WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago Abortion Fund offers alternative to anti-choice billboard campaign
From a News Release, posed April 21, 2011
This article shared 3827 times since Wed Apr 20, 2011
( Chicago… ) To provide a true alternative to anti-choice billboards on the South Side, Chicago Abortion Fund ( CAF ) will host a 'Clean Up the Lot and Community Resource Fair" on Saturday April 23rd from 9am until 4pm. It will take place at 58th State Street on the South Side of Chicago at the site of several anti-choice billboards. The clean-up and resource day is the community's response to outsider interference and judgment in regards to the shameful and disrespectful billboards placed in poor communities around the Chicago land area. Over twenty community organizations will gather to clean up the neglected empty lot and share information with community residents on how to access health care, education/training, low-cost birth control and other resources.
The billboards, depicting a picture of President Obama along with the message "every 21 minutes a future leader is aborted" are being distributed by the anti-reproductive health group Life Always. These billboards are just one of the latest tools being used to shame women of color about their legal right to access safe abortion procedures.
CAF believes this organization and the billboard campaign fail to address the social conditions that create the need for abortions, including poverty and a lack of access to contraception and reproductive health care. They refuse to support programs ( child care, food stamps, affordable housing, health care and employment ) that would help support young women and their already existing families. Moreover, Life Always has made no investment in these targeted communities and, by seeking to shock people with inflammatory racial images, spread "fake" concern.
Gaylon Alcaraz, executive director of the Chicago Abortion Fund, says "On Saturday we will show the outsiders what 'real community engagement' looks like. It is not despicable and deplorable racial imagery. It is getting to residents valuable information so that they can make healthy and informed decisions for themselves and their families. Outsiders are willing to tell the women of the community what to do, but neglect the root causes of why abortion is the alternative so many poor young women take. We will clean the lot and then walk through the neighborhoods distributing information. This is much bigger than those billboards. This is about servicing a community in need."
Chicago Abortion Fund, in existence since 1985, fights to overturn economic barriers to reproductive choice. Through direct service and education/advocacy, CAF assists low-income women in obtaining safe abortion services by providing clinic referrals, negotiated discounts and financial assistance. For more information, visit www.chicagoabortion.fund.com .
This article shared 3827 times since Wed Apr 20, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Appeals court reinstates Texas abortion law 2021-10-09|
- On Oct. 8, a federal appeals court put a temporary hold on a judge's order that had blocked Texas' six-week abortion ban, CNN.com reported. Just two days earlier, U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman issued an order ...
|Federal judge blocks strict Texas abortion law 2021-10-07|
- On Oct. 6, U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman issued an order blocking the state's six-week abortion ban, according to Texas Lawyer. Pitman, of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, granted the department's request for ...
|New Supreme Court session: Religion dominates 2021-10-04|
- First in the spotlight as the U.S. Supreme Court begins its new session Monday (October 4) is the seemingly precarious state of the right to abortion, an issue LGBT groups have long considered to be of ...
|Defend Abortion Access marches/rallies planned across Illinois Oct. 2 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — A coalition of more than 20 progressive organizations, supporters, and providers of reproductive health care are holding "Defend Abortion Access" events across Illinois on Saturday, October 2, in response to the Texas abortion ban ...
|NATIONAL Danica Roem, 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' abortion appeal, Lambda Legal 2021-09-26|
- Transgender Virginia legislator Danica Roem is facing a conservative marriage-equality opponent and former Trump administration member in her re-election race this November, Yahoo! News noted. Roem, a Democrat, was elected to the House of Delegates in ...
|Chicago pro-choice activists outraged by SCOTUS' refusal to overturn Texas abortion ban 2021-09-03|
--From a multi-organization press release - Calling it a blow to women and all abortion rights supporters nationwide, coalition calls for reversal of the Texas Law SB8, and demands "No Abortion Bans Anywhere: Not Now; Not Ever! Defend Roe!" Several Chicago groups ...
|Law banning abortions after six weeks is now set in Texas 2021-09-01|
- Legislation banning abortions after about six weeks is now the law in Texas, effectively ending Roe v. Wade protections in the state, NPR reported. Late on Sept. 1, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to block the law. ...
|U.S. Sen. Warnock to headline Personal PAC's annual luncheon 2021-07-19|
--From a press release - U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-Georgia) is slated to be a featured speaker at the Personal PAC 28th Annual Awards Luncheon on Wed., Oct. 20. The event will take place virtually and feature several pro-choice leaders. More ...
|Attorneys general challenge Tennessee abortion law
- A group of 20 attorneys general filed an amicus brief in a case challenging a Tennessee law that requires women to have two in-person appointments at least 48 hours apart before having an abortion, The Hill ...
|Removing "Global Gag" will benefit millions of women worldwide, leaders comment 2021-01-28|
--From press releases - On Jan. 28, President Joe Biden signed a presidential memorandum that will reverse restrictions on abortion access domestically and abroad imposed and expanded by the Trump administration, CNN.com reported. ...
|WORLD Honduran Congress, deportation, Canadian support, athlete comes out 2021-01-24|
- On Jan. 21, members of the Honduran Congress voted to amend the constitution, making it much harder to reverse existing hard-line bans on abortion and same-sex marriage, as lawmakers double down on socially conservative priorities, Openly ...
|Hyde Amendment included in House LHHS Appropriations Bill, NCLR responds 2020-07-08|
--From a NCLR press release - WASHINGTON, DC — Today, the U.S. House of Representatives introduced the Labor, Health and Human Services (LHHS) Appropriations bill that includes the Hyde Amendment, which bars programs from Federal agencies ...
|Pro-LGBTQ groups respond to SCOTUS ruling on Louisiana abortion law 2020-06-29|
- On June 29, the U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) ruled five to four (with Chief Justice John Roberts siding with the liberal contingent) to block a controversial Louisiana abortion law in the case June Medical Services v. ...
Roe v. Wade plaintiff said she was paid for anti-abortion stance 2020-05-20|
- Norma McCorvey, the anonymous plaintiff in the landmark Roe v. Wade case, came out against abortion in 1995, stunning the worldbut a deathbed documentary reveals that she only switched sides for money, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|Planned Parenthood opens new center in Lake County 2020-05-12|
- Planned Parenthood of Illinois (PPIL) is building on its 100-year history of providing essential healthcare by announcing the opening of a new, state-of-the-art health center in Waukegan that will enhance ...