabet Film Festival on Nov. 5-7 2021-09-17|
- The 8th Annual Black Alphabet Film Festival (BAFF) will take place Nov. 5-7 at the University of Chicago's Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, 915 E. 60th St. One of the longest running Black ...
|Chicago Dance History Project moving to Ruth Page Center 2021-09-17|
- Chicago Dance History Project (CDHP)which investigates, documents and presents the individual and institutional past of Chicago danceplans to move into The Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St., as an artist in residence. ...
|ARCHITECTURE Thompson Center Idea Competition winners named 2021-09-14|
- The Chicago Architecture Center and the Chicago Architectural Club announced the jury's selection of three winning designs for the Thompson Center Design Ideas Competition that represent three distinct, creative visions for the State of Illinois Thomp ...
|CAIC announces 2021 Collaborative Works Festival, immigration, migration in song 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO— Collaborative Arts Institute of Chicago (CAIC) begins its eleventh anniversary season with its annual Collaborative Works Festival, held in venues around Chicago from October 6—9, 2021. The 2021 Collaborative ...
|TELEVISION 'Drag Race,' 'Queer Eye,' 'Pose' among Creative Emmy winners 2021-09-13|
- Three 2021 Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremonies took place Sept. 11-12—and Netflix's The Queen's Gambit led the way with nine wins going into next weekend's Primetime Emmys, Deadline reported. LGBTQ+ individuals and shows also scored se ...
|Lightfoot attends 'Parade of Hearts' public-art installation series launch 2021-09-09|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (September 8, 2021) The Love, Unity & Values (LUV) Institute, a Chicago non-profit, unveiled a new series of neighborhood art installations Sept. 8 to launch the Parade of Hearts, an initiative to commemorate the ...
|MCA names Laura Herrera Senior Director of Communications and Content 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - Madeleine Grynsztejn, Pritzker Director of the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, announces the appointment of Laura Herrera as Senior Director of Communications and Content, a newly created position that advances ...
|ART 'Frida Kahlo: Timeless' extended to Sept. 12 2021-08-26|
- "Frida Kahlo: Timeless," hosted by the Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD), has been extended an additional week to Sept. 12. To date, "Timeless" ...
|Romanticism to Ruin exhibition opening September 24 2021-08-19|
--From a press release - Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works of Sullivan and Wright, Wrightwood 659's fall exhibition, opens Sept. 24. Tickets are now available. The great American architects Louis H. Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright had rare gifts for ...
|Chicagoland performing arts venues, producers unify around vaccination, masks 2021-08-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL (August 17, 2021) — The League of Chicago Theatres shared today that a growing coalition of more than 65 performing arts venues and producers across Chicagoland have agreed upon Covid-19 Vaccination and Mask Requirements ...