This article shared 1914 times since Wed Sep 18, 2013
The Book of Mormon, Bank of America Theatre, through Oct. 6. Time is running out to catch this wildly acclaimed hit 2011 Broadway musical that not only takes pot-shots at some of the weirder aspects of Mormonism, but also celebrates the importance of faith to rally people behind a larger cause. SCM.
Double Trouble, Porchlight Music Theatre at Stage 773, through Oct. 6. The two Walton brothers' homage to the MGM musicals of the 1930s delivers so much razzle-dazzle, we barely notice that all the roles are played by the likewise fraternal duo of Adrian and Alexander Aguilar. MSB
Hank Williams: Lonesome Highway, American Blues Theater at Greenhouse Theater, through Oct. 6. Before it became "country" music, it was Southern white blues and, over his tragically short life, Hank Williams brought it up from its roots to share it with America. MSB
Next to Normal, Drury Lane Theatre, Oakbrook Terrace, through Oct. 6. This potent musical drama takes an unsentimental look at mental illness and its impact on a seemingly-normal suburban family. An eclectic easy-rock score and dazzling performances sell the unexpected subject matter. JA
By Abarbanel, Barnidge
This article shared 1914 times since Wed Sep 18, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER 'A Portrait of My Mother' to start streaming May 9
- Jarrott Productions will present the world premiere of A Portrait of My Mother, written and performed by Carlo Lorenzo Garcia and directed by David R. Jarrott. The autobiographical tribute to Garcia's mother, Maria, begins streaming on ...
|Mercury Theater to reopen; new artistic director named
- Mercury Theater Chicago, 3745 N. Southport Ave., has announced its reopeningalong with new leadership. New Artistic Director Christopher Chase Carter returns to the theater where he collaborated on the hit productions of Little Shop of Horrors ...
|Story of Chicagoan and Broadway influencer Sister Rosetta Tharpe on to Broadway 2021-04-06|
--From a press release - NEW YORK (April 4, 2021) Prolific writer and Chicago native Cheryl L. West (FANNIE: The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer; Jar the Floor), will be joined on the creative team of SHOUT SISTER ...
|THEATER 'Security,' with Eric Roberts, running April 10-May 2
- Kane Repertory Theatre Artistic Director Daniil Krimer and Managing Director Avery Bowne announced the world-premiere online production of Hammaad Chaudry's Security, as part of the company's new Multiplatform Commission. Security ...
|THEATER 'The Summer of Daisy Fay' out April 5
- New American Folk Theatre (NAFT) is presenting The Summer of Daisy Faythe inaugural production of NAFT's "season of audio theater" that features new recordings of three of the company's past productions. The one-woman show starring N ...
|Submissions from Black musical-theater writers sought for album
- Broadway Records and Black Theatre Coalition (BTC) announced today the call for submissions for Black Writers Amplified, a new album consisting entirely of new works by Black musical-theater writers to be released in 2021. Black Writers ...
|Victory Gardens names artists for Black Monologues, part of Black Beauty Fest 2021-03-25|
--From a Victory Gardens Theater press release - Chicago, IL— Victory Gardens Theater, in partnership with The Black Women's Expo and Black Owned Chicago, presents the 5th Edition of the Black Beauty Festival (BBF), April 10-11, 2021. Offered virtually for the first time, Black ...
|Next virtual OUTspoken on April 6
- The next OUTspoken storytelling event will take place Tuesday, April 6, starting at 7 p.m., on Zoom. Speakers will include a writer/storyteller, a teacher, a professional photographer and a caregiver. Joy Wright is a nominated Best-of-the-Net ...
|Steppenwolf to present reading of queer Muslim play on March 28
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company's new play-development initiative, SCOUT, will present A Virtual Reading of Mosque4Mosque, by Omer Abbas Salem, on Sunday, March 28, at 2 p.m. The free reading follows a 30-hour workshop process directed by Arti ...
|SHOWBIZ 'The World to Come' film, Dan Reynolds, Broadway, Green Lantern 2021-03-07|
- The lesbian-themed film The World to Come is available to buy or rent, a press release noted. In this 19th-century romance (from Bleeker Street) that's set in the Northeast, Abigail (played by Katherine Waterston), a farmer's ...
|THEATER Global, Grindr-based 'Borders' to run Feb. 25-27
- Dirty Laundry Theatre's virtual experience Borders, directed by Chicago resident Michael R. Piazza, will feature three live shows on Feb. 25-27. Written by Nimrod Danishman and directed by Piazza, Borders tells the story of two gay ...
|'You For Me For You' benefit on Feb. 28
- Sideshow Theatre Company will launch its 2021 season with a one-night-only benefit screening of its 2018 hit You For Me For You, written by Mia Chung and directed by ensemble member Elly Green. The archival recording ...
|Court Theatre announces 2021 Southside Youth Fest, platform for teens 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces Court's 2021 Southside Youth Fest, inviting South Side teens to submit original digi ...
|Court Theatre premieres spotlight podcast highlighting Black writers 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces the online premiere of its Spotlight Podcast. A key component of Court's community ...
|Next 'OUTspoken' event March 2
- The next session of OUTspokena monthly storytelling event that centers on tales of fun and fortune from local LGBTQ+ men and women and their close friendswill take place Tuesday, March 2, at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...