||Candlelight Vigil Set for Trans Day
This article shared 4682 times since Tue Oct 1, 2002
On Wednesday, Nov. 20, at 6 p.m., a candlelight vigil will be held at the Thompson Center Plaza, 100 W. Randolph St. The event is part of a nationally coordinated Transgender Day of Remembrance to be held that day in at least 21 cities throughout the U.S.
As of Sept. 10, 11 transgendered individuals are known to have been murdered in the U.S. this year.
"This event gives us an opportunity to remember those who have died simply because they were perceived as 'different,' said Lisa Scheps, event co-chair from It's Time, Illinois. "This is an opportunity for individuals, both in and out of the gender community to come together and say 'this is wrong-stop the killing.'"
"To bring things even closer to home, eight individuals have been killed in Illinois over the past few years for real or perceived gender variance," according to Tina Sievers, co-chair.
The vigil is being coordinated by It's Time, Illinois. It is co-sponsored by Chicago Gender Society, Equality Illinois, Howard Brown Health Center, Chicago Department of Health, Diversity of Rockford, TransGenesis, and the Chi Chapter of Tri-Ess.
This article shared 4682 times since Tue Oct 1, 2002
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Trans Jeopardy! champ's win streak ended by Chicago-area librarian 2022-01-27|
- All good things must come to an endincluding Jeopardy! champion Amy Schneider's win streak. Schneider, a transgender engineering manager from Oakland, California, lost her 41st game to Chicago Ridge multimedia librarian Rhone Talsma in an episod ...
|Indiana Court of Appeals denies trans teen's birth certificate gender-marker change 2022-01-26|
- Last August, the Indiana Court of Appeals, in a two-to-one ruling, denied the request of a transgender teen's ("H.S.") to have his birth certificate's gender marker changed from female to male. A trial court judge in ...
|COMEDY Trans comedian River Butcher performing March 11 2022-01-25|
- Non-binary trans comedian River Butcher will perform on The Heath Mainstage, 1331 N. Milwaukee Ave., on Friday, March 11, at 7 and 9:15 p.m. Butcher is a Los Angeles-based stand-up comic, actor and writer. Originally from ...
|ICYMI: NCAA Facilitator quits in protest of NCAA's failure to protect trans athletes 2022-01-24|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Dorian Rhea Debussy, Ph.D. (they/them), one of 54 facilitators in the NCAA Division III LGBTQ OneTeam program, resigned in protest of recent actions the NCAA has taken, including a new policy around ...
|NATIONAL Trans deaths, N.J. official, political items, 'Queer Eye' 2022-01-23|
- The murders of two Black transgender women in the early days of the new year struck an ominous tone in the wake of two of the deadliest years on record for transgender Americans, Gay City News ...
|HRC condemns NCAA for failure to protect LGBTQ+ athletes 2022-01-21|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. Late last night, the NCAA ratified (https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/1/20/media-center-ncaa-members-approve-new-constitution.aspx) its new constitution, which does not include nondiscrimination policy language that had ...
|VIEWPOINT Who is my neighbor? 2022-01-20|
- The notion of functioning as a Good Samaritan is one that transcends any particular faith tradition. The idea of humans treating humans in a humane way sounds so simple, yet history and modernity are replete with ...
|Revry's Black History Month of LGBTQ-First Films and Series celebrates Black stories 2022-01-20|
-- From a press release - Los Angeles - This Black History Month, Revry is programming LGBTQ-first Black stories with themes from the differently-abled, LGBTQ athletes, activists and the lesbian, trans and the cis-gender lesbian community. Over 35% of Revry's audience is ...
|NCAA updates trans-related policies 2022-01-20|
- The NCAA has adopted a sport-by-sport approach for transgender athletes, bringing the organization in line with the U.S. and International Olympic Committees (IOC), POLITICO reported. Under the new guidelines, approved ...
|Nominations announced for 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards 2022-01-19|
-- From a press release - New York, NY - Wed., Jan. 19, 2022 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced the nominees for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards. RuPaul's Drag ...
|Human Rights Campaign Foundation releases new data on the LGBTQ+ wage gap 2022-01-19|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the educational arm of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released ...
|VIEWS Trans women passing the torch 2022-01-19|
- I am writing this letter to the editor to compliment Windy City Times on its recent article "Passing the torch: How generations of trans women approach activism, advocacy," by Max Lubbers. The article highlights how the ...
|Texas' anti-trans youth sports law goes into effect 2022-01-18|
- A new Texas law bars transgender student athletes from competing on school sports teams that align with their gender identity, Houston Public Media reported. House Bill 25 is one of several laws that went into effect ...
|Passing the torch: How generations of trans women approach activism, advocacy 2022-01-18|
- As part of an older generation of transgender women in Chicago (including icon Gloria Allen), advocate Channyn Lynne Parker knows the work will outlast her. That's why she thinks of advocacy like a marathon, not a ...
|Nat'l Black Justice Coalition celebrates openly LGBTQ+/SGL NAACP Image Award nominees 2022-01-18|
-- From a press release - The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) celebrates the historic number of openly Black lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer+, and same-gender loving (LGBTQ+/SGL) nominees for the NAACP Image Awards. The Image ...