|Boyz and Grlz
by Brenna Conley-Fonda
This article shared 3212 times since Sun Feb 1, 2004
In the early 1990s, I was a very busy 10-year-old. I didn't have many friends, but my mom made sure my time after school was packed with extracurricular activities. When I jumped into the car after flag football practice, my spandex figure skating outfit was always laid out on the front seat so I could quickly strip off my sweatpants and pull on my tights and leotard. I fantasized about being on the tackle football team when I was old enough, and imagined a game running so late that I would have to skate in my bulky football pads. My flag football game did end later than usual one day and although I was wearing my leotard, my skating coach was angry. When my mom explained that I'd just arrived from my football game, the coach looked over at me with contempt. 'You've got bigger problems than being late,' she told me, 'you need to decide whether you want to be a boy or a girl.' Although I didn't understand at the time, I realize now that I've been refusing to make that decision ever since.
The choice is a difficult one to make, and choosing not to decide can be even harder. Even in seemingly progressive queer communities, someone is usually trying to make that decision for you. Most genderqueers and trans-identified people see my big pink hair and poofy dresses and assume that I identify as female. It is rare that anyone asks (or considers) what pronouns I prefer or how I choose to identify my gender. These limitations are forcing many people who don't conform to a strictly binary concept of gender out of the genderqueer community.
Within this column, I will explore gender as it is experienced and understood by people in Chicago's many queer and GLBT communities. Along with this article, I am currently working on a documentary that deals with many of these same issues, Little Boy Panties. I interviewed various people who in some way consider themselves to have a per formative feminine or femme aspect to their gender identity. In Little Boy Panties, I question gender, labels, and names as to what they really mean. I ask viewers to step outside themselves and think about gender in a more fluid way—a way in which a female-bodied person might pretend to be a woman, and your gender is as easy to change as your underwear. It will be premiering at the School of the Art Institute Gallery 2, 847 W. Jackson Blvd, Feb. 19 and 20 at 7 p.m..
This article shared 3212 times since Sun Feb 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Chicago Red Stars announce partnership with Wintrust 2024-02-27
Press release - CHICAGO (Feb. 27, 2024) — The Chicago Red Stars and Wintrust Financial Corporation announced a partnership that will see Wintrust become the club's new front-of-jersey partner and community outreach investment ...
|Chicago Bears hire first woman assistant coach 2024-02-21
- The Chicago Bears are hiring Jennifer King as an offensive assistant, according to The Chicago Sun-Times and other media outlets. She will be an assistant running backs coach. Kingwho will become the first female assistant coach ...
|Brittney Griner's jersey retired at Baylor University 2024-02-20
- On Feb. 18, Baylor University retired Brittney Griner's #42 jersey. Grinera two-time AP national player of the year, two-time Olympic gold medalist and the NCAA women's career blocks leader (with 748)attended a Bears home game ...
|Six Chicago Red Stars called for international play 2024-02-15
- CHICAGO (Feb. 15, 2024) — Six Chicago Red StarsJill Aguilera, Julia Bianchi, Sam Fisher, Natalia Kuikka, Alyssa Naeher and Mallory Swansonhave been called up to represent their respective countries during ...
|Republicans file bill to ban trans women from U.S. Olympic teams 2024-02-12
- Republicans in both houses of Congress have launched another effort to ban transgender women and girls from female sports teamsand this time, they are attempting to ban trans women from competing on U.S. Olympic teams ahead ...
|GLAAD finds missed chances for LGBTQ+ inclusion in Super Bowl ads 2024-02-12
--From a press release - Sunday, Feb. 11, 2024 — GLAAD is reacting to a lack of LGBTQ storytelling in ads that aired duringSuper Bowl LVIII on Feb. 11 and is reminding brands, corporations and advertising agencies why including the LGBTQ ...
|SHOWBIZ Raven-Symone, women's sports, Wayne Brady, Jinkx Monsoon, British Vogue 2024-02-09
- In celebration of Black History Month, the LA LGBT Center announced that lesbian entertainer Raven-Symone will be presented with the Center's Bayard Rustin Award at its new event, Highly Favored, per a press release. She joins ...
|GLAAD, NFL host third annual pre-Super Bowl event 'A Night of Pride' 2024-02-08
- On Feb. 7, LGBTQ+ media-advocacy organization GLAAD, along with The National Football League (NFL), hosted the third annual "A Night of Pride" at Caesar's Palace in Super Bowl LVIII's host city of Las Vegas, a press ...
|Chicago Red Stars appoint Richard Feuz as general manager 2024-02-05
--From a press release - CHICAGO (February 5, 2024) — The Chicago Red Stars have named Richard Feuz as the team's next general manager to complete a brand-new leadership team in guiding the Red Stars into an exciting era. Feuz joins ...
|LGBTQ+ figure skaters win gold, silver at U.S. Championships 2024-01-28
- LGBTQ+ figure skater Amber Glenn nailed a triple axel and clinched her first senior U.S. title on Jan. 26 at the 2024 Prevagen U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Columbus, Ohio, per a U.S. Figure Skating report. ...
|SPORTS Chicago Hounds' Nick McCarthy reflects on being out in professional rugby 2024-01-24
- In recent years, people from numerous high-profile fields have publicly declared themselves as members of the LGBTQ+ community. Among them have been individuals from tech (such as OpenAI CEO Sam Altman and Apple CEO Tim Cook), ...
|Chicago Red Stars set 2024 preseason roster 2024-01-23
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Jan. 23, 2024) — The Chicago Red Stars have set their preseason roster ahead of the 2024 National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) season. 17 of the 35 players on the preseason roster are returning Red ...
|Tara VanDerveer becomes winningest coach in college basketball 2024-01-22
- Stanford University women's basketball coach and gender-rights advocate Tara VanDerveer became the college-basketball coach with the most wins ever on Jan. 21, media outlets reported. After her team defeated Oregon State 65-56, VanDerveer has 1,203 ca ...
|Chicago Fire FC announces 2024 theme nights; Pride Night will be June 1 2024-01-19
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Jan. 18, 2024) — Chicago Fire FC announced the club's theme nights for select home matches during the 2024 regular season, driven by Carvana. The Club's 2024 calendar features 11 theme nights, including the return ...
|Chicago Red Stars sign Mallory Swanson to historic contract 2024-01-16
- CHICAGO (January 16, 2024) — The Chicago Red Stars have signed Mallory Swanson to a historic long-term contract, making it the most lucrative agreement in the history of the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) and seeing ...
|NATIONAL Chuck Schumer, anti-marriage bill, drag event back on, military doctor
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted
|SHOWBIZ Kristen Stewart, Rock Hudson, Talia Keys, 'True Detective,' Marvel comic
|911 calls, videos show cascade of failures in Nex Benedict's death, GLAAD responds
|Howard Brown Health Names Robin Gay, DMD as Interim President and CEO