WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 1624 times since Wed Nov 21, 2012
The Magic Parlour, The House Theatre of Chicago at Palmer House Hilton, open run. Youthful master magician Dennis Watkins offers an intimate hour of jaw-dropping sleight-of-hand magic and mind-reading in an oak-paneled room. His clever repartee adds to the fun. The cost is $75 with drinks; Fri.-Sat. only, 10:30 p.m. JA
The Odd Couple, Northlight Theatre, through Dec. 9. Cheers star George Wendt had to drop out due to medical reasons, but his understudy, Marc Grapey, and co-star Tim Kazurinsky lead a top-notch cast who all show why this classic Neil Simon comedy has endured through the decades. SCM
The Opponent, A Red Orchid Theatre, through Dec. 2. You can smell the sweat and testosterone in the gym where a boxer with nothing but his future and a trainer with nothing but his past go head-to-head, toe-to-toe and glove-to-glove over broken dreams. MSB
Superior Donuts, Mary-Arrchie Theatre Company at Royal George Theatre, through Nov. 25. Tracy Letts' most optimistic play has finally found the perfect location for its celebration of the America Dream as symbolized by a humble doughnut in an economically-changing Uptown.
By Abarbanel, Barnidge
This article shared 1624 times since Wed Nov 21, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Stage Left Theatre names new artistic director 2021-10-21|
- Stage Left Theatre announced Bobbi Masters as its new artistic director. Masters has directed plays at theaters around the nation such as No Strings Theatre Company in Las Cruces, New Mexico (The Bald Soprano); and Kitchen ...
|THEATER E. Faye Butler to star in 'Fannie' Oct. 25-Nov. 14 2021-10-21|
- Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St., will host the run of Cheryl L. West's Fannie (The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer), which will run Oct. 25-Nov. 14. E. Faye Butler stars as U.S. civil-rights ...
|Hubbard Street Dance back on the stage with 'RE/TURN' 2021-10-21|
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC) will present Fall Series: RE/TURN to herald its return to the stage at the Harris Theater, 205 E. Randolph St. The program will feature new premieres as well as audience favorites ...
|Lyric Opera presenting 'Florencia en el Amazonas' Nov. 13-28 2021-10-21|
- During Nov. 13-28, Lyric Opera of Chicago will run the company premiere of Florencia en el Amazonasthe first Spanish-language work to be presented as part of Lyric's mainstage opera season. There will be evening performances on ...
|Theater review: This Wide Night 2021-10-17|
- Title: This Wide Night. Playwright: Chloe Moss At: Shattered Globe Theatre/Interrobang Theatre Project at Theater Wit, 1229 W. Belmont Ave. Tickets: $25-$45; SGTheatre.org. Runs through: Nov. 13 The landlord calls ...
|MUSICALS 'Pretty Woman' tickets go on sale Oct. 15 2021-10-15|
- After a pre-Broadway run in Chicago and being on Broadway, Pretty Woman: The Musical, based on one of Hollywood's most beloved romantic stories of all time, returns to Chicago. The production will run at the CIBC ...
|THEATER Broken Nose presenting looter drama 'Primer' Nov. 15-Dec. 5 2021-10-15|
- Broken Nose Theatre, a pay-what-you-can theater company, will run the world premiere audio drama Primer, described in a release as "a deeply honest look at the prioritization of property over people. Ensemble member Spenser Davis wrote ...
|THEATER 'A Rocky Horror Picture Party' at The Den on Oct. 30-31 2021-10-12|
- Haven is presenting Science Fiction / Double Feature: A Rocky Horror Picture Partyan immersive Halloween experience that brings to life in vivid technicolor the world of the cult-classic filmdirected by ...
|THEATER Rivendell's '8:46' to run Oct. 21-23, stream Nov. 1 2021-10-12|
- Rivendell Theatre Ensemble (RTE)Chicago's only Equity theater dedicated to producing new work with women at the coreannounced 8:46 (Breathing Room), a new play festival of four commissioned plays each eight ...
|COMEDY Janeane Garofalo at The Den Theatre on Nov. 19-20 2021-10-12|
- The Den Theatre will present comedian Janeane Garofalo for four performances on Nov. 19-20 (at 7 and 9:30 p.m. each night) on The Heath Mainstage, 1331 N. Milwaukee Ave. Garofalo has had many memorable and critically ...
|DRAG Utica Queen finds a home in Chicago 2021-10-12|
- Ethan Mundt rose to fame as Utica Queen in season 13 of the Emmy-winning show RuPaul's Drag Race. Ultimately placing sixth in the competition, this young, gay 25-year-old showed creativity and personality. Mundt's latest project, Homecoming ...
|THEATER 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' running through Nov. 6 2021-10-12|
- Black Button Eyes Productions is welcoming back live audiences with the popular internet musical Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog—an authorized fan production to benefit the Chicago charity Season of Concern—playing through ...
|THEATER 'I'm Not A Comedian… I'm Lenny Bruce' returns Nov. 5 2021-10-08|
- Theatre 68 and the Venus Cabaret Theater, 3745 N. Southport Ave., announced the return of the critically acclaimed production, I'm Not A Comedian… I'm Lenny Bruce, to Chicago beginning Friday, Nov. 5. Ronnie Marmo wrote and ...
|THEATER REVIEW Songs for Nobodies 2021-10-07|
- Title: Songs for Nobodies. Playwright: Joanna Murray-Smith At: Northlight Theatre at the North Shore Center for the Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd. Tickets: $30-$89. Runs through: Sunday, Oct. 31 You won't find their names in the history ...
|Chicago Inclusion Project offers anti-racism workshops for arts organizations 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL—The staff of The Chicago Inclusion Project is excited to launch a new workshop and continuum developed by staff members Jessica Vann and Arti Ishak. The workshop, entitled "Being Anti-Racist: An Active Action," is designed ...
|Legacy Walk plaques added for Pauli Murray, Matthew Shepard|
|Chicago Sky win their first WNBA championship|
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula'|
|BOOKS Twelfth (and final) 'Boystown' cover revealed|
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV|