WINDY CITY TIMES
||COVID Illinois sets another case record
This article shared 1676 times since Wed Dec 29, 2021
For the first time during the pandemic, the daily average number of new statewide COVID-19 cases exceeded 16,000and, late last week, Chicago had the highest infection rate in Illinois, according to The Chicago Tribune.
The surge has prompted officials to caution the public about participating in large New Year's Eve gatherings. In addition, the number of COVID-related hospitalizations has risen dramatically.
The daily average of new cases reached 16,040 through Dec. 28, largely due to a record number of infections for a single day on Christmas Eve21,131and 20,804 more cases recorded the same day, per the Illinois Department of Public Health.
The 96 COVID-19 deaths on Dec. 28 were the most recorded in Illinois this month, the statistics also show. However, they are far from daily records since the start of the pandemic in March 2020a sign vaccines have been effective at preventing fatal cases.
This article shared 1676 times since Wed Dec 29, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Montreal Pride Parade is canceled 2022-08-08|
- Citing security concerns, the organizers of the Fierte Montreal Pride Parade abruptly canceled the Aug. 7 event at the last minute, The Washington Blade reported. The other events scheduled at the Esplanade of the Olympic ParkT-Dance ...
|CDPH, community partners provide monkeypox update as Market Days nears 2022-08-05|
- With the event known as Northalsted Market Days happening Aug. 6-7—and with tens of thousands of people expected to attend—the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) and community partners held a press conference Aug. 4 about ...
|Sinema plans to sign on Senate Democrats' climate, health and tax bill 2022-08-05|
- U.S. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Arizona) announced Aug. 4 that she will "move forward" with Democrats' massive climate, prescription drug and spending bill, after fellow party members appeared to reach an agreement about her concerns with the ...
| Cook County Commissioner Morrison calls for hearing to address monkeypox outbreak 2022-08-04|
-- From a press release - SCHAUMBURG, Ill. — Aug, 4, 2022 —Cook County Commissioner Kevin Morrison (District 15) has introduced a resolution calling for a public hearing in the Cook County Health and Hospitals Committee that will convene Monday, Aug. 8, ...
|Judge: W. Va.'s Medicaid program must cover transgender care 2022-08-04|
- In West Virginia, U.S. District Judge Chuck Chambers ruled that the state's Medicaid program must provide coverage for gender-confirming care for transgender residents, ABC News reported. Chambers made the ruling on Aug. 2 in a lawsuit ...
|The Chicago Sky launch The Net: A Mental Health Initiative 2022-08-03|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Aug. 3, 2022)—As issues of mental health make headlines in sport—and women's sports in particular—the WNBA championship team Chicago Sky launched "The Net," (A Network of Mental Health Support in ...
|HRC commends White House Monkeypox (MPV) Coordinator appointments; calls for greater federal response 2022-08-02|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, commended the Biden Administration for appointing Robert Fenton and ...
|Homeless-services agency Care for Friends temporarily moves to Edgewater 2022-08-02|
- Care for Friends, a Chicago-based homeless-services program, has temporarily moved to Edgewater after being in Lincoln Park for 54 years, according to a press release. The program is now based at the Church of the Atonement, ...
|California governor declares monkeypox emergency 2022-08-02|
- Following New York and Illinois, California Gov. Gavin Newsom has declared a monkeypox emergency in his state. "California is working urgently across all levels of government to slow the spread of monkeypox, leveraging our robust testing, ...
|Pritzker issues monkeypox public-health emergency declaration 2022-08-02|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO—Gov. JB Pritzker issued a proclamation declaring the monkeypox virus a public health emergency and declaring the state of Illinois a disaster area regarding the disease. The declaration, which applies to the entire state, will allow ...
|New York, San Francisco issue monkeypox declarations 2022-07-29|
- Public health agencies for New York state and San Francisco issued monkeypox declarations July 28 to try to cope with the continued spread of the virus, NBC News reported. "This declaration means that local health departments ...
|CORE launches COVID-19 vaccination clinics for families in the Chicago area 2022-07-28|
-- From a press release - In partnership with the City of Chicago, CORE (Community Organized Relief Effort) has opened COVID-19 vaccination clinics for families, including those with children under five. Per CDC guidelines, the vaccine is now available for children 6 ...
|Chicago monkeypox count exceeds 300 2022-07-28|
- The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) announced July 27 that 326 Chicagoans have tested positive for the monkeypox virus (MPV) as the department and city continue outreach efforts in response to the outbreak. The most ...
|NCLR applauds Biden administration's restoration of key civil rights protections in health care regulations 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — The National Center for Lesbian Rights applauds today's issuance of new proposed federal regulations that will restore essential nondiscrimination protections in health care, as required by federal ...
|Quigley reiterates call for Monkeypox Public Health Emergency 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - Kyiv, Ukraine — U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice Chair of the LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus, a member of the House Appropriations Committee, and Chair of the Subcommittee on Financial Services ...