WINDY CITY TIMES
||Blagojevich Names New Head of Division of Insurance
This article shared 2638 times since Wed Mar 16, 2005
Gov. Rod Blagojevich has named Michael T. McRaith as the new director of the Illinois Division of Insurance, within the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. McRaith will oversee the division responsible for regulating the insurance industry.
McRaith, 39, an attorney with 15 years of legal experience, has practiced commercial litigation with an emphasis on legal matters involving regulated institutions including the insurance industry. McRaith is a partner at the national law firm McGuireWoods, LLP and works in the commercial litigation department.
McRaith, who is openly gay, lives in Chicago and is a member of the boards of directors of the Chicago Chapter of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the AIDS Foundation of Chicago. He is also affiliated with the American Bar Association, Litigation Section and is a member of the Chicago Bar Association.
This article shared 2638 times since Wed Mar 16, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Germany's compensation, Lyra McKee, LGBTQ Afghans, tennis player 2021-09-19|
- Germany has compensated almost 250 people who were prosecuted or investigated under a Nazi-era law criminalizing homosexuality, according to euronews. By September, 317 people had applied for compensation for their ...
|Patrick J. Kennedy to receive award from Trilogy at virtual gala 2021-09-18|
- Chicago-based Trilogy Behavioral Healthcare will present its Partner in Recovery Award to The Kennedy Forum founder, mental-health advocate and former Congressman Patrick J. Kennedy as a part of its virtual 50th-anniversary gala on Thursday, Oct. 21. ...
|Polis marriage marks first same-sex wedding of sitting governor 2021-09-17|
- On Sept. 15, Colorado Democratic Gov. Jared Polis wed longtime partner Marlon Reis—marking the first same-sex marriage of a sitting U.S. governor, NPR reported. Polis keeps making history. In 2018, Polis became the first openly gay ...
|Hastert settles sexual-abuse lawsuit 2021-09-16|
- Days before a trial was set to begin, former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert reached a tentative settlement in a hush-money lawsuit filed by a man whose decades-old sexual-abuse allegations led to the politician's downfall six ...
|Now, only five of Chicago's 50 aldermen reject automatic pay raises 2021-09-16|
- Forty-five out of 50 Chicago aldermen have opted to accept a 5.5% pay increase in 2022 that will push the highest paid among them to an annual salary of more than $130,000, according to The Chicago Tribune. ...
|Chicago alderman apologizes for 'offensive words' 2021-09-15|
- Jim Gardiner, alderman of Chicago's 45th Ward, apologized during the Sept. 14 Chicago City Council meeting for his "offensive words" but said he "never acted on any of those rants" in which he appeared to call ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs transformative energy legislation for Illinois 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Delivering on principles previously laid out, Governor JB Pritzker signed landmark legislation into law that puts the state on a path toward 100% clean energy, invests in training a diverse workforce for the jobs ...
|Gavin Newsom wins Calif. recall election 2021-09-15|
- On Sept. 14, California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom defeated a GOP-backed effort to remove him from office, media outlets reported. Speaking from Sacramento, Newsom thanked Californians for rejecting the recall effort, according to CNN.com. He also ...
|Catholic theologians urge protections for LGBTQ+ people 2021-09-14|
- More than 750 of the nation's leading Catholic theologians, church leaders, scholars, educators and writers have joined New Ways Ministry in voicing support for nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people, according to a New Ways press release. ...
|'Homophile' organization New Gay Liberation Front launches 2021-09-13|
- The New Gay Liberation Frontwhich described itself in a press release as a "homophile organization"has launched. "Homophile" is a term that was used by some gay and lesbian groups in the 1950s. According to the University ...
|NATIONAL Teachers, GLAAD talks HRC, 9/11 items, Dr. Rachel Levine 2021-09-12|
- In North Carolina, a former teacher won a lawsuit against Charlotte Catholic High School and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte after he lost his job following an announcement on Facebook that he planned to marry ...
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|Lightfoot attends 'Parade of Hearts' public-art installation series launch 2021-09-09|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (September 8, 2021) The Love, Unity & Values (LUV) Institute, a Chicago non-profit, unveiled a new series of neighborhood art installations Sept. 8 to launch the Parade of Hearts, an initiative to commemorate the ...
|HRC fires its president, Alphonso David 2021-09-07|
- On Sept. 6, the national LGBTQ+ organization the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) fired its president, Alphonso David, for advising now-former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) during his sexual-harassment scandal ...
|Afghan LGBTQs in peril, with little help in sight 2021-09-06|
- Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of LGBT Afghan citizens, who dared to take modest steps toward living openly when their country was under the occupation and influence of a more tolerant "western culture," are now literally hiding in ...