WINDY CITY TIMES
||Channyn Lynne Parker accepts BYC post
by Matt Simonette
This article shared 1292 times since Sat Aug 12, 2017
Channyn Lynne Parker, currently the project manager for Chicago House's TransLife Project, will be leaving her post effective Aug. 31 and taking a new position as manager of youth drop-in at Broadway Youth Center [BYC].
Parker, who begins the new job Sept. 15, told Windy City Times that she has "a passion for youth work, particularly around marginalized youth. This new position offers me a platform where I can expand on that work and help [BYC operator Howard Brown Health] continue that good work they do, providing resources that help stabilize the lives of homeless youth."
BYC's work, Parker added, benefits not just unstably housed youth and youth experiencing homelessness, but the entire community as well. "Helping young people to stabilize lives helps us to stabilize ours. If they're better equipped to take the torches that we're making the world better for us. They're tomorrow's leaders and our caretakers."
She further noted, "I have loved my time with Chicago House TransLife Project. From this program, I have grown and learned so much. I know that the good work there will continue, as the TLC team will continue to serve those most marginalizedtrans women, particularly trans women of colorin the most meaningful way."
Statement from Chicago House and Social Services:
Chicago House and Social Services congratulates Channyn Parker, Manager of the TransLife Program, on her next career endeavor as Drop-In Manager at the Broadway Youth Center, effective September 1. Channyn will lead youth development services at BYC, a satellite clinic of Howard Brown Health's with a focus on LGBTQ and homeless youth ages 13-24. At Chicago House, Channyn served as TransLife Care (TLC) Project Manager, and in this role, Channyn has been a fierce and tireless advocate for all TLC program participants. Through her unending determination, advocacy and optimistic sprit, Channyn has changed the lives of hundreds of transgender and gender nonconforming individuals who have passed through the TLC Program. While she will be sorely missed, Chicago House and Howard Brown enjoy a collaborative partnership that will only grow stronger as Channyn brings her wealth of experience in organizing to BYC.
Learn more about TransLife atwww.chicagohouse.org and BYC at www.howardbrown.org .
This article shared 1292 times since Sat Aug 12, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LGBT HISTORY MONTH Angela Davis, revolutionary 2021-10-24|
By Victoria A. Brownworth - "You have to act as if it were possible to radically transform the world. And you have to do it all the time," said Angela Davis, 78, the country's most famous living revolutionary. She was born ...
|NATIONAL Trans women in sports, Grindr crime, 'Berlin Patient,' trans death 2021-10-24|
- Sports icon Billie Jean King, U.S. National Women's Soccer Team Co-Captain and World Cup Champion Megan Rapinoe, and WNBA stars Layshia Clarendon and Brianna Turner joined more than 150 fellow athletes in women's sports to support ...
|CTA proposes reduced fare changes 2021-10-22|
- During a time when the prices of just about everything seems to increase, the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) is proposing the opposite, according to The Chicago Sun-Times. The CTA has proposed slashing some fares to boost ...
|Author Margaret Atwood in anti-trans controversy 2021-10-21|
- The Handmaid's Tale author Margaret Atwood has been called transphobic after she shared an article complaining about gender-neutral language on Twitter. According to PinkNews, the opinion piecewhich Toronto Star columnist ...
|Celebrities support trans employees in Netflix walkout with video 2021-10-20|
- As the Netflix walkout in response to the company's continued support of Dave Chappelle's special The Closer was underway at the streamer's Los Angeles headquarters Oct. 20, a video that includes activists and Netflix talent alike ...
|Colorado becomes first state to require trans care as essential health benefit 2021-10-17|
- Colorado has become the first state in the country to include transition-related care for transgender people as part of the requirements for essential healthcare in the state, The Washington Blade reported. As part of the change, ...
|WORLD Plus magazine, The Guardian, Dutch princess, anti-trans ruling 2021-10-17|
- The largest circulated HIV publication in the country, Plus, unveiled its 25 Amazing People of the Year, per a press release. Just a few of the individuals are actor Billy Porter; Mandisa Nikita Dukashe: South African ...
|Attorneys general file pro-transgender brief 2021-10-15|
- A coalition of 20 attorneys general, including Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and New York counterpart Letitia James, filed an amicus brief in the case of Soule v. Connecticut Association of Schools, opposing the plaintiffs' efforts ...
|Chicago Plumbing Code allows all-gender multiple occupancy restrooms 2021-10-15|
--From a Community Restroom Access Project (CRAP) press release - CHICAGO — The Community Restroom Access Project (CRAP) applauds passage Thursday by the Chicago City Council of the plumbing code modernization ordinance that will allow businesses and building owners to ...
|Dozens of celebrities, companies set to take part in Spirit Day on Oct. 21 2021-10-15|
--From a press release - New York, NY, Thursday, October 14, 2021 - Today, GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, announced a preliminary list of celebrities, shows ...
|Brave Space Alliance's 'Out 'N Brave' panel on beauty, coming out 2021-10-14|
By Cris Villalonga-Vivoni - Coming out is one of the most terrifying yet liberating experiences that an LGBTQ+ person must endure to achieve happiness. Brave Space Alliance (BSA)—Chicago's South Side, Black-led, trans-led LGBTQ+ resource ...
|LGBTQ History Month: Pauli Murray, architect of history 2021-10-13|
By Victoria A. Brownworth - (Note: The pronouns she/her are used in keeping with Murray's own writings, but Murray was a transmasculine and gender-nonconforming lesbian.) Some say Pauli Murray is the most important U.S. activist many have never heard of. An ...
|Trans employees plan Oct. 20 walkout at Netflix [UPDATE] 2021-10-13|
- Netflix's trans employee resource group is planning a company-wide walkout Wed., Oct. 20, to protest statements made by co-CEO Ted Sarandos regarding Dave Chappelle's latest comedy special The Closer, according to The Verge. "Trans Lives Matter. ...
|Netflix suspends trans employee who tweeted about Chapelle special 2021-10-12|
- Netflix suspended a transgender employee who criticized the new Dave Chappelle stand-up special The Closer, writing on Twitter that Chappelle's jokes were harmful to transgender people and the LGBTQ community, NBC News noted. The company denied ...
|Achy Obejas' bilingual poetry book Boomerang/Bumeran explores immigration, liberation 2021-10-11|
By Max Lubbers - Achy Obejas is a Cuban-American writer, translator and activist. Boomerang/Bumerán, her newest book, confronts questions of immigration, love and liberation. Like a boomerang, these ideas return throughout the collection, even ...