WINDY CITY TIMES
||Center's SAGE WinterPride: A Cool Night Out photos
This article shared 3741 times since Wed Feb 20, 2008
Center on Halsted's SAGE ( Services & Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Elders ) program hosted its first WinterPride: A Cool Night Out party and dance Feb. 16. The ages of the attendees spanned several generations, with most between 30 and 60—something that didn't faze popular DJ Levilynn Chriss, who managed to play something for everyone and keep the partygoers on the dance floor all night long. The event also included speed dating, topical chat rooms, light snacks, a cash bar and the opportunity to mingle or just kick back in the lounge. This mixer featured a long list of hosts, including lesbian community icons Pat McCombs, Betty Lark Ross and Jackie Anderson. For more information, contact SAGE Director Serena Worthington at 773-472-6469, ext. 160, or at firstname.lastname@example.org . Photos and text by Mel Ferrand.
This article shared 3741 times since Wed Feb 20, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|TPAN announces merger with Vivent Health 2023-01-20|
- Local HIV/AIDS organization TPAN announced Jan. 19 that it would be merging with Milwaukee-based Vivent Health. The merger is expected to be finalized by March 1, according to both organizations. Vivent Health, so named in 2019, ...
|One in five older LGBT adults experienced poverty during the COVID-19 pandemic 2023-01-19|
--From a press release - A new report from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law found that during the COVID-19 pandemic LGBT adults aged 50 and older were more likely to have household incomes below the federal poverty level ...
|GLAAD announces nominees for 34th Annual GLAAD Media Award 2023-01-18|
--From a press release. Video below - Jan. 18, 2023 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced the nominees for the 34th Annual GLAAD Media Awards. ...
|Asians and Friends holding Chinese New Year dinner on Feb. 4 2023-01-17|
- In a throwback to the days of Hugh Hefner, Asians and Friends Chicago (AFC) will host a Playboy and Playgirl "Bunny"-themed dinner celebrating the Year of the Rabbit, bringing together members of the LGBTQ+ community to ...
|Windy City Gay Chorus, Windy City Treble Quire begin search for artistic directors 2023-01-17|
--From a press release - The Board of Directors for Windy City Performing Arts has started their search for two Artistic Directors for the organization's choruses. Applications are now being accepted in hopes to fill these positions prior to the 2023-2024 season. ...
|Black LGBTQ+ film festival among Chicago NEA grant recipients 2023-01-11|
- The Black Alphabet Film Festivalthe world's oldest Black LGBTQ+-focused event of its kindwas part of the first round of grant recipients from the National Endowment of the Arts (NEA), receiving $20,000. In a press release, Black ...
|Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame calls for nominations 2023-01-10|
--From a news release - The Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame has announced a call for nominations for the 2023 Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame. Those wishing to may nominate individuals, organizations, businesses, or "Friends of the Community," up until April ...
|Howard Brown, union officials dispute allegations around sidewalk incident 2023-01-06|
- As striking Howard Brown Health Workers United (HBH Workers United) members represented by the Illinois Nurses Association (INA) and their allies were picketing outside of the Andersonville Brown Elephant location at 5404 N. Clark St. on ...
|Cherkasov to head Illinois Holocaust Museum 2023-01-06|
-- From a press release - Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center is proud to announce the appointment of national nonprofit leader Bernard Cherkasov as the Museum's Chief Executive Officer. [Cherkasov is gay and has been a longtime advocate for LGBTQ+ rights.] ...
|Howard Brown strike reaches third day 2023-01-05|
- Amid layoffs of 60 unionized and four non-union staffers at multiple Howard Brown Health (Howard Brown), Broadway Youth Center and Brown Elephant locations across Chicago, over 400 HBH Workers United non-nurse members represented by the Illinois ...
|Brave Space Alliance to Illinois General Assembly: Don't back down on trans protections 2023-01-04|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL - January 4, 2023 - Brave Space Alliance (BSA), the South Side LGBTQ+ Center, has been made aware of active discussions to exclude protections for trans people and gender-affirming care from pending legislation that ...
|AFC's World of Chocolate on Feb. 17 2023-01-02|
- After a nearly three-year hiatus, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) will host the return of its famed World of Chocolate fundraiser on Friday, Feb. 17, at Union Station, 225 S. Canal St. This event features a menu ...
|Howard Brown Health staff prepares for January strike 2022-12-24|
- Illinois Nursing Association (INA) filed an intent-to-strike notice against the Howard Brown Health medical organization on Dec. 23, after negotiations between the two sides have further strained in recent months. ...
|LGBTs nine times more likely than non-LGBTe to be victims of violent hate crimes 2022-12-21|
-- From a Williams Institute press release - About one out of 10 violent victimizations against LGBT people are hate crimes, according to a new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law. LGBT people are nine times more likely than non-LGBT ...
|Report released on online hate and gender-affirming providers 2022-12-16|
- The Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC Foundation) has released "Online Harassment, Offline Violence: Unchecked Harassment of Gender-Affirming Care Providers and Children's Hospitals on Social Media, and its Offline Violent Consequences." ...