||Bishop Eddie Long to step down temporarily
News update posted Monday, Dec. 5, 2011
This article shared 3002 times since Mon Dec 5, 2011
Embattled Bishop Eddie Long, who leads the 25,000-member New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia, Ga., is temporarily stepping down from the pulpit, the New York Times reported.
Several men accused Long, 58,a longtime opponent of the LGBT community and marriage equalityof sexual coercion when they were teens; in May, he settled with them for an undisclosed amount.
Long's announcement came after wife Vanessa, 53, filed for divorce Dec. 1. She and Eddie have four children.
During services Dec. 4, Eddie Long told congregants he was still their senior pastor and would continue to provide spiritual direction, but that he needed time to take care of "some family business." Members supported him and said they would stay until he returns.
This article shared 3002 times since Mon Dec 5, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|The Rev. Paul Rausenbush talks LGBTQ+ rights, 'Christian nationalism' and more 2023-08-10|
- The Parliament of the World Religionsa dialogue between key members of various faithswill take place Aug. 14-18 at McCormick Place in Chicago. Keynote speakers and panelists will include Chicago Mayor ...
|Study: More than 70% of U.S. adults oppose using religion to discriminate against LGBTQ people 2023-06-15|
--From a press release - Large majorities of U.S. adults oppose denying medical care, employment, and business services to LGBTQ people based on religious beliefs, according to a new report from the Williams Institute ...
|Lambda Legal applauds re-introduction of Federal Do No Harm Act 2023-04-19|
--From a press release - "As the Supreme Court gets ready possibly to expand even further the ability of businesses to use religion to discriminate, the federal RFRA law absolutely needs this fix."—Lambda Legal Chief Legal Officer Jennifer C. Pizer (Washington, ...
|ELECTIONS 2023 Mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson discusses religion, LGBTQ+ issues, holistic approach 2023-03-22|
- Chicago mayoral candidates Brandon Johnson and Paul Vallas seem to have little in common. Johnson, a Cook County commissioner, has embraced a more progressive platform that employs everything from a more holistic approach to crime to ...
|VIEWPOINT Patriarch Kirill: Darth Putin's Altar Boy 2023-03-01|
- Christianity—based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, who preached love as the most important expression of religion—has often been co-opted and distorted to support wars, persecutions and ...
|SHOWBIZ Religion movie, Laverne Cox, 'Will & Grace,' Jeopardy!, Elton John 2022-09-11|
- The LGBTQ+ film Wonderfully MadeLGBTQ+R(eligion) will have its New York premiere at the Woodstock Film Festival on Thursday, Sept. 29, following its world premiere at Out in Film in Atlanta on Saturday, Sept. 24, per a ...
|LETTERS The Church should practice love and constructive dialogue, not hate 2022-07-25|
- Another U.S. diocese has issued new restrictive policies regarding LGBTQ issues in Catholic schools, and its new directives compare being openly transgender with sexual abuse. The Roman Catholic Church is having an internal dialogue on how ...
|VIEWPOINT: LETTERS Pride: Remembering who we are 2022-05-30|
- The LGBTQAI community echoes the mantra of secular society: Happiness comes from sex, money and power. Life is too busy with work and leisure to have time for religion and/or values. During this period of Pride ...
|VIEWPOINT On A Scale of 1 to 10: Sex, Religion, Power, Politics--A Public Meditation 2022-04-03|
- QUESTION: "On a scale of one to 10, how faithful would you say you are, in terms of religion?"—U.S Sen. Lindsey Graham (R), South Carolina RESPONSE: "… there's no religious test in the Constitution under Article ...
|New Supreme Court session: Religion dominates 2021-10-04|
- First in the spotlight as the U.S. Supreme Court begins its new session Monday (October 4) is the seemingly precarious state of the right to abortion, an issue LGBT groups have long considered to be of ...
|Groundbreaking drag-queen ministry candidate speaks at Illinois UMC
- Hope United Methodist Church (in Bloomington, Illinois) celebrated Drag Sunday on April 11 with a message from Ms. Penny Cost, Religion News Service reported. The Illinois Great Rivers Conference's Vermillion ...
|WORLD Gender-identity studies, religion items, Hungary's ban 2020-12-21|
- Romania's Constitutional Court overturned a ban on gender-identity studies voted through by lawmakers but which rights groups and universities said would infringe on human rights and fuel discrimination, Openly News ...
|VIEWPOINT The common thread of LGBTQ+ stigma and mental health 2020-09-02|
- The relationship between the LGBTQ+ community and mental health has always varied from country to country. But when religion enters the conversation, a whole new aspect escalates the stigma. Countries all over the world have high ...
|Supreme Court on religious employers, contraceptive coverage under ACA, NCLR responds 2020-07-08|
--From a NCLR press release - WASHINGTON, DC — The Supreme Court issued two important decisions today that significantly change the relationship between freedom of religion and anti-discrimination protections. In Our Lady of Guadalupe School v. ...
|NUNN ON ONE MUSIC Rufus Wainwright on new album, Pride, future 2020-07-08|
- Out and proud performer Rufus Wainwright has always been and continues to be the thinking man's musician. His songs run deep with sometimes heavy lyrics covering topics such as family relationships, politics and religion. For those ...
|SHOWBIZ Outfest, Halo, 'Sex Education,' trans singer, 'Doctor Who'|
|NATIONAL Bisexual politicians, DADT, NBJC awards, crimes, Buttigieg|
|WORLD African efforts, HIV in Amsterdam, Donatella Versace, 'The Queen in Me'|
|MUSIC Former 'Idol' finalist Jim Verraros on his new song, Chicago and Kelly Clarkson|
|Support group for LGBT widows and widowers unites members in grief|