WINDY CITY TIMES
||Cast announced for May 18 virtual reading of JEFFREY
--From a press release
This article shared 2919 times since Thu May 6, 2021
CHICAGO PrideArts today announced the full cast for its upcoming reading of Paul Rudnick's comedy JEFFREY. David Belew, founder and former artistic director of Eclectic Full Contact Theatre, will direct a cast that will include Juwon Tyrell Perry [Updated May 12 for a cast change] in the title role of a gay man living in New York who decides to stop his sex-hungry ways and become celibate. His intentions are challenged, however, when he ends up falling in love with the perfect guy, Steve (to be played by Magdiel Carmona), at the gym. But not only has Jeffrey just pledged celibacy, Steve is HIV-positive. Jeffrey seeks aid from his older friend Sterling (Kalani Whitford), and he ends up realizing the importance of love. Carmona and Whitford will play multiple roles, as will the other cast members Sean Findley, Vinnie Linares, Ronnie Lyall, Julie Partyka, and Juwon Tyrell Perry. Eileen Scandiffio will be the stage manager. JEFFREY will be performed live, one night only, on Tuesday, May 18, at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10.00 and available at pridearts.org .
Stephen Holden, wrote in The New York Times that Jeffrey was "Just the sort of play Oscar Wilde might have written had he lived in 1990s Manhattan." The comedy won an Obie Award, an Outer Critics Circle Award, and the John Gassner Playwrighting Award. It was adapted as a feature film with Steven Weber and Patrick Stewart leading an all-star cast.
This article shared 2919 times since Thu May 6, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|DANCE Deeply Rooted performing Nov. 3 at the Auditorium Theatre 2023-09-27|
- The Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., is presenting Deeply Rooted Dance Theatera Chicago-based contemporary dance company rooted in traditions of American and African-American dancein a one-night-only performance ...
|Teatro Zinzanni returning to Cambria Hotel on Oct. 5 2023-09-25|
- Teatro ZinZanni is returning to the Chicago Loop—tucked inside a mirrored spiegeltent within the 14th floor of the Cambria Hotel, 32 W. Randolph St. The cast features returning fan favorites including Duo 19, a dynamic trapeze ...
|THEATER Mosaic Players revives 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche 2023-09-24|
- Are suburban Illinois and Wisconsin towns ready to welcome 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche into their churches, synagogues and community colleges? The artists of a Lake County theater company certainly think so. "I was very pleasantly ...
|SHOWBIZ John Waters, Madonna, Miriam Margoyles, Angelica Ross, 'Cassandro' 2023-09-21|
- Openly gay film director John Waters (Pink Flamingos, Serial Mom, Cry-Baby) received his star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, The Hollywood Reporter noted. (Actors Ricki Lake and Mink Stole as well as photographer Greg Gorman were ...
|SHOWBIZ Kim Petras, LGBTQ+ movies, TIFF, canceled shows, yachts 2023-09-15|
Video below - Ahead of her Feed the Beast world tour, Grammy-winning international trans pop singer/songwriter Kim Petras has shared reimagined, symphonic, seven-piece string-ensemble performances of fan favorites from her debut album Feed ...
|THEATER Queer actor Kyle Patrick reflects on leading 'American Psycho: The Musical' 2023-09-14|
- American Psychoboth the Bret Easton Ellis novel and the Mary Harron-directed film led by Christian Balewould seem ripe for a musical treatment, given the omnipresent campy elements (despite, or maybe because of, the gore). And, in ...
|Chicago Opera Theater starts 50th-anniv. season with 'Soldier Songs' 2023-09-13|
- Chicago Opera Theater (COT) is kicking off its 50th-anniversary season with David T. Little's Grammy-nominated Soldier Songs—described as "a haunting, heavy-metal infused theatrical cantata about the psychological impact of war." ...
|Porchlight Music Theatre's announces 29th season 2023-09-12|
--From a press release - This past Friday at our special event, Porchlight ICONS: Celebrating Ben Vereen, we shared the exclusive announcement of our 29th Season! The new season launches with The Cole Porter Festival - A Celebration of the Man ...
|THEATER Jim Henson production in Chicago on Nov. 14-Dec. 31 2023-09-12|
- A live theatrical adaptation of Jim Henson's Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas is making its Chicago debut Nov. 14-Dec. 31, at the Studebaker Theater at the historic Fine Arts Building, 410 S. Michigan Ave., Broadway World revealed. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Sex Education' star, Rotten Tomatoes, Jessica Lange, Queer/Art 2023-09-08|
Video below - Sex Education star Ncuti Gatwa officially came out during an interview with Elle UK, according to Out. "I remember being at Manchester Pride, going through the streets with all my boys, shaking my cha-chas, living it ...
|Theater Review: A Taste of Soul brings music and food center stage 2023-09-08|
By Brian Kirst - We all know the sluggish quagmire of weekday work mornings. Often the only thing that gets us moving and able to face the day is our favorite songs. While all of the Black Ensemble Theater productions ...
|Steppenwolf to present Broadway's Jeremy Jordan on Jan. 13 2023-09-06|
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company and Mark Cortale will present Broadway star Jeremy Jordan in his Chicago debut, performing two shows only on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at 2 and 8 p.m. in Steppenwolf's Downstairs Theater, 1650 N. ...
|Mitchell J. Fain explores the American Dream in The Lehman Trilogy 2023-09-05|
- Chicago actor Mitchell J. Fain is one of three performers headlining TimeLine Theatre Company's upcoming production of The Lehman Trilogy. Fain brings over 30 years of performing experience in the Chicago area to the table, including ...
|SHOWBIZ Military drama, Janelle Monae, Conan Gray, Dylan Mulvaney, Whoopi 2023-08-31|
- The LGBTQ+ military drama Eismayer (from Dark Star Pictures and Golden Girls Film) will be out in theaters on Oct. 6, and on DVD and Digital on Oct. 10, per a press release. The plot is ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus leader speaks on group's diversity, 'Sporty Forty' 2023-08-29|
- The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus (CGMC) is marking its 40th-anniversary season this year, and will start this milestone on Sept. 15-16 with "Sporty Forty," an event that is layered in meanings involving stereotypes and the group's ...