WINDY CITY TIMES
||Black Gay Men's Caucus holds annual LoveFest
by Vern Hester
This article shared 3106 times since Tue Jul 9, 2019
On July 6, The Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus, in partnership with Rails Marketing Group and David Dodd Productions, presented the annual LoveFest at The Promontory in Hyde Park. This year's festival featured a brunch buffet; entertainment from Ms. Ruff N Stuff, Otis Mack and Flame Monroe; and beats by Darryl Garcon and DJ Superman.
In previous iterations, the event featured a health village; however, this year the focus was on socializing, with a separate event focusing on health set for later in the year. Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus Executive Director Erik Glenn said, "We like to try different approaches to things."
Also, the Caucus will be launching The Prosperity Projecta three-year campaign to eliminate HIV among Black gay/bisexual and same-gender-loving men in Chicagoland. The project will target the underlying causes of the HIV epidemic by improving access to healthcare and reducing unemployment.
For more information on the Caucus, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
This article shared 3106 times since Tue Jul 9, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Queer Berwyn Collective holds march, rally 2021-06-11|
- On June 8, the Queer Berwyn Collective held a march and rally. According to a pre-event press release, the group discussed "why Ald. [Scott] Lennon's exclusionary flags that call June 'Gay' Pride Month are problematic," adding ...
|Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame seeks members for selection committee 2021-06-10|
- The Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame, celebrating its 30th anniversary, invited the LGBTQ+ community to nominate individuals, organizations, businesses, and allies for the 2021 Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame and the response was tremendous. The Chicago ...
|Wade to receive Field Foundation leadership grant 2021-06-10|
- Activist LaSaia Wade, who founded the LGBTQ-centered advocacy Brave Space Alliance (BSA), and is currently its executive director, has been named one of Chicago-based Field Foundation's 2021 Leaders for a New Chicago cohort. The distinction, f ...
|Pritzker Military Museum to hold panel on Department of Defense and transgender employees 2021-06-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, June 8, 2021 — The Pritzker Military Museum & Library is proud to present a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wednesday, June 23rd at Noon CDT ...
|New Broadway Youth Center being readied for 2021 opening 2021-06-10|
- Work continues on Howard Brown Health's (Howard Brown) new 20,000 square-foot Broadway Youth Center (BYC) facility at 1053 W. Irving Park Rd. BYC has spent years looking for a permanent home. After launching in Lake View, ...
|Howard Brown Health looks ahead to post-pandemic Chicago 2021-06-10|
- As more Chicagoans get vaccinated against the COVID-19 infection, officials at Howard Brown Health (Howard Brown) are preparing their responses to a health landscape that will likely be much different from what it was before the ...
|Pritzker Military Museum hosting June 23 Pride panel 2021-06-09|
- Chicago's Pritzker Military Museum & Library is presenting a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wed., June 23, at noon CT in celebration of Pride Month. The virtual ...
|Howard Brown Health announces first Fellowship Class of Future Public Leaders Program 2021-06-09|
--From a Howard Brown Health press release - (Chicago, Ill., June 7, 2021) - Howard Brown Health is honored to announce the first six fellows to receive paid internships as part of the Gregory Shapen Public Health Fellowship Endowment Fund. The program was established ...
|Lambda Literary Award winners announced 2021-06-09|
- On June 1, Lambda Literary announced the winners of its 33rd Annual Lambda Literary Awards. The winners were selected by a panel of more than 60 literary professionals from more than 1,000 book submissions from more ...
|Illinois Holocaust Museum Panel Discussion: Pride in the time of COVID-19 2021-06-07|
--From a press release - The global pandemic has been a roadblock to traditions and celebrations for consecutive years. Since the 1970s, the last Sunday in June was an opportunity for thousands of LGBTQ+ individuals to celebrate their individuality, to be ...
|"People's Pride" to replace corporate parade this June 2021-06-04|
--From a press release - LGBTQ activists organizing under the banner #PrideWithoutPrejudice, who proudly participated in the year-long #blacklivesmatter uprising since George Floyd's murder by police, are organizing two inclusive "People's Pride" actions in the ...
|Mayor Lori Lightfoot to kick off "A Legacy of Pride" June 7 2021-06-04|
--From a press release - The Legacy Project and Rep. Lamont Robinson will present "A Legacy of Pride" at Chicago's Legacy Walk Outdoor LGBTQ+ History Museum/Jane Addams Memorial, 3600 N. Halsted St. on June 7 at 10:30 a.m. Mayor Lori Lightfoot ...
|Bud Billiken Parade to return this summer 2021-06-03|
- The South Side event known as the Bud Billiken Parade will return Aug. 14, ABC7Chicago.com reported. The parade is the largest Black parade in the world and the second-largest parade in the country. Organizers said the ...
|Wisconsin LGBTQ History fundraiser honors 60th anniversary of LGBTQ uprising 2021-06-01|
--From a press release - Milwaukee, WI - As Pride Month kicks off today across America, the Wisconsin LGBTQ History Project is launching a campaign to celebrate the birthplace of "pride" in Wisconsin, recognize a turning point in local LGBTQ history, ...
|Chicago LGBT veterans honor the fallen on Memorial Day 2021-05-31|
- The Chicago Chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) honored the fallen on Memorial Day with flowers at the granite monument on Halsted Street and Addison which honors LGBTQ veterans. The monument was commissioned ...