WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 2351 times since Wed Apr 2, 2014
Ghost Bike, Buzz22 Chicago at Greenhouse Theater Center, through April 6. The company that brought us She Kills Monsters in 2012 takes us on a bicycle ride through a multicultural Realm of the Dead with a grief-stricken teenager whose anger at the loss of her best friend fuels her mission to defy the Grim Reaper. MSB
King Hedley II, Congo Square Theatre Company at Athenaeum Theatre, through April 6. In the Athenaeum's intimate space, August Wilson's florid prose lends a gritty urban tale of remorse and nemesis all the grandeur of Wagnerian opera. MSB
Golden Boy, Griffin Theatre @ Theater Wit, through April 6. Joe Bonaparte, a young man on the make, swaps his violin for boxing gloves in a devil's bargain that costs him his soul. It's a sterling staging of Clifford Odets' impassioned Depressionera drama with fiery Nate Santana as Joe. JA
Venus in Fur, Goodman Theatre, through April 13. If size matters to you, see David Ives' acclaimed Broadway comedy that playfully explores male-female power dynamics and sadomachoism in director Joanie Schultz's large-scale production before the play starts popping up in every other storefront theater. SCM
By Abarbanel, Barnidge and Morgan
This article shared 2351 times since Wed Apr 2, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER 'The Last Pair of Earlies' running Oct. 27-Dec. 12 at Raven 2021-09-28|
- Raven Theatre, Chicago's newest Equity-affiliated theatre, is welcoming back audiences this fall with the world premiere of Joshua Allen's The Last Pair of Earlies, directed by Wardell Julius Clark. This new dramawhich follows the hardships ...
|Next OUTspoken 'Storytelling Night' Oct. 5 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - Six Chicagoans will tell compelling stories with a LGBTQ+ perspective when another OUTspoken "Storytelling Night" takes place Tuesday, Oct. 5, starting at 7 p.m., at Sidetrack Bar, 3349 N. Halsted St. All attendees must be masked ...
|THEATER 'Moulin Rouge!,' gay play 'The Inheritance' win top Tonys 2021-09-27|
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical was the runaway winner at the Tony Awards on Sept. 26, snagging 10 awards. Among its honors were Best Musical, Best Performance By an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical ...
|THEATER REVIEW The Golden Girls: The Lost Episodes, Volume 5-SEX! 2021-09-24|
- Title: The Golden Girls: The Lost Episodes, Volume 5—SEX! Playwright: David Cerda At: Hell In a Handbag Productions at the Leather Archives and Museum. Tickets: $27-$45. Runs through: HandbagProductions.org It could almost be the premise for ...
|THEATER Ex-'Jagged Little Pill' performers accuse production of anti-TGNC behavior 2021-09-24|
- Two former cast members of Broadway's Jagged Little Pillincluding Tony-nominated featured actress Celia Rose Goodingreleased statements accusing the production of committing "harm to the trans and non-binary community, both onstage ...
|TimeLine Theatre Company announces 25th Anniversary Season 2021-09-24|
Video below--From a press release - Chicago, IL, September 24, 2021 TimeLine Theatre Company, acclaimed for presenting plays that explore today's social and political issues through the lens of the past, is thrilled to announce that it will celebrate its 25th ...
|'Firebird' opens Reeling Chicago LGBTQ+ Internat'l Film Fest tonight 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Illinois — Tonight, the 39th annual Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival invites audiences to enjoy an in-person pre-party and theater screening of 'Firebird' for Opening Night at the Music Box Theater. Director P ...
|THEATER Steppenwolf's 'Bug' running Nov. 11-Dec. 12 2021-09-22|
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company will welcome audiences back for in-person performances for the first time in 20 months with its acclaimed revival of Bug by ensemble member Tracy Letts, in the Downstairs Theater on Nov. 11-Dec. 12. ...
|THEATER 'Hot Pink, or Ready to Blow' available for download 2021-09-21|
- It's Pompeii meets Heathers as New American Folk Theatre continues its "season of audio theatre" with a new studio recording of its 2018 hit comedy Hot Pink, or Ready to Blow. The production was written by ...
|Congo Square Theatre Co. announces new Artistic Director Ericka Ratcliff 2021-09-20|
- Congo Square Theatre Company, an African American theater company, announced that longtime company member Ericka Ratcliff will serve as its new artistic director, effective immediately. Ratcliff becomes only the fourth ...
|THEATER Steppenwolf presenting three Tracy Letts virtual works Sept. 29-Oct. 24 2021-09-18|
- Leading up to ensemble member Tracy Letts' production Bug returning this November to Steppenwolf's Downstairs Theater, the company is bringing audiences a sampler of the playwright's voice to their homes with a trio of new virtual ...
|Frank Ferrante to return as 'Groucho' for one night 2021-09-15|
- Actor/director Frank Ferrante returns to his internationally heralded stage performance for one night only in "An Evening With Groucho" on Tuesday, Oct. 26, at the Spiegeltent ZaZou, on the 14th floor of the Cambria Hotel Chicago ...
|THEATER Out actor Dan Butler to be in 'When Harry Met Rehab' 2021-09-15|
- Don Clark, a Chicago-based film/theater producer as well as co-owner of the Chicago Magic Lounge, will present the world premiere of When Harry Met Rehaba comedy that takes sobriety seriously and is based loosely on the ...
|Students urged to apply for Musical Theatre Awards 2021-09-14|
- Broadway in Chicago is inviting high schools across Illinois to participate in the 11th Annual Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards. These awards celebrate excellence in high school theater throughout the state. Beginning Thursday, Sept. 16, ...
|First Floor Theater announces 2021-22 season 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (Sept. 13, 2021) — First Floor Theater is excited to announce their ninth live-production season, featuring one world premiere and one Chicago premiere, along with a second round of The Blueprint Commission, it' new ...