WINDY CITY TIMES
||Caitlyn Jenner to headline Nov. 12 Chicago House luncheon
by Matt Simonette
This article shared 3298 times since Mon Aug 24, 2015
Chicago House and Social Services Center announced, on Aug. 24, that Caitlyn Jenner will give the keynote address at Chicago House's 2015 Speaker Series luncheon Nov. 12. Windy City Times reported the news two weeks ago, but the agency confirmed details Aug. 24.
Jenner, a former Olympian and a winner of the 2015 Arthur Ashe Courage Award, made headlines earlier this year when she revealed details of her gender transition, first in a 20/20 interview with Diane Sawyer, then in an extensive Vanity Fair interview. She has also been the focus of a reality TV program, I Am Cait.
According to a statement, this year's luncheon "will be especially effective at highlighting the marginalization and suffering disproportionately experienced by transgender individuals. Offending the values of fairness and equity, transgender men and women face enormous intertwining barriers to stability due to discrimination, societal and family rejection, and pervasive hostility."
Chicago House CEO Rev. Stan Sloan noted, "Together, we stand at crossroads of progress in HIV/AIDS and LGBTQ civil equality, but that progress is not being felt by those who are homeless and low income in those communities. With the help of its supporters, Chicago House looks forward to the continued celebration of the lives of individuals and families that it serves with dignity and respect."
Previous speakers in the Chicago House series have included former President Bill Clinton, designer Kenneth Cole, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, actress Laverne Cox and screenwriter Dustin Lance Black.
The luncheon takes place Nov. 12 at Hilton Chicago, 720 S. Michigan Ave., from 11:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. For more information, contact Tyler Lewis at 773-248-5200, ext. 304, or visit www.chicagohouse.org .
This article shared 3298 times since Mon Aug 24, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chicago Digital Equity Fund and Tech Desk launched 2022-08-15|
- GET Citiesan initiative focused on accelerating the leadership and influence of women, trans and non-binary people in techhas partnered with Gumbo Media and DePaul University's Women in Entrepreneurship Institute to ...
|Chicago trans rapper Lila Star releases new song 2022-08-14|
Video below - Chicago trans rapper Lila Star (most known for her guest vocals on Shea Coulee's 2017 single "Cocky") has released the music video for her latest single, "Sex Appeal," which may strike some as a tribute to ...
|WORLD Vietnam's pro-LGBTQ+ move, Grindr kidnappings, Taiwan event 2022-08-14|
Video below - Vietnam took a major step forward in the recognition of LGBTQ+ rights with the country's Ministry of Health stating that being gay, bisexual or transgender is not a disease and urging medical practitioners to end discrimination ...
|NATIONAL: Conn. candidate, trans study, D.C. attacks, Palm Springs Pride 2022-08-14|
- LGBTQ Victory Fund-endorsed candidate Erick Russell won the Democratic primary election for Connecticut state treasurer, according to an organizational press release. With this victory, he is on track to become the first out Black LGBTQ+ person ...
|Five Worth Finding: Movie short, 'Kaepernick,' ice cream and more 2022-08-14|
- —Fraud: Non-binary director Zen Zadih Pace's debut narrative short, Fraud—starring trans actress Dana Aliya Levinson (STARZ's American Gods) and Babak Tafti (Showtime's Super Pumped)—was selected for ...
|NATIONAL Okla. schools, Tenn. lawsuit, political items, Mich. library 2022-08-07|
Video below - Oklahoma public schools have started requiring students from kindergarten to college to complete "biological sex affidavits" if they want to compete in school sports, in accordance with a state law that took effect earlier this year, ...
|Angelica Ross to be first trans lead in Broadway's 'Chicago' 2022-08-04|
- Trans actors have made all sorts of impressions on Broadway, but former Chicagoan Angelica Ross has set a precedent. Next month, the leading role of fame-hungry murderess Roxie Hart will be played by Angelica Ross. Ross ...
|Judge: W. Va.'s Medicaid program must cover transgender care 2022-08-04|
- In West Virginia, U.S. District Judge Chuck Chambers ruled that the state's Medicaid program must provide coverage for gender-confirming care for transgender residents, ABC News reported. Chambers made the ruling on Aug. 2 in a lawsuit ...
|Attorneys general file brief in Indiana trans case 2022-08-04|
- A coalition of 22 attorneys general, including Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul and New York counterpart Letitia James, filed an amicus brief in the case of A.C. v. Metropolitan School District of Martinsville opposing the school ...
|HRC commends White House Monkeypox (MPV) Coordinator appointments; calls for greater federal response 2022-08-02|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, commended the Biden Administration for appointing Robert Fenton and ...
|Brave Space Alliance plans to raise salaries, urges partner agencies to follow suit 2022-08-01|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Aug.1, 2022 Brave Space Alliance, the South Side LGBTQ+ Center, announced a sweeping new plan to increase the organization's base salary to $43,000 for entry-level staff, equivalent to an hourly wage of $20.67/hr. ...
|Vallas speaks at event of group known for anti-LGBTQ+ views [UPDATE] 2022-08-01|
- Former Chicago Public Schools CEO and current mayoral candidate Paul Vallas spoke at a fundraiser for Awake Illinois—a group that has been criticized for its transphobic and homophobic rhetoric, The Chicago Reader reported. The group hosted ...
|WORLD Cuban referendum, Gay Games, Berlin attacks, Indian trans men 2022-07-31|
- Cuba's parliament announced that the country will hold a referendum on the legalization of same-sex marriage and surrogate parenthood, Deutsche Welle reported. The referendum on the new family law is scheduled to be held Sunday, Sept. ...
|Show about trans+ women models to debut Aug. 5 on Here TV 2022-07-29|
- The Here TV docuseries Road to the Runway—which focuses on trans+ women models—will debut Friday, Aug. 5. The series profiles the 20 hopefuls competing in this year's annual Slay Model search. Cameras follow the women to ...
|Trans artist to showcase woodworking on Aug. 13 2022-07-27|
- Trans artist J. Emmett (he/they), of J. Emmett Studios, will open his private studio for the first time to show his custom woodworking, along with works from local ceramicist Krista Tyner (she/her), of TynerWorks. The "A ...