WINDY CITY TIMES
||Campus Pride unveils 'Best of the Best' colleges, universities for LGBTQ+ students
This article shared 698 times since Wed Aug 24, 2022
Campus Pridea resource for LGBTQ+ leadership development, diversity inclusion and advocacy within higher educationannounced the annual Best of the Best Colleges and Universities for LGBTQ+ students in the United States, recognizing the work of 40 campuses in making their communities safer and more welcoming environments for students, faculty, and staff alike.
These campuses earned five out of five stars on the Campus Pride Index (CPI), a national benchmarking tool measuring LGBTQ-friendly policies, programs and practices. To earn the ranking, campuses receive percentage scores from 90 to 100 based on said policies, programs and practices. The methodology to determine this year's Best of the Best List was based on an overall score of 93 percent or higher.
Illinois schools making the cut included Northern Illinois University, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale and the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Many members of the NIU community and family brought us to this moment. We honor their legacies by cultivating a campus that they can continue to be proud of," said Molly B. Holmes, director of the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center at Northern Illinois University. "We honor Queer and Trans People of Color who have led and are leading now at NIU and beyond. Our current students motivate, inspire, and trust us to do our best for them. This achievement is because of them. We're thankful for senior leaders, faculty, and staff who continue to invest in LGBTQ+ lives and livelihood. This award marks an important moment for us and allows us to remind students, faculty, staff, and alumni of their value to NIU. We will continue to work hardto be the best of the best for NIU and beyond. Go Huskies!"
The 2022 list is at campuspride.org/BestoftheBest.
This article shared 698 times since Wed Aug 24, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LGBT poverty dropped to 17% during the COVID-19 pandemic 2023-02-07|
--From a press release - Economic well-being increased most among LGBT people of color and in households with children A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds a dramatic decrease in the number of LGBT and ...
|ELECTIONS 2023: 49th Ward challenger Belia Rodriguez on why running, differences from incumbent 2023-02-01|
- This is part of a series of interviews Windy City Times is running on LGBTQ+ candidates in the 2023 municipal elections taking place Feb. 28. Belia Rodriguez is a lifelong Chicagoan who attended Chicago Public Schools. ...
|PASSAGES Gene R. Matterer 2023-02-01|
- Gene R. Matterer died on Jan. 16, 2023 of cancer, according to his family. He was 82 years old. Matterer was born on Feb. 17, 1940. Following his school days in Crystal Lake, Illinois, he enlisted ...
|One in five older LGBT adults experienced poverty during the COVID-19 pandemic 2023-01-19|
--From a press release - A new report from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law found that during the COVID-19 pandemic LGBT adults aged 50 and older were more likely to have household incomes below the federal poverty level ...
|WORLD Conversion therapy, Indian school, trans boxers, anti-LGBTQ+ move 2022-12-31|
- South Florida Gay News noted that efforts to ban so-called conversion therapy gained a lot of traction around the world in 2022. For example, Canada and France introduced LGBTQ+-inclusive bills to ban conversion therapy for minors ...
|NATIONAL Indiana's 'Don't Say Gay,' drag show, Citi, new LGBTQ+ terms 2022-12-31|
- GOP lawmakers in Indiana have said that a proposal to restrict discussions of sexual orientation and gender identity in schools—modeled after Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill—will be drafted in the new year, according to INTO. The ...
|LGBTs nine times more likely than non-LGBTe to be victims of violent hate crimes 2022-12-21|
-- From a Williams Institute press release - About one out of 10 violent victimizations against LGBT people are hate crimes, according to a new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law. LGBT people are nine times more likely than non-LGBT ...
|NATIONAL Testifying in D.C., Brittney Griner, marriage law, school policies 2022-12-18|
- WARNING: This week's news contains graphic content. Survivors of the Club Q shooting in Colorado Springs that killed five people and injured approximately 20 others joined GLAAD and other advocates in providing testimony before the House ...
|Johnson among HRC Chicago's Nov. 12 honorees 2022-12-09|
- E. Patrick Johnson, dean of the School of Communication and Annenberg University Professor of Performance Studies at Northwestern University, was recognized by HRC Chicago at its 2022 gathering Nov. 12 at the Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park ...
|WORLD Church of England, World Cup news, court rulings, Justin Trudeau 2022-11-27|
- The Church of England is defending the scrutinized guidance for its 4,700 primary schools on LGBTQ+ issues, claiming that it doesn't allow students as young as 5 to self-identify as the opposite sex, The Christian Post ...
|NATIONAL $1M donation, church departures, Harvey Milk, abortions, Grindr 2022-11-27|
- In Ohio, Dayton-based insurance company CareSource is donating $1 million to United Church Homes to support the development of a senior living facility at the site of the former Longfellow School that will also aim at ...
|Chicago Teachers Union: Lightfoot's CPS team must remove Jones HS principal, address racially hostile environment 2022-11-04|
-- From a Chicago Teachers Union press release - CHICAGO, Nov. 3, 2022 The Chicago Teachers Union issued the following statement after learning of another incidence of intolerance at Jones College Prep High School, which has been dogged by complaints of antisemitism, racism and ...
|HRC Chicago to bestow annual Community Visibility Award, spotlight local partners 2022-11-04|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL, November 3, 2022 — E. Patrick Johnson, Dean of the School of Communication and Annenberg University Professor of Performance Studies and African American Studies at Northwestern University is to be recognized for distinguished service ...
|QPOC and transgender elders become focus of grad school student's master's thesis 2022-11-02|
- When we think about how LGBTQ+ age, helping people feel connected and "seen" is just one of the many ways a community can care for LGBTQ+ elders. It can contribute to their mental health as they ...
|School of the Art Institute auction on Nov. 1-14, auction party on Nov. 11 2022-11-01|
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is inviting all art collectors and enthusiasts to an online auction taking place Nov. 1-14 on Artsy.net, where a diverse group of SAIC alums and faculty will ...