WINDY CITY TIMES
||Cast announced for May 18 virtual reading of JEFFREY
--From a press release
This article shared 1405 times since Thu May 6, 2021
CHICAGO PrideArts today announced the full cast for its upcoming reading of Paul Rudnick's comedy JEFFREY. David Belew, founder and former artistic director of Eclectic Full Contact Theatre, will direct a cast that will include Juwon Tyrell Perry [Updated May 12 for a cast change] in the title role of a gay man living in New York who decides to stop his sex-hungry ways and become celibate. His intentions are challenged, however, when he ends up falling in love with the perfect guy, Steve (to be played by Magdiel Carmona), at the gym. But not only has Jeffrey just pledged celibacy, Steve is HIV-positive. Jeffrey seeks aid from his older friend Sterling (Kalani Whitford), and he ends up realizing the importance of love. Carmona and Whitford will play multiple roles, as will the other cast members Sean Findley, Vinnie Linares, Ronnie Lyall, Julie Partyka, and Juwon Tyrell Perry. Eileen Scandiffio will be the stage manager. JEFFREY will be performed live, one night only, on Tuesday, May 18, at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10.00 and available at pridearts.org .
Stephen Holden, wrote in The New York Times that Jeffrey was "Just the sort of play Oscar Wilde might have written had he lived in 1990s Manhattan." The comedy won an Obie Award, an Outer Critics Circle Award, and the John Gassner Playwrighting Award. It was adapted as a feature film with Steven Weber and Patrick Stewart leading an all-star cast.
This article shared 1405 times since Thu May 6, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate Murray McKay 2022-01-20|
- Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate, curator, designer and LGBTQ activist Edward Murray McKay died Jan. 4 of cancer. He was 53. McKay was born Oct. 2, 1968, in Brussels, Belgium. The family moved to Toronto ...
|THEATER Red Orchid's 'The Moors' running through Feb. 27 2022-01-15|
- A Red Orchid Theatre is running Jen Silverman's The Moors, directed by Artistic Director and Ensemble Member Kirsten Fitzgerald, through Feb. 27 at A Red Orchid Theatre, 1531 N. Wells St. The plot is as follows: ...
|THEATER About Face announces cast of queer-themed 'Laced' 2022-01-14|
- About Face Theatre begins its 27th season with the world premiere of Samantha Mueller's drama Laced, running March 17-April 16 at the Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Set in the aftermath of the vandalism of ...
|Black Ensemble Theatre announces 2022 Season of Excellence: The Season of Healings 2022-01-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago, IL—Black Ensemble Theater's Founder and CEO Jackie Taylor announces its 2022 Season of Excellence: The Season of Healings. The 2022 Season includes four World Premiere musicals showcasing the power ...
|THEATER DuSable, puppet company to run Toni Morrison's 'The Bluest Eye' 2022-01-13|
- The DuSable Museum of African American History is partnering with the 4th Chicago International Puppet Theater Festival to present a production of The Bluest Eye, based on Toni Morrison's 1970 groundbreaking coming-of-age novel. The production will ...
|THEATER 'This Is Only a Test' Feb. 11-March 12 2022-01-12|
- Broken Nose Theatre, a pay-what-you-can theater company, is welcoming back live audiences this winter with the world premiere of Eric Reyes Loo's drama This Is Only a Test, directed by Toma Tavares Langston. The production will ...
|THEATER Queer-themed 'Queen of the Night' to run Jan. 29-March 13 2022-01-11|
- Victory Gardens Theater is slated to open its 2021-22 Mainstage Season with Queen of the Night, written by travis tate and directed by Victory Gardens Artistic Director Ken-Matt Martin. Queen of the Night features Terry Guest ...
|THEATER 'Mary Rose' running through Feb. 12 2022-01-10|
- Black Button Eyes (BBE) Productions is concluding its 2021-22 season with the world-premiere musical Mary Rose, featuring book and lyrics by Producing Artistic Director Ed Rutherford, music and lyrics by Jeff Bouthiette, direction by Ed Rutherford ...
|THEATER 'Queens of Infinite Space' canceled because of COVID 2022-01-07|
- With the increase in COVID-19 cases in Chicago and beyond, Proboscis Theatre has decided to cancel the performances of The Queens of Infinite Space set to run at Epiphany Center for Arts, 201 S. Ashland Ave., ...
|THEATER Steppenwolf delays '1919' premiere due to COVID 2022-01-07|
- Due to the COVID-19 surge driven by the Omicron variant, and out of an abundance of caution for public health, Steppenwolf Theatre Company has postponed its Steppenwolf for Young Adults world-premiere adaptation of Eve L. Ewing's ...
|Mercury Theater Chicago announces casting and artists for 'Women of Soul' 2022-01-06|
--From a press release - Chicago —Artistic Director Christopher Chase Carter, Managing Director Shane Murray-Corcoran, and Executive Producers Walter Stearns and Eugene Dizonannounce the cast and creative team for the next Mainstage production of the ...
|THEATER Trans performer Sis is doin' fine in 'Oklahoma!' 2022-01-05|
- This isn't your typical grandma's Oklahoma! The very first musical written by Rodgers and Hammerstein opened on Broadway in 1943 and continues to captivate audiences today. The dialogue remains the same, but updated casting choices have ...
|COVID Raven Theatre cancels production of 'Beautiful Thing' 2022-01-05|
- Raven Theatre announced it will cancel its upcoming production of Beautiful Thing due to the current surge of the COVID Omicron variant. The production, written by Jonathan Harvey and directed by Mikael Burke, was slated to ...
|ATTRACTIONS 'Dr. Seuss' extended through Jan. 23 2022-01-05|
- The Dr. Seuss Experiencethe immersive spectacle that gives guests of all ages the opportunity to journey through nine different Dr. Seuss bookswill now take place on Saturdays and Sundays through Sunday, Jan. 23. The attraction is ...
|THEATER 'Winnie the Pooh' running March 15-June 12 2022-01-05|
- After its run in New York City, Jonathan Rockefeller's Disney's Winnie the Pooh: The New Musical Stage Adaptation will arrive in Chicago on March 15 and will run through June 12 at the Mercury Theatre Chicago, ...