WINDY CITY TIMES
||Center hosts youth Thanksgiving event
This article shared 3876 times since Sun Nov 24, 2013
The Youth Program at Center on Halsted and TEAM 101 hosted a pre-Thanksgiving dinner, spearheaded by Chef Shiane.
Youth participants had an opportunity to engage with trained chefs while eating a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, and the Youth Program honored young people who have demonstrated excellence in various program tracks with the 1st Annual Expect More Leadership Awards.
Awards were given in six categories: Sports & Recreation; Arts & Culture; Leadership & Activism; Sexual Health & Identity; Critical Thinking & Education; and Vocational & Professional Development.
Photos by Hal Baim/Windy City Times
This article shared 3876 times since Sun Nov 24, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Indiana pols propose anti-conversion therapy bill
- Indiana Stonewall Democrats issued a press release lauding state Sen. JD Ford (District 39) and state Rep. Sue Errington (District 26) for introducing a new bill to effectively end so-called "conversion therapy" practices across the state ...
|National LGBTQ organizations call for Trump's removal from office 2021-01-08|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, Jan. 7, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, along with leading LGBTQ legal, health, youth, justice and equality organizations, is callin ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|11th Circuit urged to reverse decision allowing LGBTQ youth conversion therapy 2020-12-21|
--From a Born Perfect press release - ATLANTA, GA — The Born Perfect campaign submitted a friend-of-the-court brief on Friday urging reversal of a recent decision by a three-judge federal panel validating the dangerous unethical practice known ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans acting challenge, NYE parties, Charlize Theron, Diana Ross 2020-12-14|
- Michael D. Cohen, with support from Nickelodeon, is launching the Trans Youth Acting Challenge, according to a press release. Trans and non-binary kids can submit audition self-tapes online (preferably through their parents), and the top 12 ...
|Buffalo Grove LGBTQ+ teen named one of HRC's ambassadors
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) announced that Buffalo Grove teen Molly Pinta (she/her)—a 14-year-old who identifies as bisexual—has been named a member of the 2021 class of HRC Foundation Youth ...
|THEATER Andre De Shields to help celebrate youth Dec. 9 2020-11-11|
- Andre De Shieldsa Grammy-, Emmy- and Tony-winning actor, director and educator, and the 2019 "Triple Crown" winner for his portrayal of Hermes in Hadestownwill be the keynote speaker of the Victory Gardens Theater event "Voices of ...
|Same-sex parents are 7X more likely to raise adopted, foster children 2020-10-27|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A summary of data on same-sex parenting to inform reporting on Fulton v. City of Philadelphia On Nov. 5, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in Fulton v. City of Philadelphia. The case will ...
|Inclusive curriculum tools offered to schools during LGBTQ History Month 2020-10-20|
--From a press release - October is LGBTQ History Month, and a coalition of LGBTQ organizations are celebrating by making tools available to school administrators, educators, youth, and families to help implement the state's new Inclusive Curriculum Law. The Illinois Inclusiv ...
|About Face Theatre announces 25th season of new work, digital performances
--From a press release - CHICAGO — About Face Theatre is excited to announce plans for its landmark 25th anniversary season. Featuring new and original works, the company will focus on using digital streaming and online tools for most of the ...
|WORLD French plan, 'gay panic' defense, trans youth case, Northern Triangle 2020-10-19|
- The French government unveiled a national plan to combat hatred and discrimination against LGBTQ people, and the initiative emphasises the importance of inclusive education in stamping out homophobia, RFI.fr reported. The three-year plan aims to make ...
|Study shows young queer adults face high rates of discrimination
- A new study from the progressive think tank the Center for American Progress (CAP) and the research group NORC at the University of Chicago reported that young queer adults face high rates of discrimination. The survey ...
|Campus Pride announces 2020 Best of the Best LGBTQ-friendly colleges, universities 2020-10-14|
--From a press release - Campus Pride commemorates LGBTQ History Month and National Coming Out Day by releasing its 2020 BEST OF THE BEST LGBTQ-Friendly listing of colleges and universities. The announcement features forty campuses ...
|Victory Gardens Theater announces StudentsFirst Virtual Showcase 2020-10-07|
--From a press release - Chicago, ILVictory Gardens Theater announces the Voices of Tomorrow: Their World on Stagefundraising event on Dec. 9, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. The virtual event will showcase powerful and moving spoken word and artistic works created by ...
|VIEWPOINT As a gay bipolar man, I've learned to live with suicidal thoughts 2020-10-01|
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death among young people ages 10 to 20. LGBTQ+ youth seriously contemplate suicide at almost three times the rate of heterosexual youth. In addition, LGBTQ+ youth are almost five ...