WINDY CITY TIMES
||BiNet USA wins; Google removes bisexual from banned words
From a news release
This article shared 2458 times since Mon Sep 10, 2012
(Los Angeles, CA, September 4, 2012)BiNet USA is pleased to confirm that Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) has unblocked the term "bisexual" from its search algorithm. Now that "bisexual" is allowed, terms such as "bisexual quotes", "bisexual rights", and "bisexual parenting" are automatically suggested to Google users. "It's not every day one of the biggest companies in the world changes its mind, but we are thankful that Google now sees bisexual people just like everyone else," said BiNet USA President Faith Cheltenham. "It will take time for bisexual search terms to be ranked as they were before the ban, but now bisexual people and their allies have a fighting chance to be seen, heard, and understood."
Since late 2009, Google has had "bisexual" on a list of banned words; such words were de-prioritized by the Google search algorithm, leading to a drop in search rankings for all bisexual organizations and community resources. Since its search engine would not auto-suggest or auto-complete any term with the word "bisexual", Google made it harder for any user to find bisexual content, whether that be on coming out as bisexual or finding local support groups across the United States and elsewhere.
BiNet USA spearheaded a campaign to get Google to unblock the word and stop harming a deeply marginalized community even further. Along with allies and community members around the world, BiNet USA called on Google to stop exponentially increasing the bisexual invisibility field and start treating bisexual people just like gay and straight individuals ("Google's Bisexual Problem", www.huffingtonpost.com/faith-cheltenham/google-instant-search-bisexual_b_1682654.html ). Said National Center for Lesbian Rights Executive Director Kate Kendell, "We thank Google for making the right call here and for acting as a responsive corporate citizen committed to dignity and equality."
BiNet USA and bisexuals around the world applaud Google for doing the right thing, just in time for the annual Global Bi Pride Day, "Celebrate Bisexuality Day" on September 23rd, 2012.
As America's advocacy organization for bisexual, pansexual, fluid, queer-identified and unlabeled people, BiNet USA facilitates the development of a cohesive network of independent bisexual and bi-friendly communities; promotes bisexual, pansexual, and bi-inclusive visibility; and collects and distributes educational information regarding sexual orientation and gender identity with an emphasis on the bisexual, pansexual, and allied communities.
4201 Wilson Blvd. #110-311 Arlington, VA 22203-1859, 1-800-585-9368,BiNetUSA@BiNetUSA.org
This article shared 2458 times since Mon Sep 10, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|National groups kick off #BiWeek to celebrate bisexuality+ visibility 2021-09-16|
- Sept. 16 marks the start of #BiWeek, an annual digital campaign to accelerate acceptance for the bisexual+ (bi, pansexual, fluid, queer, unlabeled, etc.) community, according to a joint press release from the organizations The Bisexual Resource ...
|Report features eight Illinois child-welfare agencies working with HRC Foundation 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released a new report ...
|GLAAD highlights how Olympians used Tokyo Games to call for LGBTQ acceptance 2021-08-11|
--From a press release - (August 11, 2021) GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is highlighting how this year's historic number of out LGBTQ athletes repeatedly stood ...
|TRUE CONFESSIONS: JOHN WESLEY HARDING 2000-11-22|
SINGER DISCUSSES HIS MUSIC, BISEXUALITY AND MORE - John Wesley Harding performs at Schuba's Nov. 26 The buzz about The Confessions of St. Ace (Mammoth), John Wesley Harding's new album, begins long before "Humble Bee," the opening track. Praised as Wes's best album, you ...
|Chicago photographer, activist Ed Negron dies [UPDATED] 2021-07-24|
- Ed Negron—an activist, Army veteran and substance-abuse counselor who served for many years as a dedicated bisexual volunteer, mentor, leader and advocate in the LGBTQ, Latino and recovering communities—passed away ...
|THEATER Chicago ensemble presenting play on bisexuality 2021-07-15|
- The Trance, a Chicago-based theater ensemble, returns to the stage with Riding the Bicycle. It will be performed at The Edge Theatre, 5451 N. Broadway, on Friday-Saturday, July 30-31, at 8 p.m. According to an email ...
|VIEWPOINT Pride at work 2021-06-23|
- Pride Month is a chance for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) people to be proud and visible in a world that tells us not to be. Pride Month is a chance to celebrate and ...
|Buffalo Grove teen among GLAAD's '20 Under 20'
- Molly Pintaa 15-year-old who was the catalyst behind Pride celebrations in Buffalo Grove, including this year's Pride Driveis listed in Teen Vogue as one of GLAAD's second annual 20 Under 20 list. Pinta is a bisexual ...
|Billy Masters 2021-06-14|
- "Now, therefore, I, Joseph R. Biden Jr., President of the United States of America … do hereby proclaim June 2021 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Pride Month. I call upon the people of the ...
|HIV at 40: Erie Family Health Center, focused on helping at-risk communities 2021-06-10|
- HIV/AIDS disproportionately affects Black communities—with Black gay and bisexual Black men and Black trans women being the most affected population than any other group in the country. More specifically, one in two Black MSM (men who ...
|NBC Out releases annual #Pride30 list 2021-06-05|
--From a press release - NBC Out, part of NBCNews.com, has released its annual #Pride30 list, recognizing members of the LGBTQ community around the world who are making a difference. This year's list honors 30 lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer ...
|GLAAD at Pride: Protect the most vulnerable among us 2021-06-01|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Tuesday, June 1, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today released a statement to honor the start of Pride Month, highlighting the ...
|HRC, leading policy, health organizations call for LGBTQ-inclusive sexual education 2021-05-25|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) civil rights organization, in partnership with leading ...
|Trevor Project releases 2021 National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health 2021-05-19|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — May 19, 2021 — The Trevor Project, the world's largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people ...
|GLAAD issues inaugural Social Media Safety Index 2021-05-10|
--From a press release - New York, NY - May 10, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced the findings of its inaugural Social Media Safety Index (SMSI), a 50-page ...