||Cameroon refuses to release gays
This article shared 2321 times since Tue Aug 1, 2006
The Cameroonian government has refused to release nine men jailed on charges of homosexuality despite their April 21 acquittal, according to a press release from the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission. In addition, the government is forcing the men to stand trial again.
The men have been detained in Kondegui Prison in Yaoundé for almost a year. No witnesses were called and no proof was offered by the prosecution at the first trial, so the magistrate declared the men innocent of all charges. However, the prosecutor's office has refused to order their release and has said that the men will be retried.
— Rex Wockner
This article shared 2321 times since Tue Aug 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Celebrities voice support for LGBTQ+ students at religious schools 2022-03-16|
-- From a press release - Alan Cumming, Dominique Jackson, Michael Urie, and Margaret Cho are among the celebrities shining a light on how taxpayer dollars are being used to fund LGBTQ+ discrimination at faith-based schools and colleges. In a new PSA, ...
|Michigan Supreme Court hears LGBTQ-discrimination case 2022-03-03|
- On March 2, the Michigan Supreme Court heard a case to decide if the state's civil-rights law offers protections against discrimination for LGBTQ people in in employment, housing, education and public accommodations, Michigan Radio reported. Attorneys ...
|NATIONAL Legislation, Alabama liaisons, homicide case, dashboard, Buttigieg 2022-02-13|
- A bipartisan group of Arizona lawmakers that includes the Republican House speaker announced it was introducing legislation that would, for the first time, protect LGBTQ people from discrimination by businesses ...
|LGBTQ+ youth advocates call for action after increased bullying reports 2021-11-24|
- Officials from LGBTQ+-advocacy organizations Equality Illinois, Illinois Safe Schools Alliance, Rainbow Cafe and Youth Outlook announced a sharp increase in the number of bullying incidents directed against LGBTQ+ students across ...
|HHS acts to prevent discrimination, strengthen civil rights 2021-11-19|
--From a press release - Washington D.C. — Today, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) through the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) and Office for Civil Rights (OCR), announced actions to further ...
|"Safe Schools For All" to help students take action against bullying 2021-11-17|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON As schools and school districts across the country face hostile protests of LGBTQI+ inclusive education, students who are experiencing discrimination, bullying and harassment based on their sexual orientation ...
|More than a quarter of LGBT state, local employees face discrimination at work 2021-11-16|
--From a Williams Institute press release - More than one-quarter of LGBT state and local employees have experienced discrimination at work About half of LGBT people who work in education and law enforcement are not out to their supervisors Over 600,000 LGBT employees ...
|New study reveals disparities for LGBTQ+ seniors 2021-10-07|
- Although many LGBTQ+ seniors have lived through the arc of the LGBTQ-rights movement, they are nevertheless often forgotten in conversations about discrimination. A new study is shedding light on that omission. AARP Illinois and SAGE Research's ...
|Born Perfect, Enfranchisement release all-star video combating conversion therapy 2021-10-06|
--From a press release. Video below - SAN FRANCISCO, CA BOBBY'S BIG PROBLEM, produced by Born Perfect and Enfranchisement, was released today digitally, featuring a celebrity cast, including Patton Oswalt, D'Arcy Carden, Jasika Nicole, and RB Butcher. The video tells the stor ...
|LGBTQ blood donation discrimination assessed, PULSE shootings cited 2021-09-21|
--From a press release - Chicago, Ill. — Last week, Reps. Mike Quigley (IL-05), Val B. Demings (FL-10), Carolyn B. Maloney (NY-12), Adam B. Schiff (CA-28), Barbara Lee (CA-13), and Ritchie Torres (NY-15) received a ...
|One in ten LGBT workers experienced discrimination at work in the last year 2021-09-07|
- LGBT employees of color were more likely to report being denied jobs and verbal harassment A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds an estimated 46% of LGBT workers have experienced ...
|WORLD Anti-TGNC vote, #VeryGayRaptor, Brazilian governor, Scottish poll 2021-09-05|
- In Australia, the government voted down workplace protections for transgender, non-binary and intersex people, OutInPerth.com reported. The senate was considering the Sex Discrimination and Fair Work (Respect at Work) Amendment ...
|Ukraine president promises to fight for LGBTQ rights 2021-09-02|
- On Sept. 1, the president of Ukraine said his country will continue to fight anti-LGBTQ discrimination, The Washington Blade reported. "With U.S. support, Ukraine will continue to advance respect for human rights, civil liberties and fundamental ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation to prevent hair discrimination in schools 2021-08-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - On Aug. 13, Gov. JB Pritzker signed Senate Bill 817 into law, prohibiting schools from issuing policies on hairstyles historically associated with race or ethnicity. The legislation addresses injustices in dress code polices and ...
|Bill would expose schools that discriminate against LGBTQ students 2021-07-29|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Assistant Speaker Katherine Clark (MA-5) and Representatives Chris Pappas (NH-1), Sharice Davids (KS-3), and Mondaire Jones (NY-17) introduced the Exposing Discrimination in ...