This article shared 385 times since Wed May 2, 2018
South Pacific, Drury Lane Oakbrook, through June 17. Superior musical values and a stellar cast lift this new production beyond "old warhorse" status. Regrettably, the messages of South Pacific about race and bullies remain as pertinent today as ever. JA
How I Learned to Drive, The Artistic Home, extended through May 20. He plays a grown man in love with his teenage niece, but John Mossman has been nominated for a Jeff and this is your chance to see why. MSB
Bette Davis Ain't For Sissies, Velvet Fox Productions at the Athenaeum, May 24-June 17. Fasten your seat belts! Jessica Sherr's solo show is back, but just because it's staying longer this time doesn't mean you shouldn't reserve your tickets now. MSB
The Doppelganger ( an international farce ), Steppenwolf Downstairs Theatre, through June 2. Matthew-Lee Erlbach's rapid-fire farce has raucous lightning-fast laughsor so it is until the final moments, when comedy takes a hairpin veer into something else entirely. CES
By Abarbanel, Barnidge
This article shared 385 times since Wed May 2, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER 'A Portrait of My Mother' to start streaming May 9
- Jarrott Productions will present the world premiere of A Portrait of My Mother, written and performed by Carlo Lorenzo Garcia and directed by David R. Jarrott. The autobiographical tribute to Garcia's mother, Maria, begins streaming on ...
|Mercury Theater to reopen; new artistic director named
- Mercury Theater Chicago, 3745 N. Southport Ave., has announced its reopeningalong with new leadership. New Artistic Director Christopher Chase Carter returns to the theater where he collaborated on the hit productions of Little Shop of Horrors ...
|Story of Chicagoan and Broadway influencer Sister Rosetta Tharpe on to Broadway 2021-04-06|
--From a press release - NEW YORK (April 4, 2021) Prolific writer and Chicago native Cheryl L. West (FANNIE: The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer; Jar the Floor), will be joined on the creative team of SHOUT SISTER ...
|THEATER 'Security,' with Eric Roberts, running April 10-May 2
- Kane Repertory Theatre Artistic Director Daniil Krimer and Managing Director Avery Bowne announced the world-premiere online production of Hammaad Chaudry's Security, as part of the company's new Multiplatform Commission. Security ...
|THEATER 'The Summer of Daisy Fay' out April 5
- New American Folk Theatre (NAFT) is presenting The Summer of Daisy Faythe inaugural production of NAFT's "season of audio theater" that features new recordings of three of the company's past productions. The one-woman show starring N ...
|Submissions from Black musical-theater writers sought for album
- Broadway Records and Black Theatre Coalition (BTC) announced today the call for submissions for Black Writers Amplified, a new album consisting entirely of new works by Black musical-theater writers to be released in 2021. Black Writers ...
|Victory Gardens names artists for Black Monologues, part of Black Beauty Fest 2021-03-25|
--From a Victory Gardens Theater press release - Chicago, IL— Victory Gardens Theater, in partnership with The Black Women's Expo and Black Owned Chicago, presents the 5th Edition of the Black Beauty Festival (BBF), April 10-11, 2021. Offered virtually for the first time, Black ...
|Next virtual OUTspoken on April 6
- The next OUTspoken storytelling event will take place Tuesday, April 6, starting at 7 p.m., on Zoom. Speakers will include a writer/storyteller, a teacher, a professional photographer and a caregiver. Joy Wright is a nominated Best-of-the-Net ...
|Steppenwolf to present reading of queer Muslim play on March 28
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company's new play-development initiative, SCOUT, will present A Virtual Reading of Mosque4Mosque, by Omer Abbas Salem, on Sunday, March 28, at 2 p.m. The free reading follows a 30-hour workshop process directed by Arti ...
|SHOWBIZ 'The World to Come' film, Dan Reynolds, Broadway, Green Lantern 2021-03-07|
- The lesbian-themed film The World to Come is available to buy or rent, a press release noted. In this 19th-century romance (from Bleeker Street) that's set in the Northeast, Abigail (played by Katherine Waterston), a farmer's ...
|THEATER Global, Grindr-based 'Borders' to run Feb. 25-27
- Dirty Laundry Theatre's virtual experience Borders, directed by Chicago resident Michael R. Piazza, will feature three live shows on Feb. 25-27. Written by Nimrod Danishman and directed by Piazza, Borders tells the story of two gay ...
|'You For Me For You' benefit on Feb. 28
- Sideshow Theatre Company will launch its 2021 season with a one-night-only benefit screening of its 2018 hit You For Me For You, written by Mia Chung and directed by ensemble member Elly Green. The archival recording ...
|Court Theatre announces 2021 Southside Youth Fest, platform for teens 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces Court's 2021 Southside Youth Fest, inviting South Side teens to submit original digi ...
|Court Theatre premieres spotlight podcast highlighting Black writers 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces the online premiere of its Spotlight Podcast. A key component of Court's community ...
|Next 'OUTspoken' event March 2
- The next session of OUTspokena monthly storytelling event that centers on tales of fun and fortune from local LGBTQ+ men and women and their close friendswill take place Tuesday, March 2, at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...