WINDY CITY TIMES
||Bud Billiken Parade to return this summer
This article shared 997 times since Thu Jun 3, 2021
The South Side event known as the Bud Billiken Parade will return Aug. 14, ABC7Chicago.com reported.
The parade is the largest Black parade in the world and the second-largest parade in the country.
Organizers said the parade will be produced in a "closed TV-set" format and COVID-19 protocols will be in effect. Last year's event was cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic. This year, the parade route will be abbreviated, taking place in Washington Park on Elsworth Drive from 51st to 55th streets.
In 1923, Chicago Defender founder Robert S. Abbott and his managing editor, Lucius Harper, formed the Bud Billiken Club. The mascot Bud the Billiken was conceived as a "protector of children," according to the parade's official website.
For more information, visit www.budbillikenparade.org .
This article shared 997 times since Thu Jun 3, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NIH LGBTQ+ webinar to be presented June 9 2022-05-23|
- On Thursday, June 9, 1-2:30 p.m. CT, the NIH Sexual & Gender Minority Research Office will host a special Pride edition of the Scientific Webinar Series to spotlight the recently released National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, ...
|NATIONAL Idaho groups, Clay Aiken, Radio Milwaukee, Louisville school 2022-05-22|
- In northern Idaho, two groups with different agendas plan to hold events on the same day (June 11) at Coeur d'Alene City Parkand both organizations have issued statements, according to the Bonner County Daily Bee. The ...
|For International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, Biphobia HRC highlights grants 2022-05-17|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, is commemorating International Day Against ...
|GLSEN holds Respect Awards in New York 2022-05-17|
- On May 16, the pro-LGBTQ+ education organization GLSEN held its New York Respect Awards in Gotham Hall. At its first in-person Respect Awards in three years, the organization introduced new Executive Director Melanie Willingham-Jaggers in their ...
|NATIONAL New York synod, Danica Roem, legal action, Pride news, PFLAG 2022-05-15|
- The Metropolitan New York Synod (MNYS), the regional body of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, announced Christopher Vergara as its newly elected vice president, according to a press release. Vergara is the first openly gay ...
|Los Angeles LGBT Center mourns passing of legendary LGBT activist, leader Urvashi Vaid 2022-05-15|
-- From a press release - LOS ANGELES, May 14, 2022—"The world has lost a giant in the movement for LGBTQ freedom, justice and equality. After a valiant battle with cancer, Urvashi Vaid died today," said Los Angeles LGBT Center CEO Lorri ...
|Nat'l Association of Black and White Men Together to hold July 6-9 conference 2022-05-14|
- The National Association of Black and White Men Togetherdescribed on its website as "a gay multicultural, anti-racism organization committed to fostering supportive environments wherein racial and cultural barriers can be ...
|Report: Malta is the best European country regarding LGBTQ+ rights 2022-05-14|
- An annual report courtesy of ILGA-Europe stated that Malta remains the best country in Europe for LGBTQ+ rights, Euronews noted. The association said that Malta (which scored 92 out of a possible 100) has maintained the ...
|Highwood Pride Fest taking place June 4 2022-05-12|
- The North Shore suburb of Highwood will hold its Pride Fest on Saturday, June 4. The full day of activities starts with a "Pride Rocks" family picnic at Everts Park at noon-3 p.m., followed by the (21+ ...
|Plaque unveiled in NYC to honor headquarters of NAACP, other progressive groups 2022-05-12|
- On May 11, Village Preservation and The New School were joined by historians David Levering Lewis, Amy Aronson, Brian McGrath and Stephen Brier for the unveiling of a plaque marking 70 Fifth Ave. as the historic ...
|LGBTQ Religious Archives Network holds 'AIDS, Activism and American Christianity' webinar 2022-05-12|
- LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) held an "AIDS, Activism and American Christianity: A Conversation" virtual webinar on May 5. The event focused on Christian activism during the height of the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 1980s and ...
|U.S. Senate Republicans and one Democrat block abortion-protection bill 2022-05-11|
- On May 11, the U.S. Senate failed to advance a Democrat-led bill that would enshrine broad protections for legal abortion nationwidea vote triggered by a leaked Supreme Court draft opinion that indicates Roe v. Wade will ...
|HRC calls for passage of the Women's Health Protection Act 2022-05-11|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, joined a growing number of organizations calling for the ...
|Deadline for Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame nominations is May 31 2022-05-10|
- The deadline to nominate individuals, businesses, organizations, and allies to the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame is on May 31 at midnight. Nominations may be made online at www.chicagolgbthalloffame.org/nominate. The goal is to honor people and ...
|Running squad 'Team to End AIDS' calls for participants to raise funds 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - (Chicago, IL) Over the last 19 years, TEAM TO ENDS AIDS (T2)—the only HIV charity fundraising marathon team in the Midwest—has raised more than $13 million for HIV/AIDS awareness and direct support for those living with ...