||Buffalo Grove LGBTQ+ teen named one of HRC's ambassadors
This article shared 1436 times since Wed Dec 9, 2020
The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) announced that Buffalo Grove teen Molly Pinta (she/her)a 14-year-old who identifies as bisexualhas been named a member of the 2021 class of HRC Foundation Youth Ambassadors, joining nine other LGBTQ advocates across the country.
HRC Foundation Youth Ambassadors serve two-year terms, and this is Pinta's second year.
"This program is designed to amplify the important voices of teens and young adults, and engage them in helping HRC Foundation improve the lives of LGBTQ youth at home, at school, at work and beyond," said HRC Foundation Director of the Youth Well-Being Program and the Time to THRIVE Conference Dr. Vincent Pompei, in a statement. "These youth have real and meaningful contributions to make to HRC's work and to their communities."
As Youth Ambassadors, these LGBTQ advocates will represent the HRC Foundation, sharing their experiences to raise awareness about the most pressing issues facing LGBTQ youth today. They will also lend their voices to HRC Foundation programs that support LGBTQ youth, including All Children-All Families, Youth Well-Being, Welcoming Schools and HRC's eighth annual Time to THRIVE conference in February.
With the help of her parents, Pinta founded The Pinta Pride Project, a nonprofit that aims to bring acceptance and awareness to the LGBTQ community in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. The organization threw Buffalo Grove's inaugural Pride parade, which featured more than 80 groups and thousands of attendees.
Windy City Times profiled Pinta in 2018; that article is at www.windycitytimes.com/lgbt/Buffalo-Grove-girl-plans-for-2019-Pride-Parade/63632.html .
This article shared 1436 times since Wed Dec 9, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Students speak out after Pride flag removal at Indiana school
- Students spoke out April 12 against the removal of Pride flags at a middle school in northwest Indiana, according to CBS Chicago. According to ABC7Chicago.com, a Black Lives Matter poster was also removed. LGBTQ students addressed ...
|More than 45,000 trans youth put at risk of losing access to gender-affirming care 2021-04-13|
--From a Williams Institute press release - An estimated 45,100 transgender youth ages 13 and older in the U.S. are at risk of being denied gender-affirming medical care due to proposed and enacted state bans, according to the Williams Institute at UCLA School ...
|Trans, non-binary youth influencers launch book collection with "A Kids Book About" 2021-04-12|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - April 12, 2021 - While many teens took e-learning as an opportunity to level-up their gaming skills, a group of young people chose instead to write a collection of books about their lives. ...
|Study: 30% of young LGBQ people have attempted suicide in their lifetimes
--From a press release - A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds younger LGBQ adults experience greater psychological distress and suicidal behavior than older LGBQ people. Researchers examined a representative sample of LGBQ people in ...
|Arkansas legislature overrides governor on anti-trans measure
- On April 6, the Arkansas state legislature voted to override a veto by Gov. Asa Hutchinson on a bill that would ban gender-affirming treatments for transgender youths in the state, ABC News reported. The "Save Adolescents ...
|LGBTQ students sue U.S. Department of Education
- More than 30 LGBTQ students are suing the U.S. Department of Education in a class-action lawsuit filed March 29, NBC News reported. The students allege that they dealt with discrimination at 25 federally funded Christian colleges ...
|New Equality Map: Bans on transgender youth participation in sports 2021-03-29|
- (March 29, 2021) — Across the country, state legislatures have introduced bills that would ban transgender youth from participating in K-12 school sports, and in some cases in college as well. This year alone, at least ...
|POETRY E'mon Lauren Black talks queerness,
podcast, Black mobility 2021-03-11|
- Even though she's only in her early 20s, E'mon Lauren Black has accomplished so much. Not only was Black named Chicago's first youth poet laureate in 2016 (an honor from Young Chicago Authors, in partnership with ...
LGBTQ+ Intergenerational Dialogue Project connects youth, elders in conversation 2021-03-10|
- A chance encounter in 2019 has blossomed into an intergenerational dialogue project that brings together younger and older LGBTQ folks. Adam Greteman, a gay philosopher and School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) faculty member, ...
|NATIONAL Nebraska measure, Williams Institute, Audre Lorde, journalist dies 2021-02-28|
- In Nebraska, the Lincoln City Council passed an ordinance that bans licensed mental-health professionals from subjecting LGBTQ youth to the discredited practice of conversion therapy, according to a Trevor Project ...
|Victory Institute condemns Rand Paul attack on
Dr. Rachel Levine, trans youth 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute condemned Senator Rand Paul's transphobic attack on Dr. Rachel Levine during her confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. He attacked trans you ...
|WORLD Canadian groups, Moroccan refugee, LGBT+ Rights Ghana, trans heroine 2021-02-21|
- From $400,000 in funding for a national initiative aimed at expanding two-spirit advocacy, to $239,000 to improve LGBTQ youth housing access in the Prairies, 76 Canadian community groups are being sent nearly $15 million from the ...
|Court Theatre announces 2021 Southside Youth Fest, platform for teens 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces Court's 2021 Southside Youth Fest, inviting South Side teens to submit original digi ...
|WORLD School items, Olympics, Angola law, Dutch senate 2021-02-14|
- Toronto's Catholic school board reinstated the link to an LGBT support phone line on its website following outrage from the community, according to Yahoo! News, citing The Canadian Press. The school board removed LGBT YouthLine from ...
|ACLU of Illinois reacts to Auditor General's report on LGBTQ youth in DCFS care 2021-02-10|
- In response to the Auditor General's report on LGBTQ youth in DCFS care, Ghirlandi Guidetti, Staff Attorney with the ACLU of Illinois made the following statement: "Today's Auditor General's report reveals a sad but unsurprising truth: ...