WINDY CITY TIMES
||Boystown wins tops in gay neighborhoods
This article shared 10021 times since Thu Jan 2, 2014
Out Traveler has named Chicago's Boystown area as top "Incomparable Gay Neighborhood" in an annual rating by the magazine.
The runner-up is The Mission in San Francisco.
Here is what Out Traveler noted about Boystown, which is centered around Halsted between Belmont and Waveland: "Are you surprised? Chicago's sizeable and friendly LGBT neighborhood, referred to as'Boystown' ( and sometimes 'Wrigleyville' ), was voted best gay neighborhood in the world, beating areas in other cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Barcelona, and Madrid. Chicago's Boystown, centered around Halsted Street, was the nation's first officially-recognized gay village in the U.S. and is the home to a large Pride celebration, as well as Market Days, an unrivaled August street party. The neighborhood has everything you could want: bars, clubs, restaurants, architecture, walkability, its own El stop, and now marriage equality ( Illinois legalized same-sex unions in 2012 ). It also seems more welcoming than some other gayborhoods that shall remain nameless. ..."
See www.outtraveler.com/best-travel/out-traveler-awards-2013/2014/01/01/out-traveler-award-winner-incomparable-gay .
This article shared 10021 times since Thu Jan 2, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|COVID California, Puerto Rico off Chicago's travel advisory list; others return 2021-09-21|
- On Sept. 22, the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) took one state and one territoryCalifornia and Puerto Ricooff its weekly COVID-19 Travel Advisory, while Connecticut and the District of Columbia returned to the advisory. The ...
|Gay Games XI postponed because of pandemic 2021-09-16|
- Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the upcoming Gay Games XI have been moved from November 2022 to November 2023, Outsports reported. "Given the ongoing uncertainty regarding the state of travel restrictions internationally and in Hong Kong, ...
|COVID Connecticut, D.C., removed from Chicago's travel advisory 2021-09-14|
- On Sept. 14, the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) took one stateConnecticutand the District of Columbia off its weekly COVID-19 travel advisory. The advisory now includes 48 states and three territories, as daily COVID case ...
|TRAVEL Local hotels make Travel + Leisure's 'Best' lists 2021-09-12|
- Hotels in Chicago were among those honored in Travel + Leisure's annual best-of lists, with readers serving as voters. ...
|COVID Chicago's travel advisory now includes all states outside Illinois 2021-09-08|
- The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH), on Sept. 8, added one state—Vermont—to its weekly COVID-19 travel advisory. The advisory now includes every state and territory in the country, as COVID continues to surge across the ...
|Get Out! LGBTQ travelers show how to travel safely this fall 2021-09-01|
By Ed Salvato, courtesy of the National LGBT Media Association - Just when we thought it was safe to hit the road, we were walloped by the Delta variant, the latest plot twist in the 18-month-and-counting pandemic story. The surprising data that fully vaccinated people could transmit ...
|Pride Journey: Colorado Springs 2021-09-01|
- Did you know that Colorado Springs is also known as Olympic City U.S.A.? Neither did I. Not only is the city home to the U.S. Olympic Training Center, but Colorado Springs recently celebrated the grand opening ...
|The U.S. of Gay 2021-09-01|
Must sees and dos for out-and-proud wanderlusters - 51 ab-fab road-trip destinations and pit stops—one in each state and the District of Columbia—that are must sees and dos for out-and-proud wanderlusters There are a million things to love about traveling the United States—from our ...
|Chicago now has 48 states in travel advisory 2021-09-01|
- On Aug. 31, the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) added five states — Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan and New Hampshire, as well as the District of Columbia and Guam—to its weekly COVID-19 travel advisory. Vermont ...
|COVID Chicago adds four states to travel advisory 2021-08-25|
- The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) most recently added four statesColorado, Maryland, Nebraska and South Dakotato its weekly COVID-19 Travel Advisory. There are now 43 states and two territories ...
|COVID Chicago adds 12 states to travel advisory 2021-08-11|
- Chicago added 12 states to its travel advisory on Aug. 10, recommending that unvaccinated people entering the city from those areas test negative for COVID-19 or quarantine upon arrival, according to NBC Chicago. The 12 new ...
|ATTRACTIONS Chicago's First Lady offers a premium architectural tour 2021-08-05|
- Recently, USA Today selected the Chicago Architecture Foundation's Chicago's First Lady cruise as the best boat tour in the countryand it's easy to see why. (By the way, it also was voted the top boat tour ...
|Chicago adds five states, Puerto Rico to COVID travel advisory 2021-08-04|
- On Aug. 3, Chicago added five states and Puerto Rico to its travel advisory, recommending that unvaccinated people entering the city from those areas test negative for COVID-19 or quarantine upon arrival, according to NBC Chicago. ...
|Passenger claims rainbow mask was banned; airline responds 2021-07-29|
- On his flight out of Los Angeles International Airport earlier this month for a 46th birthday vacation in Greece, gay West Hollywood resident Scott Schmidt donned a rainbow-colored surgical mask in order to adhere to the ...
|Soapbox travels to Chicago to raise hand-hygiene awareness 2021-07-21|
- Clean beauty company Soapbox unveiled the world's biggest bottle of soap in New York City's Times Square on July 15, marking the launch of a multi-city tour aimed at raising awareness for the importance of hand ...