||Black, gay Men of the South Featured in Theater Performance
This article shared 6112 times since Sun Oct 1, 2006
How do gay Black men survive life in Dublin, Ga., Jasper, Texas, Hickory, N.C. and other places big and small in America's South? The answers to this and other questions asked of 70 gay, African American men living in the South by a Northwestern University professor are the basis of Sweet Tea, a dramatic reading Saturday, Oct. 21. Free and open to the public, Sweet Tea will be performed at 8 p.m. in the Wallis Theatre in Northwestern's Theatre and Interpretation Center, 1949 Campus Drive, Evanston campus.
Sweet Tea is based on a book about gay Black life in the South. The book by E. Patrick Johnson, also titled Sweet Tea, will be published by University of North Carolina Press.Johnson's dramatic reading will be the final event of a free, one-day Black Performance Studies symposium featuring speakers on topics from African theatre to African American feminism.
Call ( 847 ) 491-3171. For a complete schedule of the symposium, visit the www.communication.northwestern.edu/performancestudies/news/blackperformance/.
This article shared 6112 times since Sun Oct 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ 'The World to Come' film, Dan Reynolds, Broadway, Green Lantern 2021-03-07|
- The lesbian-themed film The World to Come is available to buy or rent, a press release noted. In this 19th-century romance (from Bleeker Street) that's set in the Northeast, Abigail (played by Katherine Waterston), a farmer's ...
|THEATER Global, Grindr-based 'Borders' to run Feb. 25-27
- Dirty Laundry Theatre's virtual experience Borders, directed by Chicago resident Michael R. Piazza, will feature three live shows on Feb. 25-27. Written by Nimrod Danishman and directed by Piazza, Borders tells the story of two gay ...
|'You For Me For You' benefit on Feb. 28
- Sideshow Theatre Company will launch its 2021 season with a one-night-only benefit screening of its 2018 hit You For Me For You, written by Mia Chung and directed by ensemble member Elly Green. The archival recording ...
|Court Theatre announces 2021 Southside Youth Fest, platform for teens 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces Court's 2021 Southside Youth Fest, inviting South Side teens to submit original digi ...
|Court Theatre premieres spotlight podcast highlighting Black writers 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces the online premiere of its Spotlight Podcast. A key component of Court's community ...
|Next 'OUTspoken' event March 2
- The next session of OUTspokena monthly storytelling event that centers on tales of fun and fortune from local LGBTQ+ men and women and their close friendswill take place Tuesday, March 2, at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...
|Stage Left Theatre announces new Literary Manager 2021-02-13|
--From a press release - Stage Left Theatre is delighted to announce Bobbi Masters as our new Literary Manager. She is an artist/educator with a passion for new work who has been involved in various phases of new play development throughout ...
|Where Did We Sit on the Bus? online streaming production starts Feb. 22 2021-02-04|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL— Victory Gardens Theater and Geva Theatre Center announce the online streaming production of Brian Quijada's music-infused production of Where Did We Sit on the Bus?, written and performed by Brian Quijada and directed by ...
|Actors Gym opens another venue, will hold in-person classes
- Actors Gym announced the opening of a third studio in Evanston's Noyes Cultural Arts Center and a new, expanded class curriculum. The facility will be primarily dedicated to the nine month Professional Training Program's new Clown ...
|Actor, writer Lena Waithe to headline screenwriting conference at DePaul U 2021-01-26|
--From a press release - CHICAGO Emmy Award-winning writer, creator, producer and actor Lena Waithe of "Twenties," "The Chi" and "Queen & Slim" will headline DePaul University's Courier 12 Screenwriting Conference Feb. 5-6. DePaul's School of Cinematic Arts will pr ...
|African American Arts Alliance, Black Ensemble Theater Martin Luther King Day 2021-01-25|
--From a press release - The African American Arts Alliance of Chicago and Black Ensemble Theater present the 10th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration on Monday, January 18, 2021 at 6:00pm. The jubilant, online event is free will be ...
|THEATER A Red Orchid Theatre running magical 'Missed Connections' Feb. 2-28 2021-01-19|
- A Red Orchid Theatre is presenting Missed Connectionsa live, interactive play with magic, conceived for virtual experience, co-written by Jon Tai and Alex Gruhin, performed by magician Jon Tai and produced by Alex Gruhinon Feb. 2-28. ...
|Virtual OUTspoken storytelling event Feb. 2
- The next virtual OUTspoken Storytelling Night will take place Feb. 2 at 7 p.m. The speakers will be as follows: Donald Bell is a third-generation Chicagoan, South Sider and White Sox fan who is a retired ...
|'Dixie's Happy Hour' streaming Jan. 26-31
- On the heels of Dixie's Tupperware Party and Dixie's: Never Wear a Tube Top While Riding a Mechanical Bull (and 16 other things I learned while I was drinking last Thursday), drag personality Dixie Longate is ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions to present
Out, Darn Spot! 2021-01-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Jan. 15, 2021) — Hell in a Handbag Productions is pleased to present the campy comedyOut, Darn Spot!, written by and starring ensemble member Tyler Anthony Smith* and directed, filmed and edited by Stephanie Shaw. ...