WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 1510 times since Wed Aug 22, 2012
The Great American Trailer Park Musical, Kokandy Productions at Theater Wit, through Aug. 26. If you're looking for a prime opportunity to laugh at Southern white-trash stereotypes, this show is for you. However, the Chicago premiere of this 2005 off-Broadway musical is more notable for its great performances rather than the so-so script and score. SCM
A Steady Rain, Chicago Commercial Collective at Chicago Dramatists, through Sept. 2. Keith Huff's tight gritty cop-gone-wrong drama reaped considerable gains from its foray into the big time following its sellout Chicago premiere, but now it's back in the look-em-in-the-eyes-and-smell-the-sweat bunker where it all began. MSB
Three Sisters, Steppenwolf Theatre, through Aug. 26. Despite a few reservations, I find this production is handsome and heartfelt in a vigorous, clear new English version by Tracy Letts. A fine cast and director Anna D. Shapiro dispel the notion that "nothing happens" in Chekhov. JA
The Vortex, Dead Writers Theatre Collective at Greenhouse Theater Center, through Aug. 26. The melodramatic conclusion may not be as shocking as it was in 1924, but the folks of Dead Writers Theatre Collective create a ravishing production of gay playwright Noel Coward's first smash hit. SCM
By Abarbanel, Barnidge
This article shared 1510 times since Wed Aug 22, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER "The world keeps spinnin' 'round and 'round" for Andrew Levitt in Hairspray 2022-01-28|
- "Welcome to the '60s," where psychedelic fashions ruled and mini-skirts were everywhere. Soul music gained a strong voice while segregation separated the dance floors. John Waters' original 1988 film Hairspray displayed drag diva Divine as mother ...
|THEATER August Wilson's 'Gem of the Ocean' at Goodman through Feb. 27 2022-01-28|
- Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St., is staging a major revival of August Wilson's Gem of the Ocean—nearlytwo decades after the play premiered on the same stage. It's directed by longtime resident director Chuck Smith, who ...
|DANCE Alvin Ailey company at Auditorium Theatre on March 2-6 2022-01-28|
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater returns to stages on a coast-to-coast national tour starting Jan. 28 in Philadelphia; kicking off Black History Month at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. on Feb. 1; and traveling to ...
|Victory Gardens presents reading of 'exercise your demons,' a play on trauma of a gay male body 2022-01-26|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Victory Gardens Theater presents the Ignite Chicago reading of exercise your demons: a play on the trauma of a gay male body written by Gage Tarlton and directed by Ryan Dobrin, with movement ...
|THEATER REVIEW The Moors 2022-01-26|
- Title: The Moors. Playwright: Jen Silverman At: A Red Orchid Theatre, 1531 N. Wells St. Tickets: $30-$40; ARedOrchidTheatre.org. Runs through: Feb. 27 "I've been employed in many houses," declares newly hired Emily, following her arrival at ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions presenting 'The Drag Seed' 2022-01-24|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (January 24, 2022) — Hell in a Handbag Productions is pleased to continue its 20th anniversary season with a revival of its popular comedy The Drag Seed, an unauthorized parody of the 1956 psychological horror-thriller ...
|PASSAGES Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate Murray McKay 2022-01-20|
- Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate, curator, designer and LGBTQ activist Edward Murray McKay died Jan. 4 of cancer. He was 53. McKay was born Oct. 2, 1968, in Brussels, Belgium. The family moved to Toronto ...
|THEATER Red Orchid's 'The Moors' running through Feb. 27 2022-01-15|
- A Red Orchid Theatre is running Jen Silverman's The Moors, directed by Artistic Director and Ensemble Member Kirsten Fitzgerald, through Feb. 27 at A Red Orchid Theatre, 1531 N. Wells St. The plot is as follows: ...
|THEATER About Face announces cast of queer-themed 'Laced' 2022-01-14|
- About Face Theatre begins its 27th season with the world premiere of Samantha Mueller's drama Laced, running March 17-April 16 at the Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Set in the aftermath of the vandalism of ...
|Black Ensemble Theatre announces 2022 Season of Excellence: The Season of Healings 2022-01-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago, IL—Black Ensemble Theater's Founder and CEO Jackie Taylor announces its 2022 Season of Excellence: The Season of Healings. The 2022 Season includes four World Premiere musicals showcasing the power ...
|THEATER DuSable, puppet company to run Toni Morrison's 'The Bluest Eye' 2022-01-13|
- The DuSable Museum of African American History is partnering with the 4th Chicago International Puppet Theater Festival to present a production of The Bluest Eye, based on Toni Morrison's 1970 groundbreaking coming-of-age novel. The production will ...
|THEATER 'This Is Only a Test' Feb. 11-March 12 2022-01-12|
- Broken Nose Theatre, a pay-what-you-can theater company, is welcoming back live audiences this winter with the world premiere of Eric Reyes Loo's drama This Is Only a Test, directed by Toma Tavares Langston. The production will ...
|THEATER Queer-themed 'Queen of the Night' to run Jan. 29-March 13 2022-01-11|
- Victory Gardens Theater is slated to open its 2021-22 Mainstage Season with Queen of the Night, written by travis tate and directed by Victory Gardens Artistic Director Ken-Matt Martin. Queen of the Night features Terry Guest ...
|THEATER 'Mary Rose' running through Feb. 12 2022-01-10|
- Black Button Eyes (BBE) Productions is concluding its 2021-22 season with the world-premiere musical Mary Rose, featuring book and lyrics by Producing Artistic Director Ed Rutherford, music and lyrics by Jeff Bouthiette, direction by Ed Rutherford ...
|THEATER 'Queens of Infinite Space' canceled because of COVID 2022-01-07|
- With the increase in COVID-19 cases in Chicago and beyond, Proboscis Theatre has decided to cancel the performances of The Queens of Infinite Space set to run at Epiphany Center for Arts, 201 S. Ashland Ave., ...