WINDY CITY TIMES
||Brujos, queer-of-color web series to premiere in Chicago
From a press release
This article shared 677 times since Wed Nov 1, 2017
The web series Brujos will have its World Premiere at the National Museum of Mexican Art Thursday, Nov. 9, 2017. The evening will be a celebration of communityand all that is supernatural and non-normativeand will include a screening of the series, followed by a Q&A with the filmmakers, and an after-party with music, light fare, and drinks.
Open TV, Full Spectrum Features and Cinema Libertad are excited to present this original series which follows the lives of four gay, Latino grad students ( who are also witches! ) as they try and survive the school semester and a witch hunt led by wealthy, white rich men that are a stand-in for white supremacy and heteropatriarchy.
The Brujos team are passionate about community and inclusivity, and want this event to reflect those values. All tickets can be found online at Eventbrite.com .
The screening starts at 7 p.m., immediately followed by the Q&A and party.
"I wrote BRUJOS before Pulse and before Trump. I never knew how timely it would become. But, a big part of the show is about our gay Latino Brujos teaming up with other witchesother queers and women of colorto take out the bad guys and forge a new world. I'm hoping my writing is also prophetic about that possibility," said Ricardo Gamboa.
Full Spectrum Features is a Chicago-based 501( c )( 3 ) nonprofit organization committed to increasing diversity in the media arts by producing, exhibiting, and supporting the work of women, LGBTQ, and minority filmmakers. Cinema Libertad is a Chicago-based video production and post-production company with a group of hard working folks who love moving images. Open TV is a Chicago-based platform for queer and intersectional television, currently a research project by Dr. Aymar Jean Christian, assistant professor of communication at Northwestern University.
Ricardo Gamboa is an award-winning artist, activist and academic creating radically politicized work in their native Chicago and New York City. Current projects include the webseries Brujos, the live news show The Hoodoisie and the play Meet Juan( ito ) Doe.
This article shared 677 times since Wed Nov 1, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|CIFF, featuring LGBTQ+ films, running through Oct. 24 2021-10-15|
- North America's longest-running competitive film festival, this year's event expands throughout Chicago with presentations at venues across the city, including at AMC River East 21; the Music Box Theatre; the Gene Siskel Film Center; special drive ...
|MOVIES Holiday comedy short centers on Muslim family and BIPOC queer relationship 2021-10-13|
- The short film The Syed Family Xmas Eve Game Night follows Noor, a Muslim queer woman, and her experience with bringing her Puerto Rican partner home to meet her family for the first time. When Noor's ...
|THEATER 'A Rocky Horror Picture Party' at The Den on Oct. 30-31 2021-10-12|
- Haven is presenting Science Fiction / Double Feature: A Rocky Horror Picture Partyan immersive Halloween experience that brings to life in vivid technicolor the world of the cult-classic filmdirected by ...
|PBS to air queer documentary 'Things We Dare Not Do' Oct. 25 2021-10-12|
- American Documentary | POV announced the national broadcast premiere of Things We Dare Not Do (Cosas que no hacemos), the second feature film from Mexican director and cinematographer Bruno Santamaría, as part of POV's 34th season. ...
|Madonna's latest concert film, Madame X, now out 2021-10-09|
- The concept film to Madonna's acclaimed Madame X Tour has debuted in the United States Latin America, Australia, the Nordics and Canada exclusively on Paramount+, the streaming service from ViacomCBS. Fans outside these markets can watch ...
|MOVIES Colman Domingo to star in Bayard Rustin biopic 2021-10-09|
- LGBTQ+ actor Colman Domingowho has been in movies such as Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and Candyman, and TV shows ranging from Fear the Walking Dead to The Big Gay Sketch Showhas landed the lead role the ...
|Filmmakers Bennett Singer, Patrick Sammon talk new documentary Cured 2021-10-07|
- Producer-directors Bennett Singer and Patrick Sammon have created a new LGBTQ documentary: Cured. The film tells the story of the LGBTQ activists, allies and events surrounding the American Psychiatric Association's ...
|Sisters in Cinema, DocuClub providing consulting opportunities to filmmakers 2021-10-07|
- Sisters in Cinemaa Chicago-based 501(C)3 that aims to center and celebrate Black girls, women and gender non-conforming media makersand DocuClub, a work-in-progress screening series, have entered into a strategic partnership ...
|Int'l Film Fest to premiere queer Muslim film directed by Chicagoan Fawzia Mirza 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - LOS ANGELES CA - THE SYED FAMILY XMAS EVE GAME NIGHT will have its U.S. premiere at the 57th edition of the Chicago International Film Festival running October 13 - 24, 2021. This comes on the ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Queer/Art,' sports items, Kevin Bacon, Indya Moore 2021-10-03|
- Queer|ArtNew York City's home for the creative and professional development of LGBTQ+ artistsannounced the fall season of Queer|Art|Film, returning in person through Dec. 13, a press release noted. The line-up ...
|WORLD Movie items, tennis survey, German politics, Thai court 2021-10-03|
- Kenya's Film Censorship Board (KFCB) banned I Am Samuel, claiming the documentary—which has a gay protagonist—contravenes Kenyan values, Human Rights Watch noted. In a statement, the KFCB denounced the film ...
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|SHOWBIZ Transgender Talent, celebrity deaths, film festival, Whitney Houston 2021-09-26|
- Transgender Talent—the trans-owned and operated management and production company—is looking to help Hollywood get better at portraying transgender and non-binary characters on screen with the launch of a new consulting ...
|MOVIES 24-hour horror marathon at Music Box on Oct. 23-24 2021-09-24|
- "The Music Box of Horrors," sponsored by CreepyCo., will return to the Music Box Theatre, 3733 N. Southport Ave., from noon on Saturday, Oct. 23 through noon on Sunday, Oct. 24. The event will include special ...
|'Firebird' opens Reeling Chicago LGBTQ+ Internat'l Film Fest tonight 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Illinois — Tonight, the 39th annual Reeling: The Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival invites audiences to enjoy an in-person pre-party and theater screening of 'Firebird' for Opening Night at the Music Box Theater. Director P ...