WINDY CITY TIMES
||Center on Halsted awarded $45,000 from Comcast
From a press release
This article shared 5307 times since Thu Dec 5, 2013
CHICAGO ( December 6, 2013 ) Center on Halsted today announced it was awarded a three-year grant totaling $45,000 from the Comcast Foundation to support the Dr. David J. Lochman Cyber Center. Center on Halsted's mission is to advance the health and well-being of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer ( LGBTQ ) people of Chicagoland. To this end, the Cyber Center offers free Internet access for visitors, along with classes ranging from how to use Microsoft Word and Power Point and photo and video editing software, to how to set up a blog and use Twitter.
"Generous donations from Comcast and other funders give us the ability to provide vital services to the LGBTQ community and others," said Center on Halsted Chief Executive Officer, Modesto Valle.
"Comcast congratulates the Center on Halsted and is pleased to support the organization's efforts to improve the lives of LGBTQ community members in the area," said John Crowley, Comcast Greater Chicago Region senior vice president. "Comcast's goal in supporting the Center on Halsted and other organizations like it is to enhance the lives of the people in the communities we serve and where our 7,000 employees in the region live."
Ryan VanMeter, Associate Director of Development, Center on Halsted
Jack Segal, VP of Public Relations, Comcast & Board Member, Center on Halsted
Joe Higgins, External Affairs Director, Comcast
Modesto Tico Valle, Chief Executive Officer, Center on Halsted
Center on Halsted is the largest, most comprehensive community center in the Midwest dedicated to advancing community and securing the health and well-being of the LGBTQ community in Chicago. www.centeronhalsted.org .
This article shared 5307 times since Thu Dec 5, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Michaela Jae Rodriguez honored at HRC dinner 2023-03-26|
- On March 25, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) hosted its Los Angeles dinner at the JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVEand honored Golden Globe-winning and Emmy-nominated trans actress Michaela Jae Rodriguez, per a press release. Human ...
|Affinity renews Burning Bowl tradition 2023-03-23|
- On the afternoon of March 19, Affinity Community Services held Burning Bowl 2023 Renewal: And Still We Rise at the Pavilion at the Dan Ryan Woods. ...
|Mayoral candidate forum centers BIPOC LGBTQ+ issues, Vallas declines to participate 2023-03-23|
- Chicago mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson participated in a March 22 virtual LGBTQ+-focused forum co-hosted by Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago ...
|Center on Halsted to Honor Sen. Tammy Baldwin April 15, Human First Gala at The Geraghty 2023-03-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Center on Halsted is pleased to announce that its inaugural Trailblazer Award will be presented to Senator Tammy Baldwin at its annual Human First Gala being held the evening of Saturday, April 15, in ...
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items 2023-03-18|
- New York Congressman Ritchie Torres has talked about his own struggle with depression and the importance of mental health in the wake of U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.)'s recent hospitalization for clinical depression, The Washington Blade ...
|'Spring Fling' at The Baton on Thursday, April 13 to benefit Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame 2023-03-17|
--From a press release - The Baton Show Lounge (4713 North Broadway, Chicago) has been entertaining folks for 54 years and will host a special "Spring Fling", an all-new show to benefit the Chicago LGBT of Fame on Thursday, April 13 ...
|Johnson and Vallas to take part in LGBTQ+-focused candidate forum March 22 2023-03-17|
- Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago, Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus, Life is Work and Task Force Chicago are co-hosting a virtual ...
|HRC settles race-based lawsuit with former president 2023-03-16|
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and its Black former president, Alphonso David, settled a lawsuit in which David had alleged racial discrimination in his firing, Reuters reported. In September 2021, David was fired after New York state ...
|Lambda Literary announces award finalists 2023-03-16|
--From a press release - Lambda Literary has announced the finalists in 25 categories for the 35th Annual Lambda Literary Awards. The finalists were selected by a panel of over 65 literary professionals from more than 1,350 book submissions. These selections ...
|31ST annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party raises more than $9 million 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - LOS ANGELES, March 13, 2023 — The 31st annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards® Viewing Party hosted by Sir Elton John and David Furnish, with special guests Eric McCormack and Michaela Jae Rodriguez, raised more ...
|Valle leaving longtime Center on Halsted CEO role 2023-03-10|
- Longtime Center on Halsted CEO Modesto Tico Valle is leaving his post, according to organization officials. Board Chair Victor Ravago announced Valle's departure in a March 10 statement: "I share with you today that Modesto Tico ...
|Steppenwolf Theatre Company's 2023 Gala May 13 at The Old Post Office 2023-03-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (March 6, 2023) — The Steppenwolf Ensemble and Board of Trustees are pleased to host Steppenwolf 2023 Galaan unforgettable evening celebrating 47 years of powerful and thought-provoking storytelling. Emceed ...
|PFLAG holds 50th anniversary celebration gala, honors Tom Daley with George Takei Advocate Award 2023-03-05|
--From a press release - NEW YORK (Mar. 4, 2023) Last night, iconic LGBTQ+ community organization PFLAG celebrated 50 years of leading with love at a spectacular gala event hosted by comedian and actress Amber Ruffin at New York's Marriott ...
|Home of long-term NCLR Legal Director Shannon Minter devastated by Texas tornado, NCLR comments on outpouring of support 2023-03-03|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — Yesterday during violent storms in several southern states, the home of long-time NCLR Legal Director Shannon Minter and his Robin was destroyed by a powerful tornado in rural Texas. The house also ...
|LGBTQ+ Victory Fund launches new brand; celebrates LGBTQ+ progress, joy and resilience 2023-03-01|
Video below. From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ+ Victory Fund launched its new name, new logo and new visual identity. This new brand honors LGBTQ+ progress since the organization's inception in 1991, celebrates LGBTQ+ people's joy and resilience in ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|ALA: 2022 saw record demand of censorship of library books|
|Michaela Jae Rodriguez honored at HRC dinner|